Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Dems Say Attacks Underscore Terrorist Threat, Misguided Missile-Defense Priorities (Volcanic Barf)
http://www.AviationNow.com/avnow/news/channel_military.jsp?view=story&id=news/mnmd0911.xml ^ | 11-Sep-2001 12:41 PM U.S. EDT | Jim Mathews and Marc Selinger

Posted on 09/11/2001 4:03:20 PM PDT by anymouse

The Bush Administration should drop its preoccupation with missile-defense spending and focus its dollars on combating terrorism in the wake of at least two apparently successful attacks on major U.S. centers this morning, top Capitol Hill Democrats say.

"We've got to get with it," declared Marty Meehan (D-Mass.), the ranking Democrat on the House Armed Services Committee's R&D panel. "I would hope and think that every member of Congress would recognize that we need to shift our national security priorities and focus and make a commitment to fighting terrorism, not just with rhetoric, but with our resources."

Vermont Sen. Patrick Leahy, a Democrat on the Senate Appropriations Committee's defense subcommittee, is less concerned about a missile fired at the U.S., "especially a missile that has a return address on it, than I am about coordinated terrorist attacks like this where we don't know whether they're domestic, foreign or what they are."

Gen. Wesley Clark, former NATO commander, told the CNN cable network that this was a "coordinated attack," adding that "there's only one group that has ever indicated that it has this kind of ability and that's [Saudi dissident and suspected international terrorist] Osama bin Laden. So that's obviously the first suspicion.

"There have been many threats made against U.S., threats of terrorism. There is no doubt that for a long time there have been groups that have tried to target the U.S....In this case, we didn't have the information and weren't able to take the action to break it up."

That shows how the U.S. needs to "do a better job" of monitoring terrorists and terrorist groups, Meehan said, which should mean shifting resources from national missile defense to fighting terrorism, which he describes as a "much greater threat to national security."

"We're talking about $100 billion for a national missile-defense system," Meehan said. "We ought to take those resources and put them into high-tech surveillance technology....We need to find the technologies that don't presently exist to fight terrorism."

TOPICS: News/Current Events; Politics/Elections
KEYWORDS:
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-6061-80 ... 121-137 next last
These Demo-rats need to be centured, and they better hope their constituents don't "vote them out" before they can beg for forgivness.
1 posted on 09/11/2001 4:03:20 PM PDT by anymouse
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: anymouse
The stupid dems ought to give up their obstructionist policies of delaying the President's nominations for his administration and stop their silly political games so our administration can go about the primary function of the government as stated by the Constitution: Provide for the common defense. Congress sure has done a s****y job of fulfilling that task.
2 posted on 09/11/2001 4:06:01 PM PDT by Real Cynic No More
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

This is so unbelievable as to be surreal or satire.

Next time it might be a missile.

3 posted on 09/11/2001 4:06:14 PM PDT by tallhappy

Idiot democratic party. Flight crews and passengers with cheap handguns could have fought off these attacks.
4 posted on 09/11/2001 4:06:58 PM PDT by JeepInMazar

Marty Meehan is a mealy mouthed scum bag and a fascist to boot. A disgraceful human being.
5 posted on 09/11/2001 4:07:44 PM PDT by jwalsh07

Disgraceful. Almost traitorous.
6 posted on 09/11/2001 4:08:28 PM PDT by Nachum

It never ceases to amaze me how incredibly political the commie libs are, whether in the media or in the government. I suppose a tragic event like this will show who the real Americans are, however (sorry, Mr. Dershowitz).
7 posted on 09/11/2001 4:09:14 PM PDT by Major Matt Mason

Shut your fat friggin mouths before we run you up on charges of treason, you pathetic partisan opportunists.
8 posted on 09/11/2001 4:09:35 PM PDT by Osinski

Everyone should join together and DEMAND that these idiots resign for their treasonous comments during a national emergency. I hope O'Reilly hears about this.
9 posted on 09/11/2001 4:09:44 PM PDT by B Knotts

"We've got to get with it," declared Marty Meehan (D-Mass.), the ranking Democrat on the House Armed Services Committee's R&D panel. "I would hope and think that every member of Congress would recognize that we need to shift our national security priorities and focus and make a commitment to fighting terrorism, not just with rhetoric, but with our resources."

I agree ..... we need to make a commitment .. WITH NUKES

The rest of this article is trash, like the freakin democratic leadership. How many voting democrats are thinking about this kind of crap at a time like this. We're at war you idiot(the congresscritter not the poster).

10 posted on 09/11/2001 4:11:04 PM PDT by Centurion2000

To: Osinski
Roger that.
11 posted on 09/11/2001 4:13:19 PM PDT by humblegunner
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8 | View Replies]

This is a "pre-emptive strike" by the Democrats to head off examination and criticism of their cynical, unpatriotic vote in the Senate Armed Services Committee last week to strip the defense appropriations bill of the money for NMD that GW requested.

Don't let these sonsofbitches get away with it!!! America needs effective counter-terrorism AND missile defense. Whatever state helped the terrorists today---N. Korea, Iraq, Pakistan---probably has nukes too that could be used with devastating effect on us so long as we're naked without NMD.

12 posted on 09/11/2001 4:13:39 PM PDT by Map Kernow

Let's see. The Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor was carried out by the Japanese Naval air arm. Therefore, any funding for the U.S. Army infantry was "misguided".

This logic makes perfect sense to me.

The only thing that I don't understand is how these Democrats are able to breathe with their heads stuck so far up their rectums.

13 posted on 09/11/2001 4:14:40 PM PDT by Polybius

To: Osinski
"MAJOR DITTO!!!"
14 posted on 09/11/2001 4:15:15 PM PDT by america76
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8 | View Replies]

What a time to bring up their agenda. DEMS = A pack of pukes.
15 posted on 09/11/2001 4:15:18 PM PDT by anniegetyourgun

What an evil moron.

Imagine if Bin Laden were being harbored in Pakistan, a nuclear-armed nation. Imagine if Pakistan or another unfriendly state with nukes decided to pledge its protection to Bin Laden (or whoever perpetrated this attack).

NMD is NOT about shooting down missles in a full scale assault. It is about retaining the power to project our WILL abroad. Without it, we will be held hostage.

16 posted on 09/11/2001 4:15:52 PM PDT by cicero's_son

To: Major Matt Mason
It never ceases to amaze me how incredibly political the commie libs are

Check. When they said they'd get behind GW in this national crisis, they meant they'd do it with a tube of KY Jelly.

17 posted on 09/11/2001 4:16:31 PM PDT by Map Kernow
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 7 | View Replies]

"We're talking about $100 billion for a national missile-defense system," Meehan said. "We ought to take those resources and put them into high-tech surveillance technology....We need to find the technologies that don't presently exist to fight terrorism."

I'll bet a pretty little penny that prior to today, you cannot find a single quote by Marty Meehan in support of increased spending in the areas of counter-terrorism or counter-intelligence. Just a bet...

18 posted on 09/11/2001 4:16:53 PM PDT by the808bass

To: Polybius
The only thing that I don't understand is how these Democrats are able to breathe with their heads stuck so far up their rectums.

I don't know how they do it either. I do observe that they've had lots of practice.

19 posted on 09/11/2001 4:17:05 PM PDT by El Gato
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 13 | View Replies]

More than likely next attack will be missiles. Wonder what dems think it will be.We will need missile defense more than ever. Dems should show a little class and shut up for a change. Better yet they should make Condit hand over Chandra.
20 posted on 09/11/2001 4:17:43 PM PDT by dalebert

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-6061-80 ... 121-137 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson