Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

SOMEONE ANSWER THESE QUESTIONS.........OR EVEN ASK THEM!
JohnnLee

Posted on 09/12/2001 1:14:49 AM PDT by JohnnLee

For the third time tonight, I am attempting to put this question before this forum.........forgive me if it has been asked already......

Of the four airliners involved, none were even half full. All had capacities in the 250 range!

The two that left Logan, non-stops bound for LAX had 81 passenger(AA), and 58 (United). Both departed within 17 minutes of each other, as well as another flight (Delta), also a non-stop for LAX. If my calculations are correct, that means well in excess of 400 empty seats were scheduled non=stop.

QUESTION #1: Don't airlines usually work together ti fill aircraft?

The other two planes had 52 and 38 passengers respectively.

QUESTION #2 Aren't flights with less than 20% capacity usually cancelled?

In my limited experience (about 25 commercial flights in the last 30 years) I have never been on a flight that wasn't at least 75% booked. Most were packed!

TOPICS: News/Current Events
KEYWORDS:
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-54 next last
I'll put on my tinfoil hat and asbestos underwear and wait until I get a reasonable answere to these two questions.
1 posted on 09/12/2001 1:14:49 AM PDT by JohnnLee
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: JohnnLee Ms. AntiFemiNazi Lazamataz Hugh Akston Plummz JohnHuang2
BUMP!
2 posted on 09/12/2001 1:20:12 AM PDT by Cool Guy
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

Comment #3 Removed by Moderator

To: JohnnLee
BIG Question:

I understand that the terrorists turned off the transponders..... Why do civilian aircraft transponders have the capability of being turned off....thus allowing the aircraft to fly without the FAA having the ability to track altitude?

4 posted on 09/12/2001 1:25:12 AM PDT by cbkaty

Airlines do not trade passengers to fill one flight instead of letting 3 1/3 full flights take off within 30 minutes of eachother. I have flown on 15 round trips since 5 feb 01 and have never had a flight cxl'd due to not having enough passengers. They figure out real quick whether or not enough passengers fly during those hours and whether or not it is profitable for the airlines to conduct those flights. You have to remember, when the flight gets to the west coast it probably turns around, hits Vegas and another city or sometimes 2 before it gets back to the east coast. In other cases the flight begins in LA flys straight to NY and then stops in 1-2-3 places before it gets back to LA when it starts all over again. This is how they make up for only flyig 50+ folks one way, non-stop. Look at daily operating costs not individual flights. Just my two cents.
5 posted on 09/12/2001 1:29:44 AM PDT by William_Rusher

Comment #6 Removed by Moderator

Empty flights happen all the time but it's less frequent now than in the past. Tuesdays are one of the better days to fly because it's a light day. Sundays, Mondays and Fridays are the heaviest. Most one or two day meetings tend to be scheduled early in the week which forces you to fly Sunday or Monday. If it's a longer time it tends to wrap up on Thursday or Friday.
7 posted on 09/12/2001 1:33:46 AM PDT by airedale

Comment #8 Removed by Moderator

To: Patriot76
In the end, I expect the FBI to announce that, after a thorough examination, they find that Tim McVeigh acted alone in piloting four aircraft that struck buildings in New York and Washington.....

Sigh.

9 posted on 09/12/2001 1:35:18 AM PDT by GalvestonBeachcomber
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 6 | View Replies]

Not to speculate too much but a low passenger count would be advantageous to the terrorists in controlling the aircraft...in that a full load might include some hero types who might try to storm the cockpit. They certainly didn't want the planes going down someplace like the one in Pa.
10 posted on 09/12/2001 1:45:17 AM PDT by xp38

To: cbkaty
"Why do civilian aircraft transponders have the capability of being turned off"

Couple of reasons: 1. Transponders can give erroneous results. If so, they are turned off. Bad autonomous informtion is worse than no autonomous information. 2. Transponders are turned off (actually, placed in 'standby') on the ground to reduce traffice control clutter. Can you imagine trying to track an aircraft taking off or landing at a busy airport like LAX or JFK if every aircraft at the terminals or on the taxiways had their transponder on? The traffic controllers scope would be unintelligible.

11 posted on 09/12/2001 1:45:22 AM PDT by SpyGuy
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

I've taken a lot of coast-to-coast flights for business. When the economy is good, people love the morning flights to get to their destinations early and get a good night's rest before starting the next day.

When the economy heads south, the morning flights tend to see the popularity drop like a rock. People who take the evening flight can not only get in a day worth of work when they leave, but they can go to work immediately after arrival.

The other thing to remember is that even when flights run nearly empty, there is big business in hauling freight, everything from mail to machine parts. The freight business is the steady part of the airline's income. They can break-even or even make a small profit on a nearly-empty passenger flight if they have a full cargo hold.

Big freight-only carriers such as Emery, FedEx and UPS know this and will keep their own planes in the hangars when capacity is available from the commercial airlines.

When it comes to freight handling, most urgent cargo likes the morning flights-- because the sorting for the end-destination at the arrival terminal generally takes place during the night. Cargo which arrives in the morning will queue for sorting and usually will be to late to get on the trucks making their rounds for the day.

12 posted on 09/12/2001 1:48:25 AM PDT by Vigilanteman

To: Patriot76
He's probably getting at what I was getting at when
I asked similarly, why only 266 passengers among four
planes?

Collusion. Transponders turned off - why? NOT ONE sent
the four digit code - were the pilots or a co-pilot in
involved or one prevented the other from sending it or
secretly turned the transponder off?

Look for a Third Position fascist group with rich and
respectable connections, in some cases elected or other
officials in this network, incl. a notion of reviving
real authrentic to antiquity paganism as the only faith
appropriate to a white man, as the local collusion part.

Some dubious but sometimes correct people in Europe,
according to a Usenet post, are thinking it involves
American collusion.

13 posted on 09/12/2001 1:49:17 AM PDT by Infowolf1 (Infowolf1@aol.com)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 6 | View Replies]

I don't have any theories, but I did take note that the flights seemed relatively empty. Not just one of them either. Yes, this would be more helpful in terms of passenger control, but if this was planned for "years" in advance and they needed people on the ground etc. etc., I wonder how they could have managed to board multiple empty flights simultaneously. No tin foil hat for me. I simply wonder if this shows how well managed the operation was on a logistical basis, suggesting there had to be help inside the airline?
14 posted on 09/12/2001 1:51:02 AM PDT by bluefish

To: SpyGuy
2. Transponders are turned off (actually, placed in 'standby') on the ground to reduce traffice control clutter. Can you imagine trying to track an aircraft taking off or landing at a busy airport like LAX or JFK if every aircraft at the terminals or on the taxiways had their transponder on? The traffic controllers scope would be unintelligible.

I can understand this...but an auto-shutdown could be designed the craft is on a tarmac.... to avoid the added scope clutter.

15 posted on 09/12/2001 1:52:16 AM PDT by cbkaty
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 11 | View Replies]

In my limited experience (about 25 commercial flights in the last 30 years) I have never been on a flight that wasn't at least 75% booked. Most were packed!

I've never known airlines to work with each other to "fill" flights... sometimes they'll cancel one of their own to fill one of their own later on... sometimes.

Usually what happens is that the plane is needed at the other city so it can make return trips, so even if it's just 1 person, they might have no choice but to send it anyway. Or maybe the flight crew needs to get back, so they take it anyway.

Anyway, it does happen, and I've been on a few flights like that. It's actually really nice when that happens, compared to being crammed in like sardines. Nothing like having an entire 757 wide body to just yourself and a handful of other people. :)

16 posted on 09/12/2001 1:53:17 AM PDT by MPB

To: cbkaty
Re-read point #1.
17 posted on 09/12/2001 1:54:46 AM PDT by SpyGuy
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 15 | View Replies]

To: SpyGuy
I guess that I am just saying....there is a technical solution...there must be one that will prevent a terrorist pilot from doing this again.

Nuke em Dano?

18 posted on 09/12/2001 1:59:36 AM PDT by cbkaty
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 17 | View Replies]

To: ALL
Several good, reasonable answeres in the first few replies. I'm not suggesting anything at all, but when I heard the numbers of passengers, it seemed very peculiar. It still does but not to such a degree as it did about 15 hours ago!
19 posted on 09/12/2001 2:00:41 AM PDT by JohnnLee
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 14 | View Replies]

Comment #20 Removed by Moderator

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-54 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson