News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

We Made Contact .... ?
Amo.net ^ | 9/5/2001 | Dustin Brand

Posted on 09/10/2001 7:06:01 AM PDT by ex-Texan

We made Contact.

By Dustin D. Brand; Owner AMO

We made contact - with aliens that is - this time they responded.

It all started in 1974, before SETI (The Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence) was even formed (1984), but at the beginning of the Arecibo project. At this time, upgrading the Arecibo station in the US Territory of Puerto Rico was done with the help of Frank Drake and Carl Sagan.

The Arecibo radio telescope dish to the left is the largest in the world. The first pulsar in a binary system was discovered in 1974 using Arecibo, leading to important confirmation of Einstein's theory of general relativity and a Nobel Prize for astronomers Russell Hulse and Joseph Taylor in 1993.

The most interesting experiment in 1974 with Arecibo however was it's 3 Terawatt narrowband transmission of a "human template" in the direction of the M13 globular star cluster which consists of 300,000 stars and is in the constellation of Hercules.

The human template transmission was made originally by Frank Drake and with great cooperation from Carl Sagan, whos book, later translated into the movie "Contact" was loosely based. The name of Carl Sagan to this date reminds many of "Contact" and it only seems fitting he was part of the November 16th, 1974 human template transmission from Arecibo. The journey of the human template message from Arecibo would take 22,800 light years to reach Messier 13. It took a tiny fraction of that to receive a reply however.

The human template, originally sent in 1974 by Arecibo is shown to the right. With the help of Richard C. Hoagland, in 1971 templates were added to United States spacecraft, but the human template transmission in 1974 was sent at the speed of light and in binary form. The blank space in the image represents a binary 0 and the solid blocks represent binary 1's.

The Arecibo message included, among other things, the binary equivalant of the numbers 1-10 showing a "base of 10" identifing our math system and a way to decipher the message. Below these numbers identified the most common atomic numbers in life that we knew at that time. We transmitted our atomic numbers for Hydrogen, Carbon, Nitrogen, Oxygen and Phosphorus. We didn't stop there and added the molecular formulas for our human DNA (Deoxyribonucleic Acid).

In 1974, we knew the estimated number of nucleotides in our DNA, and we transmitted those as well and you can also see our "Double Helix" DNA Strand. We also sent, as the human race, our average height, and a rough proportional representation of our bodies. The population of our planet earth, which in 1974 was estimated as 4.29 Billion Humans was also transmitted. For the source of the transmission, planet Earth, Arecibo, we sent our solar system identifing the third planet from the Sun - Earth - just under our feet. Also with the source was the Arecibo Telescope, with it's diameter.

Expecting the transmission to take 22,800 Light Years might have been an exageration when, in reality it may reach life much earlier. In fact, the transmission has now traveled nearly 27 light years from Earth (156 trillion + miles) - towards M13, and has passed the distance of the closest star from our Sun which is 4.3 light years away. It takes only approximately 1 minute to reach Mars travelling at light speed for perspective, or 1.23 seconds to reach the moon.

Einstein as we all know has been extremely important to Science. The unexpected coorelation between Einstein and Arecibo in 1974 is evident as a Nobel prize was awarded due to Arecibo discovery of the Puslar in a "Binary system" and the astronomers helping to prove his Theory of General Releativity. It is a basic postulate of the theory of relativity that the speed of light is constant. Einstein even intensified all the "time travel" talk amongst scientists. Conicidence about Einsteins' connection to the 1974 Arecibo transmission? There is no such thing as a coincidence. It would take 22,800 light years at the speed of light to reach M13, yet we have crop formations 1 year apart at almost 26 years and almost 27, a factored difference of more than 1,000. In 1916 Einstein published his expanded General/Special Theory of Reletivity to include gravitation as a determiner of the curvature of a space-time continuum - time travel.

Many changes in 1974 to the Arecibo transmitter were made, enabling it to broadcast signals at a power of 20 terawatts. (1 Terawatt = 1 Trillion Watts) or more power than all the power outlets in the world at the time combined. The human template message marks the completion of such upgrades and the excitement of the achievement.

The Arecibo Human Template message was transmitted on November 16th, 1974 and consisted of 1,679 pulses of binary code (0's and 1's). The transmission lasted a little under three mintues (167.9 seconds) and was completed by modulating the frequency back and forth by about 10Hz (or 10 bits per second). The Arecibo Human Template was transmitted on a frequency of 2,388 MegaHertz which is significant. Arecibo is capable of the range between 1,000-3,000 MHz. 1,679 digits in the transmission are extremely important because 1679 is the result of 2 prime numbers, 23 and 73 or 23*73. Since math is about as universal of a language as we can determine, the binary code was seperated into a matrix of 23x73 columns or squares creating the "template" or "grid".

Click Here for Full Text and Photos

TOPICS: Announcements; Culture/Society
KEYWORDS:
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-6061-72 next last

1 posted on 09/10/2001 7:06:01 AM PDT by ex-Texan
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: ex-Texan
Bookmarking to read later - much later.

Leni

2 posted on 09/10/2001 7:09:53 AM PDT by MinuteGal (KeepYourPowderDry)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

The LINK is bad.
3 posted on 09/10/2001 7:14:08 AM PDT by B4Ranch

To: palo verde
Ping for palo

Love,
Quilla

4 posted on 09/10/2001 7:14:49 AM PDT by Quilla

To: B4Ranch
I got the site with it.
5 posted on 09/10/2001 7:15:11 AM PDT by riley1992
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

To: MinuteGal
All you have to do is go to a Convenience Store, or use a Taxi, to meet aliens. I will have to read this later, myself.
6 posted on 09/10/2001 7:15:18 AM PDT by Ingtar
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

To: riley1992
I'm also having problems with the link.
7 posted on 09/10/2001 7:17:13 AM PDT by StarFan
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

To: cholerajoe
i volunteered you for this project... await contact...
8 posted on 09/10/2001 7:17:40 AM PDT by xsmommy
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 6 | View Replies]

slow news day; or someone havin' a tough time gettin' to sleep?
9 posted on 09/10/2001 7:19:39 AM PDT by hoot2 (billionsnbillions@aliens.gov)

The transmission lasted a little under three mintues (167.9 seconds) and was completed by modulating the frequency back and forth by about 10Hz (or 10 bits per second). The Arecibo Human Template was transmitted on a frequency of 2,388 MegaHertz which is significant. Arecibo is capable of the range between 1,000-3,000 MHz. 1,679 digits in the transmission are extremely important because 1679 is the result of 2 prime numbers, 23 and 73 or 23*73.

Oh god, is this a word problem? I forgot to study!

10 posted on 09/10/2001 7:20:04 AM PDT by SunnyUsa (all your binary belong to us)

To: MinuteGal, ex-Texan
Bookmarking to read later - much later.

Well, you have about one lightyear left, if I read this right. lol. I'm also bookmarking this one.

11 posted on 09/10/2001 7:22:31 AM PDT by Ms. AntiFeminazi
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

>We made contact - with aliens that is - this time they responded.

Umm, this kind of post is little different really from those people who believe Madonna is in love with them, or Julia Roberts is in love with them...

Only instead of sending love letters to Hollywood and believing they're getting "responses" these people are sending bursts of radio waves to space and believing they're getting "responses."

I'd say you're about as likely to get an "intelligent" response from this stuff as you would if you'd sent a post card to Mariah Carey... Mark W.

12 posted on 09/10/2001 7:22:35 AM PDT by MarkWar

To: SunnyUsa
Thanks Hon, for making my day, LOL. ( I had trouble with those word problems too)
13 posted on 09/10/2001 7:23:18 AM PDT by WVNan
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 10 | View Replies]

To: StarFan
Hmmmmmmmm. Maybe I have a special frequency or something.
14 posted on 09/10/2001 7:23:35 AM PDT by riley1992
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 7 | View Replies]

To: StarFan, Focault's Pendulum
I'm also having problems with the link

are you LOGGED IN?

15 posted on 09/10/2001 7:25:39 AM PDT by SunnyUsa (click link only if you have the "day off")
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 7 | View Replies]

We made contact - with aliens that is - this time they responded.

And they said, in a really scratchy and static-y transmission:

I'll have a quarter pounder with cheese, no ketchup, and can you supersize the fries and Coke?

16 posted on 09/10/2001 7:31:04 AM PDT by Lazamataz

Strange...On this window I need to log in, yet I'm able to post.
17 posted on 09/10/2001 7:32:22 AM PDT by philman_36
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 15 | View Replies]

To: Lazamataz
And their response is that they have Chandra Levy and to please leave that poor wretched Condit guy alone! LOL That is one post that I didn't need to read this early on a Monday morning.
18 posted on 09/10/2001 7:33:53 AM PDT by KSREP
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 16 | View Replies]

To: Lazamataz
I figger if aliens are gonna contact us they'll do so via Art Bell, Pat Robertson, and/or the yacking black lady with her pay site or some other important earthling and said person in turn will inform us, so I ain't gonna get overly excited about this report.
19 posted on 09/10/2001 7:38:18 AM PDT by ofMagog
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 16 | View Replies]

The transmission lasted a little under three mintues (167.9 seconds) and was completed by modulating the frequency back and forth by about 10Hz (or 10 bits per second). The Arecibo Human Template was transmitted on a frequency of 2,388 MegaHertz which is significant. Arecibo is capable of the range between 1,000-3,000 MHz. 1,679 digits in the transmission are extremely important because 1679 is the result of 2 prime numbers, 23 and 73 or 23*73.

Is Farrakhan in charge of this project? We are transmitting in Mhz and they are responding in Hz? What is wrong with this picture? I think we would have better luck putting a note in a bottle and launching it into space.

20 posted on 09/10/2001 7:39:40 AM PDT by Mind-numbed Robot
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 10 | View Replies]

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-6061-72 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson