Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Memorial Service For World Trade Center Casualties Prohibited At Marquette University
My Own Self | 09/13/2001 | My Own Self

Posted on 09/13/2001 12:27:38 PM PDT by Euro-American Scum

Dennis Prager reported this morning that a memorial service consisting of students at Marquette University was prohibited by the university administration because it was deemed to be offensive to foreign students.

Prager's staff was unable to confirm this. Does anybody have any further information about this incident?

TOPICS: News/Current Events
KEYWORDS:
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-38 next last

1 posted on 09/13/2001 12:27:38 PM PDT by Euro-American Scum
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

Comment #2 Removed by Moderator

To: Zmanson
I dont doubt it for a minute. While this particular post may not be accurate or true, in todays PC climate on college campi, it is very possible that such things are occuring.

If UGA can ban a WWII memorial because it only memorializes US soliders and not those of other countries, including the ones we defeated, then why would the above post be of such a suprise?

3 posted on 09/13/2001 12:47:49 PM PDT by Phantom Lord
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

Comment #4 Removed by Moderator

To: Euro-American Scum
Marquette University must do everything in it's power to stamp out the ugly emotion, patriotism, where ever it rears it's ugly head. Our children must be protected from such vulgar displays of old fashioned unenlightenment. It's for the children.
5 posted on 09/13/2001 12:54:46 PM PDT by MissAmericanPie
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

Yes, the story is true, get out of denial. The reasons given by the university for cancelling it have changed over time, but the cancellation is a fact.

Also, it is a fact that in south Seattle last night, Somalis were celebrating the attack wildly for hours and would not stop. This happened in a festive party atmosphere in Somali restaurants.

Also, a female student from Bard College called in to the Dennis Prager show very upset: a professor there was leading the class in a discussion of how the attacks were "just retribution for US evil around the world."

6 posted on 09/13/2001 12:57:41 PM PDT by Travis McGee
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

I have a hard time buying this. Marquette is a private religious school and I would like to see something to back this post up.
7 posted on 09/13/2001 12:58:36 PM PDT by diggerwillow

Comment #8 Removed by Moderator

Notice I did say that the above post may NOT be accurate or true. I am just stating that I would NOT be surprised if such a thing did happen on some American campi. After all, it wasn't that long ago that a public school wanted to remove the American flag from the classroom because it might be offensive to non citizen students!

PC has run rampant upon American society and there is nothing that is out of the question when PC is involved.

9 posted on 09/13/2001 1:00:07 PM PDT by Phantom Lord
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

To: MissAmericanPie
Marquette is a Catholic school and if it has turned into anything like Georgetown - then the commies are in charge.
10 posted on 09/13/2001 1:01:08 PM PDT by jayadams
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

I happened to switch on the tail end of Dennis's show and heard a caller stating he had called the school numerous times this morning to confirm this very story. He claims to have been given the runaround, but was finally contacted by another Prager listener who says she did get through; she related that she was told by a university staffer that the demonstration was not cancelled because it would be offensive to foreigners, but offensive to Democrats. Dennis was so incredulous he wanted him to repeat the story on the air, so people wouldn't think he made it up.

I'm only relating what I heard on the show this morning, but I'd be interested in knowing what is actually going on over there. Seems pretty unbelievable...but then, who knows nowadays?

11 posted on 09/13/2001 1:06:18 PM PDT by truthkeeper

Comment #12 Removed by Moderator

Comment #13 Removed by Moderator

Given the American communist school system, private and public, my statement is about 20 years late as far as I am concerned.
14 posted on 09/13/2001 1:14:50 PM PDT by MissAmericanPie
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8 | View Replies]

Comment #15 Removed by Moderator

To: truthkeeper
from a liberal friend of mine who works at Marquette:
IT'S 100% TRUE. It's all over the place. The leader of the student Republicans asked for the ability to hold a moment of silence at a spot. The AMU Union denied him because they thought it was a "rally". They claim he would have needed a permit. The student said "they told us now was not the time, etc." Sounmds like the school was wrong worng wrong according to the Student Paper (which is really good for a student paper)
16 posted on 09/13/2001 1:30:13 PM PDT by WindMinstrel
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 11 | View Replies]

that is absurb

ab-surd (ab-surd', zurd') adj. 1. Irrational; preposterous; ridiculous. 2. Of or pertaining to the absurd. --n. The state of man's existance in what appears to be anreasonable, meaningless universe: a thesis dealing with the literature of the absurd. [ out of tune, inccongruous]

That about sums up the last 57 hours.

Time to look out for the feelings of Americans. If forigners get offended at our business it is time for them to go home.

17 posted on 09/13/2001 1:31:09 PM PDT by oyez
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 13 | View Replies]

Somehow I doubt this one, although I can see it of public universities. Marquette, is, I believe, a Roman Catholic school. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

If any memorial was canceled, I doubt it had to do with foreign students. My bet would be a denominational squabble, if any cancellation happened at all.

18 posted on 09/13/2001 1:31:13 PM PDT by xzins

Comment #19 Removed by Moderator

Who annoited you freep Police??????
20 posted on 09/13/2001 1:36:55 PM PDT by BushWonGore'sDone
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 13 | View Replies]

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-38 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson