Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Scores rise as Calif. schools immerse
Boston Globe ^ | September 10, 2001 | Lynda Gorov

Posted on 09/10/2001 2:56:31 AM PDT by Cincinatus' Wife

Edited on 04/13/2004 2:06:47 AM PDT by Jim Robinson. [history]

SANTA BARBARA, Calif. - Today we're learning about the ''short I'' sound, Mrs. Schwyzer tells her second-graders in their second week of classes. Pig. Dip. Slip. Tim hid the stick.

The words go up on the blackboard. Hands go up in the air. Children with names like Marina, Blanca, and Umberto vie to spell the words. Two years ago, most of Carol Schwyzer's pupils at Harding Elementary spoke no English. Most came to kindergarten from Spanish-only homes. But unlike past generations, the youngsters were not eased into a second language. They were immersed in it, forced to grab onto English or sink among all the unfamiliar words.

(Excerpt) Read more at boston.com ...

TOPICS: News/Current Events
KEYWORDS:
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-26 next last

1 posted on 09/10/2001 2:56:31 AM PDT by Cincinatus' Wife
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: Cincinatus' Wife
Noonan, who campaigned against Proposition 227, is a convert to immersion.........Test scores ''hadn't moved out of the basement for many years, then all of a sudden there was a 100 percent gain,'' Noonan said. ''We thought it could be a fluke. But we saw [improvement] again and again. ... Anyone who tells me that's not significant is spouting foolishness.''

Bump!

2 posted on 09/10/2001 4:49:50 AM PDT by Cincinatus' Wife
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

Plus,if you'll note that the teacher said that they would be learning the "short I" sound. She's using phonics!!! These kids will be better at reading English than most in our schools.
3 posted on 09/10/2001 4:55:57 AM PDT by MomwithHope
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

To: MomwithHope
She's using phonics!!!

Bump!

But the educrat nay-sayers don't want to acknowledge English-only and phonics.

4 posted on 09/10/2001 5:12:43 AM PDT by Cincinatus' Wife
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

Bump
5 posted on 09/10/2001 5:20:17 AM PDT by EdReform
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

To: EdReform bump
Bump back at ya!
6 posted on 09/10/2001 5:51:41 AM PDT by Cincinatus' Wife
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

Being bilingual is great but if you want to have a shot at success in this country you need to learn English.

By the way, next time you are in Mexico, notice who the real entrepreneurs are, they speak English.

7 posted on 09/10/2001 6:04:11 AM PDT by diggerwillow
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

To: diggerwillow
Someone told me that Spanish is a phonetic language and when Spanish-speaking children are exposed to "whole language" they are completely mystified. He said that anybody who knows how to read phonetically can read Spanish aloud to a Spanish-speaking individual and even if the pronunciation is off, that individual will understand what is read to him. Whole language has damaged so many children in this country.
8 posted on 09/10/2001 6:10:27 AM PDT by bettina0
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 7 | View Replies]

To: diggerwillow
Yes, we must keep our common language. English binds us together.

If the mother wants her children to know how to read a sign in Spanish, she can make that happen.
She did not (as did none of the others) ask for a waiver for her children to be put back into bilingual classes.
With her children learning English, maybe she too can learn English.
In time, if they all learn English, maybe parents will see that the public schools have been holding them back and ask, why?

9 posted on 09/10/2001 6:11:44 AM PDT by Cincinatus' Wife
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 7 | View Replies]

But she resents her inability to help them with their homework and is concerned that they will not be able to read the simplest signs in Spanish if they ever visit her native Mexico.

This statement encapsulates the attitude of modern-day immigrants. They are not really interested in becoming enculturated to the United States. Their dream is to position themselves economically for a future permanent return to their country of origin, and to act as political advocates for their home country while they are here.

On another thread, there is a post of an article from an Orlando newpaper that reports how immersion is not working there. The teacher of a class of 3rd graders, none of whom are English speakers, is interviewed and observed in her classroom by the reporter. The overall tone of the article is not positive.

10 posted on 09/10/2001 6:13:15 AM PDT by PLK

To: bettina0
Whole language has damaged so many children in this country.

I suggest this should read, "The Teachers and their union have damaged so many children in this country."
Their insistance on anything that supports the teacher gravy train, (such as bilingual ed)is part of the reason this obvious "fix" took an constitutional ammendment to implement.

11 posted on 09/10/2001 6:15:40 AM PDT by KC_for_Freedom
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8 | View Replies]

Maria Calderon, a mother of three Harding pupils who speaks no English, said she appreciates the efforts to make her children fluent. But she resents her inability to help them with their homework and is concerned that they will not be able to read the simplest signs in Spanish if they ever visit her native Mexico.

Oh, Maria, where to begin?

Your children just won't make it in a big way in America without speaking English, so I hope you really do appreciate it. I wonder what non-English-speaking Maria does for a living.

How about doing the homework with your children, and letting them teach you. You'll learn, and so will they.

One more thing, Maria, if you want your children to speak and read Spanish, how about you spend some time with them teaching them. I hope you're not sitting there waiting for the public school system to take care of all your needs.

12 posted on 09/10/2001 6:16:44 AM PDT by TontoKowalski

After years of dem-commie-libs experimenting on the nation's children, the basic, common sense approach to teaching returns and is found to be more effective than any of the liberal fads (e.g. new math, ebonics, etc.)
13 posted on 09/10/2001 6:18:43 AM PDT by VoodooEconomist

Oops. Correction. The other article, link below, does NOT describe in immersion program. In fact, after looking at it again, it appears that the state of Florida does not have a standardized approach to the teaching of non-English speaking kids. Sorry for having misled. PLK

Click here to go other article

14 posted on 09/10/2001 6:20:23 AM PDT by PLK
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 9 | View Replies]

People ask why I hate liberals, and I have one very simple reason: They nearly always destroy (and ruin) in the process of experimenting with their latest (fadish) theories (education or otherwise). How many children have been condemned to illiteracy and how many futures have been blighted because the liberal education establishment decided to use children as ginny pigs?
15 posted on 09/10/2001 6:21:14 AM PDT by VoodooEconomist

To: PLK
On another thread, there is a post of an article from an Orlando newpaper that reports how immersion is not working there. The teacher of a class of 3rd graders, none of whom are English speakers, is interviewed and observed in her classroom by the reporter. The overall tone of the article is not positive.

I read that article and it struck me as excuses, excuses, excuses. I also don't like the woman's remarks you refer to.
But then, she will have to admit, we all can't have everything we want. That's life.
However, I see she didn't sign a waiver to have her children returned to bilingual, did she?

So much of our problems have come from the LIBERALS and educrats promising to pander to everyone.
The Democratic Party and the National Teachers Association Union are in LOCK step and fiercely support each other. They aren't leaders they are leeches.

16 posted on 09/10/2001 6:26:46 AM PDT by Cincinatus' Wife
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 10 | View Replies]

To: PLK
Thanks for the LINK. I agree with your re-read.
17 posted on 09/10/2001 6:27:35 AM PDT by Cincinatus' Wife
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 14 | View Replies]

To: summer
Heads up.
18 posted on 09/10/2001 6:28:25 AM PDT by Seeking the truth

To: TontoKowalski
I hope she follows your advice.
19 posted on 09/10/2001 6:30:37 AM PDT by Cincinatus' Wife
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 12 | View Replies]

To: VoodooEconomist
After years of dem-commie-libs experimenting on the nation's children, the basic, common sense approach to teaching returns and is found to be more effective than any of the liberal fads (e.g. new math, ebonics, etc.)

Schools of Education need to be examined very closely. The 60's LIBERALS have been training our teachers and the results are disasterous.

20 posted on 09/10/2001 6:32:45 AM PDT by Cincinatus' Wife
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 13 | View Replies]

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-26 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson