Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Scolarship Targets Exiled Gays
AP ^ | September 8, 2001, 2:12 PM EDT | JAY LINDSAY

Posted on 09/08/2001 2:03:26 PM PDT by Jean S

BOSTON -- The decision to tell his family he was gay didn't go well for one Bridgewater State student. His father threatened to cut him off financially and left the junior feeling "like a piece of trash."

"There's no way I could support myself," said the 22-year-old, who asked that his name not be used. "I was very, very scared."

A new scholarship offered by the school could make it easier for gay and lesbian students to break unwelcome news by helping gay students whose families refuse to support them financially.

The school says it's the only program of its kind.

The 22-year-old student's parents kept paying for school after his mother insisted, but not everyone gets that break, said communications professor Susan Holton, co-chair of the school's Safe Colleges Task Force, an advocacy group for gays.

Bob Haynor, Bridgewater's outreach education coordinator, started raising funds for the scholarship in April 2000 after meeting students who were cut off after they came out. About $8,200 has been donated so far. Haynor hopes the first awards will be given next year.

The college's Frank-Tremblay Safe Colleges Scholarship is named for lesbian folk singer Lucie Bley Tremblay, who's raised money for the scholarship, and U.S. Rep. Barney Frank, D-Mass., who is gay and represents the Bridgewater area.

Frank has not raised money for the scholarship but said he was flattered to be associated with it.

"The potential for rejection or the fact of rejection is a crushing blow," he said. "Add to that an inability to continue your education ... Obviously we wish this situation didn't happen but it's important to have this resource available."

Other schools have boosted financial aid for gay students cut off by parents, said Robert Schoenberg, president of the National Consortium of Directors of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Resources in Higher Education. But he was uncertain how many, if any, aim funds specifically at students who are financially estranged from parents.

Brian Camenker, president of the Parent's Rights Coalition, a Newton-based group that opposes government interference in parental duties, said the scholarship is a "complete outrage" that undermines parental authority.

"You have a state institution affirming a self-destructive and medically dangerous behavior and essentially spitting in the face of parents who know it's a horrible thing for their children to be doing," he said.

Schoenberg said gays and parents often have their first conversations about sexual orientation in the early years of college, when students are particularly dependent on parents.

"Students choose to go outside the city where they live and do some exploring and perhaps come out," he said.

In addition to private donations, school officials also expect to receive some money when the state matches private funds raised for the Bridgewater State College Foundation, of which the scholarship is part.

The fact that public money could be included is galling to Camenker.

"It's like taking your tax dollars and rubbing it in your face," he said.

But Vincent McCarthy, chairman of the Governor's Commission on Gay and Lesbian Youth, said that if parents "divorce" themselves financially from their children, they lose their say in the children's education.

"The bottom line is 'Tough,"' he said.

Grant sizes haven't been determined. Haynor said tuition and fees at Bridgewater are about $2,800, so even a small grant can help.

"It's more than just money," he said. "I think it's somebody saying, 'We want you to be here."'

___

On the Net:

Bridgewater State: http://www.bridgew.edu/

Copyright © 2001, The Associated Press

TOPICS: Culture/Society; News/Current Events
KEYWORDS:

1 posted on 09/08/2001 2:03:26 PM PDT by Jean S
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: JeanS
WWWWWAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH, let me go to college free, my parents don't know I'm gay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! sounds like a plan to me!!!!
2 posted on 09/08/2001 2:08:11 PM PDT by OldFriend
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: OldFriend
GASP! Are you suggesting that this program may be abused?
3 posted on 09/08/2001 2:13:25 PM PDT by Jean S
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

I didn't realize that gays and lesbians were unable to work and support themselves. I know many, many people who have managed to support themselves and pay for their own educations at the same time. Is that something missing in the gay community?
4 posted on 09/08/2001 2:15:44 PM PDT by basil

got me by a minute.
5 posted on 09/08/2001 2:18:20 PM PDT by mdittmar

make that 1 second.
6 posted on 09/08/2001 2:19:53 PM PDT by mdittmar

Why, how dare you suggest such a thing!!!!!!LOLOLROTF
7 posted on 09/08/2001 2:25:12 PM PDT by OldFriend
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

Man sign me up. I'm 42 and gay as of today. When do I start?
8 posted on 09/08/2001 2:35:35 PM PDT by Fzob

To: basil
I don't know. I was able to support myself at the age of 22.

Of course, the yacht had to go...

9 posted on 09/08/2001 2:39:04 PM PDT by Jean S
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

Where is the Barf alert?

"There's no way I could support myself," said the 22-year-old

I know it's a new word for you, but it's in the dictionary.

Look under "W" for the word "work" or under the letter "J" for "job"

10 posted on 09/08/2001 3:13:17 PM PDT by Josiah6

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson