Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Stifling thought on campus
The Washington Times ^ | September 9, 2001 | Scott Jeffrey

Posted on 09/09/2001 6:43:46 AM PDT by xsysmgr

Edited on 07/12/2004 3:46:32 PM PDT by Jim Robinson. [history]

Memo to certain college newspaper editors: David Horowitz soon will give you another chance to prove your devotion to free speech isn't just lip service.

Here's hoping you don't blow it the way you did last time.

Yes, Mr. Horowitz, a former anti-Vietnam War activist-turned conservative commentator, plans to take another shot at the experiment he tried on college journalism a few months ago. He harbors little hope that this exercise -- submitting a paid ad that will deal with "something about college professors," he told a recent gathering at the Washington-based Eagle Forum -- will fare any better than the previous one. But he's willing to try.

(Excerpt) Read more at washtimes.com ...

TOPICS: Culture/Society; Editorial
KEYWORDS:

1 posted on 09/09/2001 6:43:46 AM PDT by xsysmgr
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: xsysmgr
After all, we go to college not simply to learn the rudiments of some profession -- we could attend trade schools for that -- but to challenge and expand our minds, to confirm our beliefs and perhaps discard them when we find something better.

I remember that argument when I was in college. The liberal arts students and professors would bring that up whenever the science students would complain about the heavy liberal arts class load they were forced to endure. The science students, of course, met the challenge but were often left wondering why the liberal arts students conversely didn't have to take more science classes. Seeing all the Shakespeare-quoting french fry chefs we have out there makes me believe that more than a few lib arts majors could have done with a little vocational training themselves.

2 posted on 09/09/2001 6:59:01 AM PDT by randog
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: randog
Congress should pass a law. Any University or College that recieves federal funding must create an atmosphere that is not hostile to free speech. Campuses will not tolerate intimidation tactics, vandalism, and will enforcement the freedoms outlined in College/University handbooks consistantly. Any University or College violates that law will lose federal funding and the injured party can sue in Federal Courts.
3 posted on 09/09/2001 8:29:57 AM PDT by Fee
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

I remember that argument when I was in college. The liberal arts students and professors would bring that up whenever the science students would complain about the heavy liberal arts class load they were forced to endure.

As an engineering student, I hated having to take a bunch of artsy-fartsy gen. ed. classes that were required to graduate. I can say in retrospect that all of them were except one were total garbage.

Whenever my school calls me and asks me to donate money, I tell them to get bent. I hate the fact that my student fees and tuition was being used to fund liberal organizations on campus. I'm not about to see my donations fund the same crap. They won't get a dime out of me except what they get in taxes, which gripes my arse, too. I'm not happy that my tax money funds this liberal garbage.

4 posted on 09/09/2001 10:43:07 AM PDT by Hillary 666
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

To: Hillary 666
I was in engineering, too. I get calls occassionally from the alma mater asking for money, but I refuse to donate unless it goes directly to the engineering college. They've only been able to give me that guarantee once when the engineering college had a drive to build a new computer lab.
5 posted on 09/09/2001 11:26:52 AM PDT by randog
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

Maybe someday, before it's too late to save humanity, people will realize that true knowledge comes only from schools of engineering.
6 posted on 09/09/2001 11:08:31 PM PDT by Rudder
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson