Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

F.A.A. Announces Stricter Rules; Knives No Longer Allowed
New York Times ^ | 9/13/01 | PAUL ZIELBAUER with JOHN SULLIVAN

Posted on 09/12/2001 8:43:48 PM PDT by kattracks

BOSTON, Sept. 12 — While it is illegal to carry cans of hairspray, sparklers and rat poison onto passenger jets, Federal Aviation Administration regulations have for many years allowed passengers to carry knives with blades up to four inches long on commercial flights.

That changed today, as the agency announced new, far stricter security guidelines for airports nationwide. The measures were part of the first broad regulatory response to the hijackings Tuesday by terrorists, at least some of whom wielded knives and box cutters.

Airports were closed for a second day today. The F.A.A. said that once flights resumed, knives and cutting instruments of any size, made of metal, plastic or any other material, would no longer be allowed on commercial planes. They also cannot be used or sold in any part of airport terminals, including by diners in restaurants and concession stands.

Essentially, the new rules mean that airport diners will be left with forks and spoons, or possibly chopsticks, but no cutlery. The rules will tighten security but also increase the time to check baggage, enter airline terminals and board planes.

Curbside check-in will be eliminated. Jetliners will be searched by security officers before passengers get on. Passenger planes will no longer carry cargo or mail, to reduce the risks of bombs. And unattended cars will be towed if they are parked within 300 feet of a terminal.

The changes came as a law-enforcement official disclosed that a group of terrorists on at least one of Tuesday's four hijacked flights wielded sharp plastic knives and razor blades with handles, known as box cutters.

The airlines have long allowed people to carry on Swiss Army knives or perhaps a straight-edge razor. But the hijackings showed that even such low-grade weapons can provide enough force if brandished by determined terrorists.

"I could never understand why they allowed pocket knives to be carried aboard planes, because basically they are weapons," said Donald Egelston, a retired special agent and former security manager for Trans World Airlines.

The new security rules were negotiated between Federal Aviation Administration and Transportation Department officials and the chief executives of the country's major airlines in a series of conference calls beginning Tuesday night and ending today.

The Air Transport Association, the industry's lobby, suggested that even further measures be taken. The group said the F.A.A. should consider nationalizing passenger screening and revive the sky marshals program, which placed anonymous armed agents on selected flights.

Federal officials have long criticized the effectiveness of the security checkpoints, which are typically run by contractors working for the airlines.

That concern was magnified in May 2000, when Argenbright Holdings Ltd., a company that screens passengers at many of the nation's largest airports, pleaded guilty to federal fraud charges stemming from its hiring of 1,300 untrained security guards at Philadelphia International Airport. Dozens of the guards had criminal records.

Argenbright, which is still on probation, acknowledged today that it had screened the passengers Tuesday who took American Airlines flights out of Washington's Dulles International Airport in Washington and United Airlines flights in Newark.

An American plane out of Dulles and a United plane out of Newark, along with two flights from a Boston airport, were hijacked on Tuesday.

"We are unable to comment on any operational issues with regard to this tragic event," said Sara Jackson, Argenbright's marketing manager.

TOPICS: Extended News; News/Current Events
KEYWORDS:
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-38 next last

1 posted on 09/12/2001 8:43:48 PM PDT by kattracks
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: kattracks
This is actually a pretty absurd proposition. They're going to outlaw acrylic knives now? How about plastic forks? Harsh language?
2 posted on 09/12/2001 8:51:16 PM PDT by Bush2000
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

We needs for passengers to have more options to fight terrorists...not fewer.
3 posted on 09/12/2001 8:52:56 PM PDT by veronica

Knives No Longer Allowed

Yep, that ought to do it. We all feel safer now.

4 posted on 09/12/2001 8:55:38 PM PDT by oyez

This is typical government idiocy. Now because of this incident, when I fly to Californai this Christmas season, I won't be able to cut the impenetrable piece of meat they give me. Sheesh!

Besides, if I were so inclined, couldn't I use my nail cleaner or the clippers as weapons? The terrorists will find something.

Keep these people out of our country instead of restricting me more. This is why people hate government.

5 posted on 09/12/2001 8:56:14 PM PDT by TBP

Why don't we just strip passengers, sedate them, and duct-tape them to the seats? The more defenseless the better. I'm doing a slooow burn on the inability of these fedgov idiots to think outside the box (coffin) they seem to want us in.

Gee, after all these years and years of enhanced security, we still can't prevent the nutcases from killing thousands, but we can certainly help keep the law-abiding incapable of resisting terror.

They have no shame.

6 posted on 09/12/2001 8:58:47 PM PDT by no-s

To: Bush2000
Slip a ceramic knife into a carry on bag and the magnetometer and the x-ray will never see it. Its time to get real. If the perps think their chance of failure is high, they will stay home. They like to make targets not be targets.
7 posted on 09/12/2001 9:00:26 PM PDT by oyez
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

To: Bush2000
Next time the terrorists will probably detonate a nuke.
8 posted on 09/12/2001 9:01:35 PM PDT by Grim
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

Have to tell you I have been shocked to learn that pocket knives have been allowed on airplanes. Before 9/11 if anyone had asked me I would have said "Of course you can't bring that on a plane". Guess I was too busy telling them I had packed my own bags and they had not been out of my sight.
9 posted on 09/12/2001 9:04:56 PM PDT by Jacvin

To: Grim
Next time the terrorists will probably detonate a nuke.

I don't know about "probably". A nuke isn't exactly easy to come by.
10 posted on 09/12/2001 9:08:43 PM PDT by Bush2000
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8 | View Replies]

Having worked in a maximum security prison, I can tell you that it's incredibly easy to make a shank from any number of easily accessible items once on board an aircraft. This idiotic policy is strictly for public consumption. It will not stop nor deter any committed fanatic. Same goes for all the idiotic ideas about minimum wage security guards and better background checks of airline and airport employees. Having also worked for an airline, I know how easy it is to get anything you want to an airplane. Unlike corralling passengers and screening them, airline employees access the flightline from numerous buildings, with no screening whatsoever. Screening all of them is next to impossible, and would be prohibitively expensive. As for background checks, what do you look for? Criminal history? Newly arrived immigrants won't have one. Don't hire them? Can you hear the American Criminal Lover's Union screaming racism, along with Jesse and Big Al? What about the pay security guards receive? The terrorists can get hired to do that, and pay is not an issue for them. I can't see them bribing an outsider. The risk of compromising an act of terror would be too great. If a small ring of terrorists runs one checkpoint they can let their accomplices through. No matter what roadblocks we throw up, they'll find a way around them. What we really need to do is end our insane immigration policy. We need to stop letting ourselves be used as a dumping ground for all the garbage of the world.
11 posted on 09/12/2001 9:09:02 PM PDT by AlaskaErik

Brilliant.

Next they can double the sentences for the fools who say forbidden words like "gun" and "hijack".

Then we'll really be safe...

12 posted on 09/12/2001 9:09:09 PM PDT by Interesting Times

To: oyez
Slip a ceramic knife into a carry on bag and the magnetometer and the x-ray will never see it. Its time to get real. If the perps think their chance of failure is high, they will stay home. They like to make targets not be targets.

That's my point: Outlawing these items won't stop them from being smuggled onto planes. Existing technology won't work.
13 posted on 09/12/2001 9:09:34 PM PDT by Bush2000
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 7 | View Replies]

I guess the next thing will be to outlaw sheets of paper. Those paper cuts can be downright nasty.
14 posted on 09/12/2001 9:10:50 PM PDT by Tench_Coxe

To: TBP
Yeah, that's it.
My children and I will no longer fly a commercial flight unless I can carry concealed on board. I will happily load up with Glaser slugs or other frangibles if the airline so requests it.

There is a reason to keep and bear arms and there is a reason why the government is enjoined from infringing on that right. Prima Facie.

15 posted on 09/12/2001 9:11:53 PM PDT by no-s
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

To: AlaskaErik
What we really need to do is end our insane immigration policy. We need to stop letting ourselves be used as a dumping ground for all the garbage of the world.

Agreed. But the Democrats know that it would be the end of their party since we are gradually becoming more Republican every year.
16 posted on 09/12/2001 9:12:07 PM PDT by Bush2000
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 11 | View Replies]

Predictable, useless horsesh*t. A feel-good response that will do nothing substantive to address the real problem, to wit: the present security "measures" are feel-good pablums, and may dissuade the psychotic, but will do nothing but grant false assurance to the gullible public. The dedicated criminal or terrorist will simply find another way.

My suggestion is to let passengers carry firearms. Begin with law enforcement and military personnel, then provide training programs and fragmentation ammunition to passengers who elect to take a course in airline hijacking. Such passengers would briefly meet before flights with airline or security personnel and notify in advance of their concealed carry status.

There are dozens of weapons that can be taken into an airliner, including liquid explosives, paper or baked goods containing explosives, ceramic, glass or plastic knives, and chemical poisons, including cyanide.

17 posted on 09/12/2001 9:12:39 PM PDT by Jesse

To: oyez
I've been carrying a ceramic pocketknife for years. --- Never shows up on the walk through stalls, even when they're set so high they reject a coin or two.

This is really a stupid rule. Do they intend to strip & search body cavities? -- If not, anyone can smuggle though such a knife.

18 posted on 09/12/2001 9:16:25 PM PDT by tpaine
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 7 | View Replies]

To: AlaskaErik
What we really need to do is end our insane immigration policy

The they get to rent autos, get technical training, get credit, get jobs or get anysthing with out question. We're giving the whole damn country away.

19 posted on 09/12/2001 9:19:39 PM PDT by oyez
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 11 | View Replies]

Apparently, the rulemakers at the FAA aren't too smart...
20 posted on 09/12/2001 9:20:12 PM PDT by northislander

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-38 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson