Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

The end of American citizenship
Jewish World Review ^ | September 7, 2001 | Michelle Malkin

Posted on 09/07/2001 9:55:18 AM PDT by sarcasm

I AM the daughter of legal immigrants from the Philippines who proudly chose to become Americans. They stood in line, aced their citizenship tests, filed tons of paperwork, and - speaking in English -- swore allegiance to the United States. The 206-year-old oath my parents took declares, in part:

"I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state or sovereignty…I will support and defend the Constitution and laws of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic...I will bear arms on behalf of the United States…I take this obligation freely without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; so help me G-d."

For millions of naturalized Americans like my parents, the oath of allegiance is sacred. It is a solemn public commitment to embrace and defend American laws and institutions. The rights and responsibilities that accompany this coveted status are earned privileges, not free entitlements. That is why the widespread assault on American citizenship is a grave insult not only to native-born Americans, but also to families like mine who played by the rules to get here - and to stay.

Everywhere you turn, American citizenship is being devalued:

Although Bush has backed away from using the term "amnesty," it is clear that he is toying with the same craven politics of pandering to the illegal alien lobby that the Clinton-Gore administration embraced. In an election-year effort to manufacture new votes, Clinton-Gore launched a "Citizenship USA" campaign in 1996 to expedite naturalization for more than a million aliens. Nearly 200,000 never underwent required fingerprint checks. More than 80,000 had disqualifying criminal records.

The message this sends to families like mine is that we are chumps. Why should we bother to obey the law? Or learn English? Why study American history in order to earn the right to vote if liberal enclaves across the country are going to enfranchise noncitizens - who don't even have to be able to read their ballots in English, let alone name the three branches of government?

Both the movement to naturalize illegal aliens and the drive to give voting rights to legal permanent aliens have a shared target audience: Mexicans. Many have absolutely no intention of assimilating here, but they will gladly take what kowtowing U.S. politicians give them. President Bush, courting Latino leaders, says he simply wants to find a way to "legalize the hard work" of Mexicans who crossed our borders illegally. But illegal aliens from Mexico aren't the only immigrants who do hard work.

Exclusive amnesty for line-jumping Mexicans is a slap in the face to all other immigrants -- from the Korean grocer and Ethiopian restaurateur, to the Indian cab driver, British schoolteacher, and Filipino nurse -- who came through the front door, toil gladly, reject the free-ride mentality, and follow the rule of law.

The founding fathers didn't envision the naturalization process as a means to boost the labor supply or the voting rolls. The ultimate end, the purpose, of granting American citizenship is to help create one people, one nation who share a common allegiance. It is a tragedy that we've now given the enemies of our constitutional republic the keys to flood our gates and trash our home

TOPICS: Culture/Society; Editorial
KEYWORDS:
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-6061-8081-86 next last

1 posted on 09/07/2001 9:55:18 AM PDT by sarcasm
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: dennisw, Franklin1776,Joe Hadenuf, t-shirt, mercuria,Brownie74, Bikers4Bush, FITZ,blam, madrussian,
El ping.
2 posted on 09/07/2001 9:56:25 AM PDT by sarcasm
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: sarcasm
The ultimate end, the purpose, of granting American citizenship is to help create one people, one nation who share a common allegiance.

... and the goal of those wanting to water it down is to create the opposite.

A divided people who are easily swayed, easily set at odds, easily defeated and overcome.

That is what is really happening. Despite the use of "useful idiots" proclaiming "social" and "political" and "economic" reasoning ... at it's awful core, that is what this is really all about, the destruction of America.

3 posted on 09/07/2001 10:00:02 AM PDT by Jeff Head

Our leaders have not read the U. S. Constitution but want to violate it. The citizen you get with these illegal acts will not be proud Americans. This is a shame.
4 posted on 09/07/2001 10:06:38 AM PDT by chasII

Comment #5 Removed by Moderator

To: Hail Caesar, Rockinfreakapotamus
El Bumbo grande.
6 posted on 09/07/2001 10:10:09 AM PDT by GunsareOK

Id just like to ask all the Bushies, I guess ole' Pat Buchanan was right. wasnt he??
7 posted on 09/07/2001 10:11:26 AM PDT by All-American Medic

To: All-American Medic
I worked very hard last year to get W elected, and I still haven't said anything bad about him despite my privately held opinions. However, in response to your question: I'm going to take the 5th for the time being.
8 posted on 09/07/2001 10:35:03 AM PDT by wienerdog.com
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 7 | View Replies]

Good one. If only we could get 10,000 Americans down to an important border crossing and raise hell with protests and demonstrations. Disrupt business as usual.
9 posted on 09/07/2001 10:40:44 AM PDT by dennisw

Interestingly, the courts have made it almost impossible to renounce one's citizenship.

You can stand in the middle of Times Square, with blanket network coverage, and verbally renounce your citizenship; you remain a citizen. You can get a signed and notarized document renouncing your citizenship; you remain a citizen. You can take out a full-page ad in the New York Times renouncing your citizenship; you remain a citizen. You can become a citizen of another country; you remain a citizen.

Just about the only way to lose ones' citizenship is to join the army of a nation at war with the U.S. If the nation whose army you join is not at war (officially) then you will not lose your citizenship.

This is the other side of the coin of cheapening U.S. citizenship...

--Boris

10 posted on 09/07/2001 10:44:11 AM PDT by boris

To: dennisw
This may help:

11 posted on 09/07/2001 10:45:39 AM PDT by sarcasm
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 9 | View Replies]

I think the USA should have reciprocal laws with Mexico.

Whatever would happen to me if I illegally immigrated into Mexico, should happen to them here.

If Americans can't own land in Mexico, the same for them here.

If I can never become a citizen of Mexico, .....

You get my point. If President Fox doesn't like this, he can change his country's laws first and we would reciprocate.

12 posted on 09/07/2001 11:14:16 AM PDT by A. Patriot (| || ||| |||| || || ||| || ||||||@slave.NWO.gov)

The amnesty of 1986 was the first act that cheapened American citizenship, the upcoming amnesty will destroy its meaning altogether. American citizenship is there for the taking by the criminals. Law of the third-world: prosperity in life comes not as the result of hard work and education, but as the result of a crime.

It's time to make border-crossing a felony. No felon can be naturalized.

13 posted on 09/07/2001 12:51:49 PM PDT by madrussian

To: sarcasm, All-American Medic, GunsareOK, Hail Caesar, Dave Dilegge, Jeff Head, ChasII, VW-Cat-Man
You know, given the gorbasm mess I felt really bad changing my mind at 9pm Monday November 6 and not voting for Bush (especially since I live in a swing state - WV) and was really hoping to see Dubya prove his worth so I could check him off in '04. However, this seals it. "Fuggettabaattit" George! You've never read the Constitution and obviously never will. I didn't vote for his pop in '88 either and only did in '92 'cause of the Kintoon. Byebye GOP - all your fundraising solicitation crap goes into the round file.
14 posted on 09/07/2001 4:15:41 PM PDT by Rockinfreakapotamus (FIGHT LIKE A BRAVE !!!)

To: Rockinfreakapotamus
I'm changing my registration on Tuesday after I cast my last vote in a Republican primary election.
15 posted on 09/07/2001 4:24:31 PM PDT by sarcasm
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 14 | View Replies]

I recently moved and changed mine to Indy since Indys can still vote in Rep primaries. Plus, we're undergoing redistricting in the mountain state and the "I" keeps both sides guessing in their gerrymandering games. Plus, Independents are the ones chosen for debate audiences and I'd love the opportunity to ask candidates some choice questions about their [lack of] understanding of the Constitution.
16 posted on 09/07/2001 8:48:26 PM PDT by Rockinfreakapotamus (FIGHT LIKE A BRAVE !!!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 15 | View Replies]

A "Remember the Alamo" bump!
17 posted on 09/07/2001 9:13:23 PM PDT by varon

BRAVO!
18 posted on 09/07/2001 9:16:02 PM PDT by Orion78

To: Rockinfreakapotamus
Everyone should register Independant. I always have. So did my father. Just received my new voter card and it now says, under PARTY, PND.....maybe...pary not designated? Makes it sound like you are keeping your party affiliation to yourself!

In Arizona, we too can now vote in Primaries. So if Clinton was a liar and Bush isn't backing himself up, and if everyone is just plain disgusted with OUR leader(s), what better way to make a statement than to launch a

RE-register as an INDEPENDENT
CAMPAIGN. Party differences and debate appear to be a means of diversion, while more important and quite sinister "GLOBALIZATIONAL" decisions and agreements are being made without our consent. Why wait for the next elections. By then all the college graduates will be voting, after 4 years of Environmental Extremist Conditioning. Let's just all tell Washington "we will claim our party when we see somthing worth a damn!" REGISTER INDEPENDENT..........one can always re-claim their party.

19 posted on 09/07/2001 9:55:15 PM PDT by madfly
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 16 | View Replies]

I'm also the daughter of a legal immigrant. My mother got a letter from Governor Barry Goldwater when she became a US Citizen. And I remember how hard people tried to learn the language and came here with respect for us and our freedoms.
20 posted on 09/07/2001 10:17:38 PM PDT by madfly
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 18 | View Replies]

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-6061-8081-86 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson