Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Meehan, Neal raise doubts on leadership of president
BOSTON GLOBE ^ | Sept. 14th | Adrew Miga

Posted on 09/14/2001 7:28:59 AM PDT by T-Daddy

Meehan, Neal raise doubts on leadership of president by Andrew Miga Friday, September 14, 2001 WASHINGTON - Two prominent Bay State Democrats questioned President Bush's leadership style yesterday, cracking the veneer of bipartisan unity Congress has shown in the wake of the twin terrorist attacks. ``It's not a question of what he's saying,'' said U.S. Rep. Richard Neal (D-Springfield). ``The content is fine. But the blandness with which it is delivered has caused considerable reaction.'' U.S. Rep. Martin T. Meehan (D-Lowell) scoffed at reports Air Force One was targeted by terrorists - the reason Bush aides have put forth to explain why the president delayed his return to Washington after Tuesday's attack on the Pentagon. ``I don't buy the notion Air Force One was a target,'' said Meehan. ``That's just PR. That's just spin.'' The Bush White House has been on the defensive as pundits and some lawmakers have suggested the president backed down in the face of terrorist threats this week. Bush has been under fire for not returning to Washington more quickly after Tuesday's attacks to take control of the situation and reassure a jittery public. Some pundits have suggested his detour to safe military bases in Louisiana and Nebraska sent a message of weakness. The president's father angrily defended his son during an appearance before energy industry officials in Boston. ``I am annoyed with those who criticized him for not returning to Washington right away,'' said the elder Bush. ``I know George is strong. ``I know that he has a fantastic national security team around him. I know that, in reaching out to the Congress as we're seeing now, and reaching out to our friends and allies and others around the world, he's doing the right thing,'' the president's father said. But both Neal and Meehan noted that Bush's performance thus far has paled in comparison to the effective mix of leadership and verve shown by New York City Mayor Rudolph W. Giuliani during the latest crisis. Giuliani has managed to convey both reassurance and forcefulness, using numerous public appearances to convince the public that despite the tragedy, officials are in control and handling the problem in an effective manner. ``Giuliani has been outstanding,'' said Meehan. ``Every elected mayor and governor in the nation could learn a lot from Giuliani.'' Meehan, who stressed he did not want to sharply criticize Bush given the current crisis, noted that Bush is relatively inexperienced as president, having been in office less than a year. ``He's a new president and he doesn't have the experience that Bill Clinton had,'' said Meehan. ``Under the circumstances he's done pretty well.'' Neal said several Democratic colleagues agree with his assessment that Bush must show a more forceful, vigorous style as he seeks to rally the nation behind him for what many expect will be a long, intense fight against terrorists. ``In politics you have to use imagery to send a message to people,'' said Neal. ``Leadership delineates the difference between a town manager and a president. A president should know how to use imagery, symbolism to lead.'' Neal recalled that former President Clinton had one of the most memorable days of his presidency shortly after the brutal Oklahoma City bombings. Clinton, obviously moved by the massive human suffering, delivered an emotional speech that sought to ease the pain as well as inspire. ``If President Clinton had a better moment than he did in that hangar in Oklahoma City, I never saw it,'' said Neal. ``He lifted the spirits of an entire nation that day. That's what a president does. He provides comfort. And he finds a way to inspire people, to lift them up as well.'' Neal said despite his criticism, he is reserving final judgment on Bush: ``It's a bit early to make a judgment here.''

TOPICS: Activism/Chapters; News/Current Events
KEYWORDS:
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-30 next last
Maybe one of you guys already posted this, but I'm posting it because I'm so f'n fired up about it. I am sickened that these two BACKBENCHER Congressmen with absolutely ZERO clout from a communist state would say things like this only a few days after the incident, and at the beginning of US military action. Please call/email their offices to express your anger. Pass it to your friends: Congressman Richard Neil: 202-225-5601 www.house.gov/neal Congressman Marty Meehan: 202-225-3411 www.house.gov/meehan Just as an fyi, I never post articles, but I read FR all the time. I want to unleash the hounds on these a-holes. T-Daddy
1 posted on 09/14/2001 7:28:59 AM PDT by T-Daddy
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: T-Daddy
I am furious about this. The phone lines to the offices of the two A-holes are jammed. The job of the president is not to inspire and cry with the masses. It is to defend the republic.
2 posted on 09/14/2001 7:45:17 AM PDT by LarryM
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: T-Daddy, JulieRNR21, Old Friend, Teacup, Howlin, Mombonn
I hope the busy signal I've been hearing is due to angry callers expressing outrage over his partisan rhetoric.
3 posted on 09/14/2001 7:48:34 AM PDT by StarFan

In my book, these hacks are neither Patriots or Americans. Nothing a good old fashioned tar, and feathering wouldn't fix.
4 posted on 09/14/2001 7:50:59 AM PDT by sockmonkey

To: StarFan
I noticed Drudge posted Meehan's phone number on his web site. I think the secretaries of these two gentlemen are going to have a busy busy day...
5 posted on 09/14/2001 7:52:51 AM PDT by white rose
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

To: white rose
Went over to his website to see if I could find a fax number. Look at what appears in large print (the hypocrite)

"I fully support the President during this difficult crisis. I have full confidence in his ability to lead us.

It is important that our nation speaks with one voice. All of us need to work together to fight our common enemy, the cowards who carried out these unspeakable acts. Along with all my colleagues in the House, I have put partisan differences aside".

6 posted on 09/14/2001 7:55:49 AM PDT by StarFan
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

To: white rose, sockmonkey, T-Daddy, JulieRNR21, Old Friend, Teacup, Howlin, Mombonn, LarryM
E-mail (found on Google)

martin.meehan@mail.house.gov

FReepers,
FIRE AWAY!!!

7 posted on 09/14/2001 7:56:36 AM PDT by Constitution Day
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

His fax number is (202) 226-0771.
8 posted on 09/14/2001 7:57:40 AM PDT by StarFan
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 6 | View Replies]

This was in the Boston Herald, not the Globe

Meehan, Neal raise doubts on leadership of president

9 posted on 09/14/2001 7:58:27 AM PDT by SJackson

Comment #10 Removed by Moderator

Meehan & Neal are, or should be, political toast.

It depends on how cravenly STUPID their constituents are... Evidently, they are pretty stupid as a group. But even their voters many have the semblance of a brain.

11 posted on 09/14/2001 8:04:58 AM PDT by FReethesheeples

It depends on how cravenly STUPID their constituents are... Evidently, they are pretty stupid as a group. But even their voters many have the semblance of a brain.

12 posted on 09/14/2001 8:05:34 AM PDT by FReethesheeples

13 posted on 09/14/2001 8:05:45 AM PDT by FReethesheeples

Why, that miserable, stinking hypocrite! He doesn't even have the courage of his own rotten, idiotic convictions, does he?
14 posted on 09/14/2001 8:06:11 AM PDT by white rose
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 6 | View Replies]

And thanks for the fax number. I think I'll use it right now to wish him a good morning...
15 posted on 09/14/2001 8:08:27 AM PDT by white rose
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8 | View Replies]

To: Constitution Day
My e-mail to Meehan:

You obviously prefer lip-biting, faked tears, smarmy pseudo-sincerity, and articulate lies.

You are a worm.

16 posted on 09/14/2001 8:10:23 AM PDT by lady lawyer
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 7 | View Replies]

Even his fax is busy but let that not deter us. As a New Yorker, I am outraged by his partisan rhetoric when all about us is in complete chaos. I suggested he take the lead of those who represent my state (both republican and dem) and speak with one voice even though the task may be difficult for one lacking leadership and maturity.
17 posted on 09/14/2001 8:14:42 AM PDT by StarFan
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 15 | View Replies]

Even his fax is busy but let that not deter us. As a New Yorker, I am outraged by his partisan rhetoric when all about us is in complete chaos. I suggested he take the lead of those who represent my state (both republican and dem) and speak with one voice even though the task may be difficult for one lacking leadership and maturity.
18 posted on 09/14/2001 8:14:50 AM PDT by StarFan
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 15 | View Replies]

Comment #19 Removed by Moderator

To: Constitution Day, StarFan
Thanks for the heads up, and email addy. Here's my note to the slimeball. I'll try phoning my regards as well.

"Words cannot express my outrage.I am CERTAINLY glad I do not live in Massachusetts. Calling our President a LIAR in the face of the worst terrorist attack in the history of the word is the action of a PARTISAN COWARD.

I don't think the fighter planes guarding him as he left FL were there to enhance the "spin."

I will be sending money to whomever challenges you for your seat in Congress. Anyone who votes for you is a coward as well.

May you be run out of Congress tomorrow, if not the country."

20 posted on 09/14/2001 8:30:04 AM PDT by mombonn
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 7 | View Replies]

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-30 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson