Atlanta Paper ^ | 9/5 | Journal staff

Posted on 09/06/2001 6:33:54 AM PDT by from occupied ga

Acting on a bad tip, Cobb SWAT team
bursts into home; officer's gun goes off

By CRAIG SCHNEIDER
Atlanta Journal-Constitution Staff Writer

Bullethole
Ben Gray / AJC
John Bailey stands by the bullethole caused by a SWAT machine gun that accidentally discharged.

Compare the faces below
The Cobb County police thought they had a killer cornered Sunday and they didn't want to waste time. They didn't want to tip him off. They didn't want to endanger themselves or the public. And they didn't want him to get away.

But the 3 a.m. raid -- in which police targeted the wrong man, and an officer fired his gun accidentally -- raises questions of how far police should go before bursting into people's lives.

John Bailey was relaxing in his home Sunday when he suddenly found himself handcuffed, with guns pointed at his head and police combing through his apartment.

He had just come home from a Lynyrd Skynyrd concert, and the evening was winding down at 3 a.m. The 41-year-old computer programmer was having some drinks with a friend when the knock on the door came, bringing with it the "scariest moment of my life."

It had been a different evening for the Cobb County police. They had received a tip from a manager of Bailey's apartment complex. The woman said a man who rented an apartment matched a photo of a fugitive shown that evening on TV's "America's Most Wanted."

Armed with a warrant, the police SWAT team descended on his red front door. Bailey had just put some fish and chips in the oven when the knock came. There were a handful of police officers, he recalled, looking like a military unit. They had rifles, night-vision goggles, helmets.

Bullethole
John Bailey, left, was mistaken by a TV viewer for James Detmer, right. "They could have just looked at me through a pair of binoculars and seen I wasn't him," says an angry Bailey.
The police barked orders at him. He was handcuffed and pushed around, he said. They were talking about somebody killing his father with a hammer. "And they were treating me like I was him," said Bailey.

Unfortunately, they had the wrong man.

Making matters worse, an officer's submachine gun went off inadvertently. The bullet shot through a metal closet door, through the bathroom wall, and put a hole in Bailey's deodorant stick before landing in the bathtub.

"It freaked me out," he said.

No one was injured in Sunday's early morning raid on Bailey's apartment near Vinings. Police are reviewing the incident, and it is unknown whether any disciplinary action or procedural changes will result, said police spokesman Dana Pierce.

When Cobb County police believe they know a fugitive's whereabouts, they say they must balance the desire to move fast to protect the public from a criminal, against the time needed to verify they've got the right man. If they have the right man, every minute may be critical. If they don't, they'll apologize.

Gerry Weber, a legal director with the American Civil Liberties Union of Georgia, was critical of the raid. Police should have been more suspicious of a tip received from the airing of a television show, he said, and they should have taken greater pains to ensure the man in question was the man they wanted.

Fugitive-chasing television shows create a furor to catch the criminals they profile, he said. "People want to be famous. They want to be the one who catches the guy on 'America's Most Wanted,' " he said.

Bailey, who moved to the complex three months ago, said the police should have taken more time to obtain his name from the apartment manager. They could have checked his references on the lease. They could have checked his car tag. They could have talked to his neighbors or relatives.

"They could have just looked at me through a pair of binoculars and seen I wasn't him," Bailey said.

However, Pierce said the SWAT team acted quickly but not haphazardly. Stressing the fugitive was deemed armed and dangerous, he said, "You want to get to him as quickly as possible. What if we would have waited? A fugitive could then have injured or killed somebody else."

The phone tip came to police Saturday night, shortly after the program profiled James Detmer, a 44-year-old Kansas man who allegedly killed his father with the claw end of a hammer in Missouri. Days before, Detmer had fled after making bond on a charge that he tried to set a woman on fire with gasoline.

By 2 a.m., the police had persuaded a judge to issue a warrant. Police took a photo of the wanted man to the apartment manager, who again said she recognized the fugitive. Both Detmer and Bailey are about 40 years old, and both are about 5-foot-10 and 240 pounds.

Bailey was handcuffed, Pierce said, "to protect the officers and himself" until it could be determined he was not the fugitive.

FBI spokesman Richard Kolco said such raids are routine, and he believes the Cobb police acted appropriately in choosing to go in.

"Everybody was treated correctly with respect," he said. "If it doesn't work out, you just tell them, 'Thank you for your time.' It's worth it."

On Wednesday, Bailey said his hands were still shaking. Any knock on his door drives up his blood pressure, he said. He is taking medicine for that, as well as to help him sleep.

The bullets fired inside his home were especially unnerving.

"If anybody was in that bathroom, they would have been shot," he said.

He has hired a lawyer. Attorney Stephen P. Berne of Atlanta is demanding that an outside agency look into the raid. He noted that this is not the first time the Cobb County SWAT team has come under criticism. An independent report on a raid that resulted in the deaths of two SWAT members, was critical of the team's tactics.

On Sunday, Berne said, police created a dangerous situation at Bailey's apartment.

"He has a right to be safe in his own home."

Back to top   |   ajc.com home page

TOPICS: Crime/Corruption; Front Page News; News/Current Events
KEYWORDS: donutwatch
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-6061-80 ... 401 next last
Once again the brave protectors of law and order protect a citizen from his rights (on a tip that they didn't bother to confirm with any evidence - if you have a tip then who needs evidence right?)
1 posted on 09/06/2001 6:33:54 AM PDT by from occupied ga
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: from occupied ga
This is getting rediculous.
2 posted on 09/06/2001 6:39:04 AM PDT by MissAmericanPie
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

Sue the piss out of them...
3 posted on 09/06/2001 6:44:16 AM PDT by DAnconia55

To: MissAmericanPie
This is no only getting ridiculous, it's getting scarier all the time. It seems to me like these swat teams will do their jack-booted routine on the flimziest information. Goodness, it looks like if someone has a beef with their neighbor, all they have to do is give the police a "tip" of some sort, and they will act on it.

I wonder who has to pay for the damage to the apartment--and the big question is, will they replace his deoderant stick-- LOL!

4 posted on 09/06/2001 6:46:17 AM PDT by basil
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

To: DAnconia55
Oh wait... and While I'm at it... I might as well pre list the stupid excuses the bootlicking Flying Monkeys will use when they arrive.

- If even on bad person is caught this is all worth it.

- Rock concert, huh? He was probably on drugs. Should have shot him. - You don't see the hundreds of times each week that police catch and stomp (or burn alive) someone who really deserves it...

Think of any others?

5 posted on 09/06/2001 6:46:17 AM PDT by DAnconia55
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

Sue the p... out of them...

I agree, BUT it's a long way between suing someone and actually getting any money in your pocket. Especially if that someone is a government agency. Further suppose he sucessfully sues and is granted a $6 million judgement. WHO IS GOING TO PAY? ANSWER: THE TAXPAYERS The moronic thugs who planned this and executed it will bear NO personal responsibility. They will incurr no personal liability of any sort. They have no incentive to restrain themselves from all or any excess

PS I'm waiting for the usual JBT sycophants and not so closet statists to come out with all sorts excuses as to why what the JBTs did was good.

6 posted on 09/06/2001 6:51:09 AM PDT by from occupied ga

Making matters worse, an officer's submachine gun went off inadvertently. The bullet shot through a metal closet door,
through the bathroom wall, and put a hole in Bailey's deodorant stick before landing in the bathtub. .......

...... However, Pierce said the SWAT team acted quickly but not haphazardly.

What's wrong with this picture?

7 posted on 09/06/2001 6:54:07 AM PDT by KS Flyover

Until the Judge issuing the warrants gets dealt with, this nonsense will continue. How come I never read in one of these articles any quote, or even give reference to the judge who issued the warrant.

The judge, like most, never even reviewed any information. Each month, all warrants and the judges issuing them, should be published much like other legal records in the local papers.

8 posted on 09/06/2001 6:54:12 AM PDT by blackdog

The bullet shot through a metal closet door, through the bathroom wall, and put a hole in Bailey's deodorant stick before landing in the bathtub.

For maximum protection. Yeah, sure. I think a case can be made for false advertising here.

9 posted on 09/06/2001 6:55:11 AM PDT by lowbridge

an officer's submachine gun went off inadvertently.

As if there was a malfunction or it had a mind of its own. BS. The officer's finger was on the trigger and he pulled it. NEGLIGENCE at best, not accident.

10 posted on 09/06/2001 7:00:03 AM PDT by ctdonath2

What possible shred of public safety could be offered by a cop in a ski mask with a machine gun?

Rethink.....Ten cops in ski masks with machine guns?

11 posted on 09/06/2001 7:00:47 AM PDT by blackdog

SWAT crime! Disband the d*mned things already. There are too many cementheaded SOG wannabees running around masturbating lead into innocent peoples walls, and in some cases, torsos, with their MP5s.

No wonder they wear masks. They are shameful.

12 posted on 09/06/2001 7:01:14 AM PDT by Wm Bach

To: Lion Den Dan
After coffee this AM I felt you needed a little reading.
13 posted on 09/06/2001 7:01:28 AM PDT by SLB

It is way past time for the SWAT teams to be disbanded.

There is an old saying in Texas, "One riot, One Ranger!"

Since when do we need a Swat team to serve a warrant. I agree this is getting ridiculous!

14 posted on 09/06/2001 7:02:27 AM PDT by rollin
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 6 | View Replies]

"Everybody was treated correctly with respect," he said.

The police barked orders at him. He was handcuffed and pushed around, he said. They were talking about somebody killing his father with a hammer. "And they were treating me like I was him," said Bailey.

"If it doesn't work out, you just tell them, 'Thank you for your time.' It's worth it."

Maybe if he was the one with the bullet-ridden home who was handcuffed and shoved around for no good reason, he'd feel differently. Just another day on the job, I suppose.

15 posted on 09/06/2001 7:03:20 AM PDT by NittanyLion

To: ctdonath2
As if there was a malfunction or it had a mind of its own

To the editors and news distorters at the Atlanta paper, guns are evil things that do have minds of their own. The gun DID go off on it's own (in their minds) In their minds, no armed thug (as long as it's a government thug) can ever do any wrong; hence, it had to be the evil gun

16 posted on 09/06/2001 7:04:11 AM PDT by from occupied ga
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 10 | View Replies]

Janet Nero probably got climactic goose bumps when she heard about this. If I was this guy, I would be preparing for bull dozers soon.
17 posted on 09/06/2001 7:04:38 AM PDT by freeplancer

Sue the piss out of them...

Right!!!!
18 posted on 09/06/2001 7:06:45 AM PDT by Fiddlstix

If we can kill just one innocent person, it's all worth it.

More

19 posted on 09/06/2001 7:11:36 AM PDT by jmp702
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

I usually support the police, but this is insane. What the eff were they thinking?

I'm most shocked at the total nonchalance of the people quoted in this article. "Everybody was treated correctly with respect," he said. "If it doesn't work out, you just tell them, 'Thank you for your time.' It's worth it."

I'd sure hate to see this punk's definition of treating people incorrectly and with disrespect.

20 posted on 09/06/2001 7:12:22 AM PDT by Lizzy W

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-6061-80 ... 401 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson