Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Which conservative college for my son?
Ted

Posted on 09/10/2001 8:46:45 PM PDT by Ted

OK Freepers, I can't believe it, but my oldest of three sons is a Sophomore in High School. He's attending a private prep school here in Austin. It's time for us to generate a list of colleges to survey.

When pressed (slightly) he told me this evening that if he had to choose tomorrow he would major in History, Psychology, or Business. I'd guess he'll graduate in the second quartile of his tough school (no genius, but respectable), will score 1200-1250 on SAT, and has been reasonably active in outside activities/volunteer work. Let's assume total costs of $20K - $25K/year would be OK (ouch...).

My goals:

-Conservative school that will teach non-revisionist history and has a deep respect of our country.
-A school where it's OK for a well-rounded guy to enjoy other activities besides studying (he's no academic..., loves sports).
-Ideally in the South, but not required.
-Academically respected institution.
-A school where it's OK to be a Christian (a "Christian" school is not required, but it MUST respect/support Christianity).

Thus far I like what I see at Hillsdale College in Michigan, but dang, Michigan? He's a Texas boy! Is there a similar school any closer to home?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts. Be nice - signed, a slightly nervous Dad.

TOPICS: Miscellaneous; Your Opinion/Questions
KEYWORDS:
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-6061-80 ... 141 next last

1 posted on 09/10/2001 8:46:45 PM PDT by Ted
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: Ted
Liberty University, Lynchburg Virginia, mets most of your criteria. About $15G/yr.
2 posted on 09/10/2001 8:52:24 PM PDT by exit82 (BacktoLittleRockNOW!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

Pick up a copy of the National Review College Guide. It has been a couple of years (my son started college this year) but I believe I bought it on their web site.

It is a great listing of colleges that provide a quality education without the liberal brainwashing. We did not even consider a scholl that was not in there. By the way, my son just started at Furman University in Greenville SC. Good luck, you have a lot of research to do.

3 posted on 09/10/2001 8:55:36 PM PDT by CR

To: All
If you find one tell me and I'll go back to undergrad again. I went to a private Christian for my undergraduate degree and it was full of commies (contributed many of warm bodies to the Battle of Seattle)... The problem is the churches have all gone down the toilet too, and the churches were for a long time the only ones that would run universities with anything barely resembling a decent, moral, Christian environment. Now it's all about license and "God will forgive you for your perversion." If you send him to a religious school, do what I never did and serious look into the congregation which is affiliated with the place -- this will tell you a lot. I thought I'd be in a pretty conservative place, but it turns out the particular congregation affiliated with my school was made up of guardians of all the most radical leftist causes...
4 posted on 09/10/2001 8:56:15 PM PDT by American Soldier

To: American Soldier
Oh yeah one thing... Consider sending him to the John Birch Society's summer program if you are worried about leftist professors molesting his brain. http://www.jbs.org ... They'll give him a pre-college intro to political and economic theories without any Marxist slant. Then he'd be more than prepared to duke it out with the classroom commies he'll encounter...
5 posted on 09/10/2001 8:58:58 PM PDT by American Soldier
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

I'd like to recommend my alma mater. Sadly, I cannot. I was in the last class of commissionees before the ROTC program was disbanded. The last, best conservative Profs have retired or passed away in the ensuing years. The few times I’ve returned, I’ve become increasingly disenchanted….
6 posted on 09/10/2001 8:59:15 PM PDT by Joe 6-pack

Hillsdale College and Grove City College are two schools that will offer a superior education. The Ludwig Von Mises Institute (one of the few academic centers focusing on free market economics) is located at Auburn University.
7 posted on 09/10/2001 9:00:11 PM PDT by Un-PC

What about Pepperdine in CA?
8 posted on 09/10/2001 9:00:25 PM PDT by marajade (maraskywalker@earthlink.net)

To: American Soldier
I agree, to paraphrase Corrie ten Boom (sp?), just because a mouse is in a breadbox does not make him a loaf of bread...

We attend an Assemblies of God church. They have a decent school in Evangel College in Missouri, and I certainly know the folks there agree with our Christian practice (generally, there's nuts everywhere). I am hoping for multiple choices. Thanks for the reply.

9 posted on 09/10/2001 9:00:36 PM PDT by Ted
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

To: Un-PC
Duh, Grove City, my Sis-in-Law went there. I should have thought of that. Thanks.
10 posted on 09/10/2001 9:02:23 PM PDT by Ted
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 7 | View Replies]

To: CR
I'll pick up a copy of the National Review College Guide, thanks. We'll look into Furman as well.

I'm curious, why did you/ya'll choose Furman?

11 posted on 09/10/2001 9:03:55 PM PDT by Ted
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

Thus far I like what I see at Hillsdale College in Michigan, but dang, Michigan?

Hillsdale is a great college, accepts no Federal funding, very pretty area.

And what's wrong with my beautiful winter/water wonderland?

You can even use your hand to show your friends were your son goes to school!

12 posted on 09/10/2001 9:05:14 PM PDT by apackof2

To: Joe 6-pack
Disenchanted with Gettysburg College? Sad, I would never have thunk it...

I wonder if I am simply getting more conservative as I get older, or are the schools that much worse, or a combo of the two? Thanks.

13 posted on 09/10/2001 9:06:20 PM PDT by Ted
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 6 | View Replies]

If he can carry a football for 1,000+ yards for each of the next 4 years, I'd like to suggest Southern Cal.......

O.K., they're not conservative, but they're in dire need of a tail back to run that Student Body Right sweep

....and they have a cute little horsie.

14 posted on 09/10/2001 9:06:28 PM PDT by hole_n_one

To: apackof2
OK, I'll bite. How does one use one's hand to show that they attend(ed) school at Hillsdale? Of course, I'm VERY familiar with the Hook-em Horns!

Yep, I went to Univ. of Texas. Love the football, but now you know one reason why I take this issue so seriously... I'd hate to subject my boy to it.

You went to Hillsdale? How was it? Thx.

15 posted on 09/10/2001 9:10:25 PM PDT by Ted
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 12 | View Replies]

Hey Ted ... good luck. I'll be in your shoes in a few years.

My thought is an obvious ... what about U Texas ? Unless you're looking for a small school or a school away from Austin, I've really appreciated the UT grads that I work with (devout Christians all). In general, I'd go for the school's educational rep above all.

16 posted on 09/10/2001 9:12:11 PM PDT by JPR_Boise_ID

Furman meets all of the criteria you spelled out - pretty much the same criteria we had - with the exception of the cost. Furman is closer to $28,000, including room and board.

We sent him to a very conservative private Christian HS in Birmingham AL (for example, this is the first year that girls will be allowed to wear slacks to school). Furman was highly recommended by a number of the teachers there.

The teacher's recommendation, the NR College Guide rating, plus academic rating from the more traditional college guides all looked very positive. After visiting the school and meeting with some of the teachers and students, and hearing a speech by the President, we were sold.

17 posted on 09/10/2001 9:13:56 PM PDT by CR
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 11 | View Replies]

To: CR
By the way, my son just started at Furman University in Greenville SC

My daughter graduated from Furman in 1999 (B.A. in Education). It is an EXCELLENT school in a conservative part of the country. Well worth investigating.

My daughter had Dr. Batson (spelling?) for psychology and learned a LOT. Not the psycho-babble crap you might get somewhere else, but real, honest principles. Be prepared for an academic challenge. I happened to notice that Clemson used the same Psych text that she had... for their junior level course. She took a Freshman course!

18 posted on 09/10/2001 9:14:47 PM PDT by bcoffey
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

To: hole_n_one
Your boys lost to one of our new arch-rivals K-State on Saturday. I look forward to the day when the real truth about Bill Snyder comes out - it seems to me he is just a bit too much of a control freak. Maybe not. An amazing record of 11 wins each of the last 3 seasons.

As for my boy, no way. He's a 6 foot, size 14 shoes, 290 pound defensive tackle. Unless there's food 1000 yards away he ain't running that far...

19 posted on 09/10/2001 9:14:53 PM PDT by Ted
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 14 | View Replies]

Duh ... I should have mentioned Grove City too. I grew up around Grove City ... its a great college and a beautiful place. However, it's even farther from you than Hillsdale would be in MI.
20 posted on 09/10/2001 9:16:24 PM PDT by JPR_Boise_ID
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 10 | View Replies]

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-6061-80 ... 141 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson