Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

What I Saw at the Devastation
WSJ.COM, Opinion Journal ^ | 13 September 2001 | Peggy Noonan

Posted on 09/12/2001 11:31:20 PM PDT by Darlin'

Edited on 04/23/2004 12:03:30 AM PDT by Jim Robinson. [history]

This, for me, is the unforgettable image of the day: the fine gray ash that covered everything downtown, all the people and buildings and cars; the ash that flew into the air in the explosions and the burning and that settled over half the city. It was just like Pompeii, which also was taken by surprise and also was left covered top to bottom with ash, fine gray ash.

(Excerpt) Read more at opinionjournal.com ...

TOPICS: News/Current Events
KEYWORDS:
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-24 next last

1 posted on 09/12/2001 11:31:20 PM PDT by Darlin'
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: Darlin'
great article though I disagree on the Jenning's applause.
2 posted on 09/12/2001 11:36:42 PM PDT by KantianBurke
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

Comment #3 Removed by Moderator

Great, great article. Think of the future. Think of the highway we are on, what the endpoint is. We must act now, with overwhelming force.
4 posted on 09/12/2001 11:45:19 PM PDT by Clinton's a rapist

&ltBump>
5 posted on 09/12/2001 11:46:41 PM PDT by Steel and Fire and Stone

Comment #6 Removed by Moderator

To: Carol-HuTex
You're right about the exposure. My uncle who never smoked, got lung cancer after being exposed to asbestos. He did survive.
7 posted on 09/12/2001 11:50:57 PM PDT by Vicki
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

What a beautiful breath of fresh air, compared with Maureen Dowd's turgid rubbish of a column yesterday.
8 posted on 09/13/2001 1:06:42 AM PDT by Byron_the_Aussie

I noticed there were no reports of looting and I got to thinking about the street gangs. These gangs come in all colors and races and have been a growing blight on most cities. I wonder if this horrible tragedy will jar them out of their selfish and stupid gangbanging habits and propel them into some productive activities, helping to contribute to the community they are a part of.

I hope so.

9 posted on 09/13/2001 1:08:51 AM PDT by Octar

and he said, with a rough voice that had love in it, "Firemen don't run out of buildings. Firemen run into buildings"--are blessed indeed.
I can only imagine all the stories of bravery that we are going to be hearing abour in the near future.
God Bless those brave Firefighters, Police, EMS and all rescue workers who gave their lives in this tragedy.
I am an EMT (inactive at the moment) and feel deeply for the families of those heroes.
10 posted on 09/13/2001 1:22:59 AM PDT by StayoutdaBushesWay

See also:

It DID Happen Here

11 posted on 09/13/2001 1:26:58 AM PDT by mrustow

To: StayoutdaBushesWay
Check out the link at #11.
12 posted on 09/13/2001 1:27:34 AM PDT by mrustow
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 10 | View Replies]

To: Carol-HuTex
I might be one who strongly disagrees with your assessment of the dangers of asbestos. My grandfather was a grunt in the asbestos industry until his death after an accident at 92 years. My grandmother passed in her sleep at 97. They lived in the same home since they were married at an early age. Neither my father nor any siblings who were born and raised in that home (and often wore the same clothes for days on end) were affected by cancers. Except one in FL that has skin cancers that have been removed effectively.

I appreciate your concern but I think it has near the same deadly affects as working in a Sweet and Low factory. It is more a money making scheme by fear. I can provide more than anecdotal evidence if you are really too afraid of the stuff.

13 posted on 09/13/2001 2:00:44 AM PDT by Bartholomew Roberts
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 6 | View Replies]

To: catpuppy, Letitring, Quilla, Servant of the Nine,
Ping
14 posted on 09/13/2001 4:44:57 PM PDT by Darlin'

To: grammymoon, susangirl, Kathleen, Dasheel
Ping
15 posted on 09/13/2001 4:47:07 PM PDT by Darlin'

thanks peggy
16 posted on 09/13/2001 4:52:45 PM PDT by linn37

To: celtic gal, gratefulwharffratt, DeSoto, RichInOC
Ping
17 posted on 09/13/2001 4:52:51 PM PDT by Darlin'

We are given another chance to protect our country, alright. Our country needs to fall to our collective knees and repent and cry out to Great God Almighty for mercy and forgiveness. And before those people lacking in understanding accuse me of saying God "caused" this evil to be perpetrated on our country, let me say that God is the Blessed Controller of All Things, and it has been by His Grace alone that we have been thus far safe from such attacks in the past. However, it has become pretty apparent that He has lifted His protecting hand and He is judging our country--this is just the beginning.

"If My people who are called by My Name will humble themselves and pray, and seek My face, turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from Heaven, forgiven their sins, and heal their land."

18 posted on 09/13/2001 5:03:49 PM PDT by The Grim Freeper

To: The Grim Freeper
"I sought for the greatness and genius of America in her comodious harbors and her ample rivers, and it was not there; in her fertile fields and boundless prairies; and it was not there; in her rich mines and her vast commerce, and it was not there. Not until I visited the churches of America and heard her pulpits aflame with righteousness did I understand the secret of her genius and power. America is great because she is good, and if America ever ceases to be good, America will cease to be great."
....Alexis de Tocqueville
19 posted on 09/13/2001 5:39:31 PM PDT by Darlin'
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 18 | View Replies]

To: Wingsofgold, ArizFlash, TheJudge, The Texan
A good article. :)
20 posted on 09/13/2001 5:44:23 PM PDT by Darlin' (W, ~.~ .)

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-24 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson