Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

At Barbara Olson's home
Jewish World Review ^ | 9/14/01 | Bob Tyrell

Posted on 09/14/2001 5:59:55 AM PDT by vrwc54

http://www.jewishworldreview.com -- Now again the civilized world has witnessed the true nature of barbarism; not the Hollywood presentation, but the reality.

Civilization has witnessed it before: the Nazis stomping the unarmed, the Communists pillaging the bourgeoisie, Middle Eastern terrorists slaughtering unarmed Jews and Christians, and in 1993 Americans in their first atrocities at the World Trade Center. And we are witnessing the true nature of the civilized -- first grief, then resolve to extirpate the barbarians.

At the home of the solicitor general of the United States the night of Sept. 11 they grieved with one of the civilized's most noble, Theodore B. Olson, the husband of that other noble soul, Barbara Olson, the author and political commentator who perished with all the other innocents when American Airlines flight 77 plowed into the Pentagon.

The Olsons' friends drifted out to their home unbidden to shoulder his grief. Opening the front door into the vaulted foyer of a country house decorated in Barbara's exquisite taste, we pass the silk flag of the Justice Department standing eight feet tall (Ted has served the department twice). To join the Olsons' friends in the sitting room beyond, we pass through the green lacquered library, full of the hundreds of books the Olsons read, some of which Barbara wrote.

What catches the eye is the framed picture of Barbara, beautiful, blond, and smiling the smile that delighted her friends and intimated to an adversary that, quite possibly, he had just been outsmarted. If eyes were not damp already, they became damp at that spot in the library. I felt a catch in my throat, and in the sitting room beyond, Ted's friends mingled in a sough of grief until they confronted Ted.

"No long faces here," the solicitor general quietly enjoins. I have never known Olson to utter a word that was not wise and prodigiously intelligent. He always strikes the right temperament. And so we try to smile.

Click here to read the rest of the article.

TOPICS: Miscellaneous; News/Current Events
KEYWORDS:
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-27 next last

1 posted on 09/14/2001 5:59:55 AM PDT by vrwc54
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: vrwc54

2 posted on 09/14/2001 6:03:01 AM PDT by Commonsense
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

BUMP**2
3 posted on 09/14/2001 6:03:12 AM PDT by Mike Darancette

Thank you for posting this Bob Tyrell tribute to the Olsons. Barbara and Ted: two GREAT AMERICANS. I grieve for both of them......her death and his emptiness of her vivacious presence. God be with them and all of us.
4 posted on 09/14/2001 6:13:35 AM PDT by Carolinamom

To: Commonsense
Could I have permission to put this graphic on my web site? I would truly appreciate it!
5 posted on 09/14/2001 6:14:08 AM PDT by CELTICGAEL (Celt)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

To: CELTICGAEL (Celt)
Go right ahead. It's on mine too. I even sent it to JimRob to see if he'd like to use it on the opening page during this day of Remembrance.
6 posted on 09/14/2001 6:16:24 AM PDT by Commonsense
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

To: Commonsense
Thank you so much my friend. I truly, truly appreciate it!
7 posted on 09/14/2001 6:24:54 AM PDT by CELTICGAEL (Celt)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 6 | View Replies]

To: CELTICGAEL (Celt)
bump
8 posted on 09/14/2001 6:36:54 AM PDT by BubbaJunebug
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 7 | View Replies]

Ken Starr? The Ken Starr who covered up the murder by bill and hillary clinton of Vince Foster? Add that to the fact that President Bush has invited the profane bill clinton to the memorial service and I don't know if there is any hope for us. bill and hillary clinton are partially responsible for these very terrorist attacks for it is they who coddled the terrorists. Remember the Suha kiss? Remember hillary calling for a palestinian state. Remember bill kissing up to Yassar Arafat? There is something very wrong when good people consort and befriend profane monsters and don't think anything of it.
9 posted on 09/14/2001 6:39:06 AM PDT by Samizdat

Thank you for posting this. Barbara grew up just down the road from me,she returned to visit often. She will be sadly missed.

God Bless America.

10 posted on 09/14/2001 6:45:40 AM PDT by porte des morts

To: Samizdat
Don't forget the Puerto Rican terrorists whose sentences Slick commuted so as to cement the PR vote for Hildebeast. These two will rot in hell.
11 posted on 09/14/2001 6:54:39 AM PDT by SMEDLEYBUTLER
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 9 | View Replies]

To: Carolinamom
Your words mirror what is in my heart.
12 posted on 09/14/2001 6:57:44 AM PDT by Peach
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

To: Yellow Rose of Texas, Alamo-Girl, Bump in the night, 68-69TonkinGulfYatchClub, Frog Mom, KC Burke
*sigh*

Bless them both

13 posted on 09/14/2001 8:06:54 AM PDT by amom

A very moving tribute to one of conservatism's best and brightest - thank you so much for posting it.
14 posted on 09/14/2001 8:18:44 AM PDT by dittomom

To: amom
Thanks for the ping, kid.
15 posted on 09/14/2001 10:50:37 AM PDT by KC Burke
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 13 | View Replies]

To: To All
May God Welcome her home and comfort her husband, family and friends.
16 posted on 09/14/2001 11:28:29 AM PDT by 68-69TonkinGulfYachtClub
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 15 | View Replies]

To: KC Burke
Welcome and a bump for others to see.
17 posted on 09/14/2001 11:43:02 AM PDT by amom
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 15 | View Replies]

Thanks for posting this...they so represent(ed) what we should all aspire to be. BUMP!
18 posted on 09/14/2001 5:49:00 PM PDT by nfldgirl

A very special lady who we just cant stop thinking of.

Mr. Ted Olson, Office of the Solicitor General
950 Pennsylvania Avenue NW,
Washington D.C. 20530-0001.

19 posted on 09/14/2001 5:53:55 PM PDT by Lady GOP

To: Lady GOP
I just heard Ted Olson on Larry King Live give a moving tribute to his wife. Tuesday was his birthday, and when he finally got to bed at 1 a.m., he found an endearing note left on his pillow from Barbara. It was truly heartbreaking.
20 posted on 09/14/2001 7:02:35 PM PDT by vrwc54
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 19 | View Replies]

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-27 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson