Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

F.B.I. Employee Admits Stealing Case Files
The New York Times | September 5, 2001 | By AL BAKER

Posted on 09/05/2001 10:01:38 AM PDT by Wallaby

Not for commercial use. Solely to be used for the educational purposes of research and open discussion.

F.B.I. Employee Admits Stealing Case Files
By AL BAKER
The New York Times Section B; Page 5; Column 1; Metropolitan Desk
September 5, 2001, Wednesday, Late Edition - Final

CENTRAL ISLIP, N.Y., Sept. 4
A former low-level security analyst with the F.B.I.'s Las Vegas office admitted today that he stole agency records that were later sold to mob figures, criminal defendants, lawyers and the targets of grand jury investigations in New York and elsewhere.

The complaint said that Mr. Hill, who had access to information regarding national security, confidential informers, witnesses and electronic surveillance, provided records "pertaining to organized-crime investigations, white-collar investigations and investigations involving international alien-smuggling."
Less than three months after his arrest, the analayst, James J. Hill, pleaded guilty in Federal District Court to four separate counts: conspiracy to steal Federal Bureau of Investigation records, theft of records, conspiracy to obstruct justice and obstruction of justice, said Stephen C. King, an assistant United States attorney. The documents involved cases ranging broadly from mortgage fraud to marijuana trafficking and prostitution.

As part of his plea, Mr. Hill, 51, told Judge Denis R. Hurley that he had used computers in the Las Vegas F.B.I. office to steal the documents and that he began selling them in 1999 to a former F.B.I. agent, Michael Levin, who was working as a private investigator in Las Vegas.

According to investigators, Mr. Levin, in turn, sold the documents to others. Mr. Hill said during his plea that at first he had provided Mr. Levin with license plate numbers and addresses of people connected with investigations, but that he had later provided what are called 302's, which are reports on the status of cases. He was paid about $25,000 for the documents, the F.B.I. has said, though it has not released details of the transactions.

"I took the documents belonging to the F.B.I. without permission," Mr. Hill said in a subdued voice as he entered his plea. "I knew that what I was doing was wrong and illegal. I am truly sorry for what I did."

Mr. Hill faces up to 30 years in federal prison when he is sentenced on Dec. 7, though Mr. King said a sentence of about seven years was more likely. He also could be fined as much as $1 million, Mr. King said.

Mr. Hill's arrest on June 14 followed a series of embarrassments for the F.B.I., including the February arrest of a counterintelligence agent, Robert Hanssen, who in July pleaded guilty to charges that he had spied for Moscow since 1985.

Mr. Hill's lawyer, Valerie Amsterdam, said in court that while what her client had done was "stupid and wrong and criminal and potentially dangerous," he was a hard-working family man and an obscure if disgruntled employee whose acts did not suggest wider corruption.

Greg Rice, a special agent in the Las Vegas division of the F.B.I., echoed Ms. Amsterdam's assessment.

"This is an unfortunate incident and does not reflect on the integrity of the F.B.I. as an organization, or its employees." Mr. Rice said.

Mr. Levin pleaded guilty in June to four counts that were identical to the ones Mr. Hill pleaded guilty to. Mr. Levin is awaiting sentencing, Mr. King said. Eight others have been arrested in the investigation, which is still in progress, he said.

Mr. King would not say how much the leaked documents may have damaged criminal cases and grand jury investigations , which included ones in New York City, on Long Island, in Las Vegas and elsewhere.

According to charges filed in June against Mr. Hill, documents he stole were sold for $4,000 in Oyster Bay, in Nassau County, to an unnamed defendant charged in the Eastern District. The complaint said that Mr. Hill, who had access to information regarding national security, confidential informers, witnesses and electronic surveillance, provided records "pertaining to organized-crime investigations, white-collar investigations and investigations involving international alien-smuggling."

Mr. Hill said in court that at first he was unaware that Mr. Levin was selling the documents to others. But he admitted that after he became aware of that fact, he continued his activities. "By then I was so far in the hole, I didn't know what to do," he said.

Mr. Hill said of Mr. Levin, "I was hoping he would go away like a bad dream."

TOPICS: Crime/Corruption; Front Page News; News/Current Events
KEYWORDS:
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-36 next last

1 posted on 09/05/2001 10:01:38 AM PDT by Wallaby
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: Wallaby
I'll bet anyone $100.00 (US) that this person never sees the inside of a cell. Any takers?.

---max

2 posted on 09/05/2001 10:05:06 AM PDT by max61
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

Craig Livingston, where are you?

And, yet, the Demonazi's in the Bubbillary administraiton steal FBI records (and likely still have them) and none of them are arrested. Please explain.

(nevermind)

3 posted on 09/05/2001 10:09:18 AM PDT by Freedom'sWorthIt

Here's that Arrogance again that the FBI has Institutionalized -----

"Greg Rice, a special agent in the Las Vegas division of the F.B.I., echoed Ms. Amsterdam's assessment.

"This is an unfortunate incident and does not reflect on the integrity of the F.B.I. as an organization, or its employees." Mr. Rice said."

"he began selling them in 1999 to a former F.B.I. agent, Michael Levin, who was working as a private investigator in Las Vegas."

"Eight others have been arrested in the investigation, which is still in progress, he said."

They Just Don't Get It. Dismantle them, Start Over.

4 posted on 09/05/2001 10:16:24 AM PDT by rdavis84

"This is an unfortunate incident and does not reflect on the integrity of the F.B.I. as an organization, or its employees." Mr. Rice said.

Let's see, a current anylist steals files and sells them to a former agent who then sells them to targets of investigations in drug trafficing, immigrant smuggling and mob activities and it doesn't reflect on the FBI's integrity ?

Yea right.

5 posted on 09/05/2001 10:21:18 AM PDT by Leper Messiah

To: Leper Messiah
Right on target. I was about to paste the same sentence you did....please tell me how this DOESN'T reflect on the credibility of the F.B.I.?
6 posted on 09/05/2001 10:38:36 AM PDT by TheBlueMax
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

If they use the Hanssen Punishment Rules, this guy will not be allowed to have the luncheon special at the FBI cafeteria for at least six months!
7 posted on 09/05/2001 10:39:59 AM PDT by Tacis

To: Freedom'sWorthIt
And, yet, the Demonazi's in the Bubbillary administraiton steal FBI records (and likely still have them) and none of them are arrested. Please explain. Easy: Nobody in the Clinton admin. ever "stole" any files, and they do not still have any. And no one was arrested because, unlike the guy in this story, nobody broke the law.

As for whether the Clinton admin had any right in asking for the files: of course they did, if precedent counts. For example, GHW Bush sent for, got, and looked into Clinton's FBI file. He was looking for dirt to use against Clinton -- which is where the "draft dodger" story came from. There was even a special prosecutor assigned to look into Bush's "misuse" of files, just as there was for Clinton. But the person assigned to investigate Bush was his old pal Joe DiGenova, so of course, there was as much of a whitewash as there would have been had James Carville been assigned to investigate Clinton. Anyway, the point is that what the Clintons did vis-a-vis FBI files was business as usual for the White House.

8 posted on 09/05/2001 10:40:20 AM PDT by Hidy
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

To: Hidy
How do you know?
9 posted on 09/05/2001 10:48:54 AM PDT by The Westerner
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8 | View Replies]

From the article: " he was a hard-working family man and an obscure if disgruntled employee whose acts did not suggest wider corruption. "

It must have been very important to someone to get that "wider corruption" comment read into the record. The description of the crime makes it seem that there is no audit trail generated when these highly confidential files are accessed. No wonder there are so many inexplicable retirements and apparent changes of loyalty among the influential in government.

10 posted on 09/05/2001 10:49:20 AM PDT by William Tell

To: Leper Messiah,ALOHA RONNIE,Clinton's A Liar,Doug From Upland,Travis McGee
Right on target, RICE should be canned along with the perps for even SAYING such an obtuse untruth. "If you're not a part of the solution, you're part of the problem." Manifestly, he is part of the latter.
11 posted on 09/05/2001 10:50:20 AM PDT by Paul Ross (Because NO ONE is Above the Law!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

To: max61
And I'll bet that Condit never gets charged due to FBI investigation.He seem to make that perfectly clear. FBI could vouch for him.
12 posted on 09/05/2001 11:49:25 AM PDT by dalebert
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

To: OKCSubmariner, Judge Parker, LSJohn, Plummz, Donald Stone
The New York Times Section B; Page 5; Column 1; Metropolitan Desk

September 5, 2001, Wednesday, Late Edition - Final

Looks like the NY Times tried to bury this article and by the tone of it, one might be inclined to think that this is no big deal.

Fortunately, FReepers are smarter than that.

13 posted on 09/05/2001 12:01:19 PM PDT by Fred Mertz

For example, GHW Bush sent for, got, and looked into Clinton's FBI file. He was looking for dirt to use against Clinton -- which is where the "draft dodger" story came from. There was even a special prosecutor assigned to look into Bush's "misuse" of files, just as there was for Clinton.

Hmmmm...and here I thought it was always about Clinton's STATE DEPARTMENT file. You know the one that had unexplained ommissions, questionable changes in it. The file that didn't explore Clinton's 40 days in Moscow during his Rhodes Scholar 'visit'. Hmmmm... are your 'facts' always so suspect?

14 posted on 09/05/2001 12:08:16 PM PDT by Stand Watch Listen

To: Fred Mertz
Greg Rice, a special agent in the Las Vegas division of the F.B.I., echoed Ms. Amsterdam's assessment.

My guess is if there are no ethics or integrity at the FBI to begin with, obviously it would not reflect on their total lack of either ethics or integrity.

15 posted on 09/05/2001 12:15:53 PM PDT by Donald Stone
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 13 | View Replies]

Oh? And I suppose Barbara Bush had that information, too? The case with the last administration was slightly different. Since when are government official's wives entitled to peruse such files?

Anyone with a security clearance who divulges or makes information readily accessible to a spouse is breaking the conditions of their security clearance. Last I knew anyway.

16 posted on 09/05/2001 12:16:54 PM PDT by Aliska

"A former low-level security analyst...admitted today that he stole agency records that were later sold
to mob figures, criminal defendants, lawyers and the targets of grand jury investigations.."

And who handed out the agency records on our political reps that clinton and co were using???
This "low-level analyst" has plenty of high level company.
17 posted on 09/05/2001 1:32:21 PM PDT by freefly

Hildy...NO other President EVER asked for or received 900 ....NINE HUNDRED files on EVERY Republican and some Blackmailable Democrats. How can you say it's the same???
18 posted on 09/05/2001 1:44:24 PM PDT by Ann Archy

To: Fred Mertz
Yes, it is interesting that it wasn't in my morning print edition. I'll be looking to see if it gets picked up in the Thursday early edition.
19 posted on 09/05/2001 2:08:13 PM PDT by Wallaby
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 13 | View Replies]

Hillaridy--

Nothing that ANY president did in the White House was ever "just the same" or "as bad" as what the Clintons did during their 8-year assault on America. Nothing.

You Clintonites must always try to equate mere human beings--prior presidents, both repub and dem--with the Clintons, to try to justify the Clinton's behavior, and you pull completely unfounded BS straight outta yer @ss to try to sell it.

Face it Hillaridy, no president before or since comes close to the evil spawned by the Clintons--unless your namesake gets back in the White House.

To make a statement like you did in your post #8 is just idiotic.

20 posted on 09/05/2001 2:26:28 PM PDT by Husker8877

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-36 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson