Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Text of Bush's Statement(9/12/01)
AP ^

Posted on 09/12/2001 8:25:38 AM PDT by Dane

Today: September 12, 2001 at 8:20:29 PDT Text of Bush's Statement About Attacks

Text of President Bush's statement Wednesday about terrorist attacks, as transcribed by eMediaMillWorks Inc.:

I just completed a meeting with our national security team, and we've received the latest intelligence updates.

The deliberate and deadly attacks, which were carried out yesterday against our country, were more than acts of terror. They were acts of war. This will require our country to unite in steadfast determination and resolve. Freedom and democracy are under attack.

The American people need to know we're facing a different enemy than we have ever faced. This enemy hides in shadows and has no regard for human life. This is an enemy who preys on innocent and unsuspecting people, then runs for cover, but it won't be able to run for cover forever. This is an enemy that tries to hide, but it won't be able to hide forever. This is an enemy that thinks its harbors are safe, but they won't be safe forever. This enemy attacked not just our people but all freedom-loving people everywhere in the world.

The United States of America will use all our resources to conquer this enemy. We will rally the world. We will be patient. We'll be focused, and we will be steadfast in our determination. This battle will take time and resolve, but make no mistake about it, we will win.

The federal government and all our agencies are conducting business, but it is not business as usual. We are operating on heightened security alert. America is going forward, and as we do so, we must remain keenly aware of the threats to our country.

Those in authority should take appropriate precautions to protect our citizens. But we will not allow this enemy to win the war by changing our way of life or restricting our freedoms.

This morning, I am sending to Congress a request for emergency funding authority so that we are prepared to spend whatever it takes to rescue victims, to help the citizens of New York City and Washington, D. C., respond to this tragedy, and to protect our national security.

I want to thank the members of Congress for their unity and support. America is united. The freedom-loving nations of the world stand by our side. This will be a monumental struggle of good versus evil, but good will prevail.

Thank you very much.

TOPICS: Breaking News; News/Current Events
KEYWORDS:
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-33 next last
1 posted on 09/12/2001 8:25:39 AM PDT by Dane
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: Dane
Pray for our President. Pray for our country.
2 posted on 09/12/2001 8:28:03 AM PDT by Oldeconomybuyer
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

Thank you for posting this.
3 posted on 09/12/2001 8:29:37 AM PDT by workerbee

To: Ms. Antifeminazi
We will be patient. We'll be focused, and we will be steadfast in our determination. This battle will take time and resolve, but make no mistake about it, we will win...

...But we will not allow this enemy to win the war by changing our way of life or restricting our freedoms.

Bump.
4 posted on 09/12/2001 8:30:03 AM PDT by Hugh Akston

To: jammer
Still think he is in hiding and not doing anything?
5 posted on 09/12/2001 8:31:36 AM PDT by Phantom Lord
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

The deliberate and deadly attacks, which were carried out yesterday against our country, were more than acts of terror. They were acts of war.

Man, I'm so glad to hear those words that I have been saying over and over. Now I want a formal Declaration of War by Congress.

Cordially,

6 posted on 09/12/2001 8:34:17 AM PDT by Diamond

IMHO, this is just right. Seemingly a very measured response, but in diplomatic terms I think it's a very strong one. I would hope Bush has privately issued Afghanistan the ultimatum to deliver all terrorists immediately or face the consequences of harboring them.
7 posted on 09/12/2001 8:34:45 AM PDT by NittanyLion

To: Oldeconomybuyer
Yes, pray that the liberal, America-hating, communist, pantywaist Neville-Chamberlain-type pacifists are pushed aside and hard-nosed Patton-like military leaders come to the forefront. This is WAR! Let's send them to hell where they belong.
8 posted on 09/12/2001 8:36:16 AM PDT by exmarine
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

... Amazing. A post of your's that isn't a complete fabrication. A post of your's that is actually useful.

Alright you body-snatcher ... what have you done with the real Dane?

9 posted on 09/12/2001 8:39:00 AM PDT by That Poppins Woman

I stand by the President, and our military, as we hopefully unleash the full might and fury of this great country.

And when we are done, I hope we, as a nation, rethink our foreign policy, and refrain from acting as the worldwide bully...

10 posted on 09/12/2001 8:47:35 AM PDT by fod

They were acts of war. This will require our country to unite in steadfast determination and resolve. Freedom and democracy are under attack.

I missed this statement. Where was it delivered?

Does this mean he will ask congress for a formal declaration of war? That is the only way I can see that the statement will make any sense.

Does Congress have the will to see this through?

11 posted on 09/12/2001 8:47:36 AM PDT by xzins

To: NittanyLion
Why stop with Afganistan? Don't read this as an attack, my point is to clean up the whole mess. Lebanon, Syria, Libya, Iran,Iraq, and any one else who harbors these thugs. Tell them to hand them over or there will be reprisals for failing to do so. The World's Policeman just got attacked, time to stop being Joe the neighborhood beat cop and time to start being Dirty Harry. It would be in the World's best interests to erradicate all terrorists.
12 posted on 09/12/2001 8:51:20 AM PDT by SCHROLL
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 7 | View Replies]

To: Phantom Lord
Bush has said only two things in two days, (1) that we see no distinction between terrorists and those who harbor them and (2) its an act of war.

But still, that's a bunch of talk. What's he going to do? Vengeance must be swift. "Patience", my a$$.

13 posted on 09/12/2001 8:51:50 AM PDT by Darth Reagan
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

To: xzins
"Does Congress have the will to see this through?"

I don't believe we have any choice...and not just for us, the world is watching. If we do not handle this swiftly and decisively, no one is safe anywhere.

Of the people I know (admittedly a small group), there is not one person who believes we can sweep this under the rug or use diplomacy.

14 posted on 09/12/2001 8:54:44 AM PDT by LeeMcCoy
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 11 | View Replies]

To: fod
What kind of crap is that? Stop being the worldwide bully? I suppose we should have sat out WWII if the Japanese wouldn't have attacked us? Take this bleeding heart nonsense elsewhere. After yesterday I don't think many of us appreciate your sentiments.
15 posted on 09/12/2001 8:55:53 AM PDT by SCHROLL
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 10 | View Replies]

To: Dane,ALL
Your post is not complete -- the line about holding the nations who harbour the "terrorists" just as responsible as the terrorists themselves, and the quote from the 23rd Psalm is also missing.
I believe both statements are too important to leave out!
16 posted on 09/12/2001 8:56:19 AM PDT by PA_hayseed (PA_hayseed@juno.com)

To: Darth Reagan
Revenge is a dish best eaten cold. How about Jimmy Doolittle's raid on Tokyo, as revenge for the attack on Pearl Harbor? I'm sure there were people who were champing at the bit to take swift revenge. But in order to be successful, there must be preparation and planning. Striking out blindly and swiftly may just miss the mark. I want our response to strike at the very heart of those who are harboring the terrorists, and we must be sure of our target.
17 posted on 09/12/2001 8:56:46 AM PDT by .38sw
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 13 | View Replies]

To: Darth Reagan
Vengeance is a dish best served cold.
We must give him some time to
1 find out who,
2 the size of the bomb.
On #2 really really big works for me.
18 posted on 09/12/2001 8:59:57 AM PDT by Valin
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 13 | View Replies]

To: PA_hayseed
I believe those statements were in the Presidents speech from last night. This thread references the Presidents remarks from this morning.
19 posted on 09/12/2001 9:00:11 AM PDT by TexasNative2000
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 16 | View Replies]

Thanks, I missed this speech.
20 posted on 09/12/2001 9:03:02 AM PDT by oc-flyfish

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-33 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson