Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

An Afghan-American's perspective
Office e-mail | 9/15/01 | Tamim Ansary

Posted on 09/14/2001 10:18:48 AM PDT by nina0113

Note from Nina: There was a chain of e-mail addresses, ending up at our law firm

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Thursday, September 13, 2001 11:59 PM

Subject: A view from Afghanistan

FYI -- I got this from a Boalt professor. I thought it was important to think about.

Dear Friends, The following was sent to me by my friend Tamim Ansary. Tamim is an Afghani-American writer. He is also one of the most brilliant people I know in this life. When he writes, I read. When he talks, I listen. Here is his take on Afghanistan and the whole mess we are in. -Gary T.

Dear Gary and whoever else is on this email thread:

I've been hearing a lot of talk about "bombing Afghanistan back to the Stone Age." Ronn Owens, on KGO Talk Radio today, allowed that this would mean killing innocent people, people who had nothing to do with this atrocity, but "we're at war, we have to accept collateral damage. What else can we do?" Minutes later I heard some TV pundit discussing whether we "have the belly to do what must be done."

And I thought about the issues being raised especially hard because I am from Afghanistan, and even though I've lived here for 35 years I've never lost track of what's going on there. So I want to tell anyone who will listen how it all looks from where I'm standing.

I speak as one who hates the Taliban and Osama Bin Laden. There is no doubt in my mind that these people were responsible for the atrocity in New York. I agree that something must be done about those monsters.

But the Taliban and Ben Laden are not Afghanistan. They're not even the government of Afghanistan. The Taliban are a cult of ignorant psychotics who took over Afghanistan in 1997. Bin Laden is a political criminal with a plan. When you think Taliban, think Nazis. When you think Bin Laden, think Hitler. And when you think "the people of Afghanistan" think "the Jews in the concentration camps." It's not only that the Afghan people had nothing to do with this atrocity. They were the first victims of the perpetrators. They would exult if someone would come in there, take out the Taliban and clear out the rats nest of international thugs holed up in their country.

Some say, why don't the Afghans rise up and overthrow the Taliban? The answer is, they're starved, exhausted, hurt, incapacitated, suffering. A few years ago, the United Nations estimated that there are 500,000 disabled orphans in Afghanistan--a country with no economy, no food. There are millions of widows. And the Taliban has been burying these widows alive in mass graves. The soil is littered with land mines, the farms were all destroyed by the Soviets. These are a few of the reasons why the Afghan people have not overthrown the Taliban.

We come now to the question of bombing Afghanistan back to the Stone Age. Trouble is, that's been done. The Soviets took care of it already. Make the Afghans suffer? They're already suffering. Level their houses? Done. Turn their schools into piles of rubble? Done. Eradicate their hospitals? Done. Destroy their infrastructure? Cut them off from medicine and health care? Too late. Someone already did all that.

New bombs would only stir the rubble of earlier bombs. Would they at least get the Taliban? Not likely. In today's Afghanistan, only the Taliban eat, only they have the means to move around. They'd slip away and hide. Maybe the bombs would get some of those disabled orphans, they don't move too fast, they don't even have wheelchairs. But flying over Kabul and dropping bombs wouldn't really be a strike against the criminals who did this horrific thing. Actually it would only be making common cause with the Taliban--by raping once again the people they've been raping all this time.

So what else is there? What can be done, then? Let me now speak with true fear and trembling. The only way to get Bin Laden is to go in there with ground troops. When people speak of "having the belly to do what needs to be done" they're thinking in terms of having the belly to kill as many as needed. Having the belly to overcome any moral qualms about killing innocent people. Let's pull our heads out of the sand. What's actually on the table is Americans dying. And not just because some Americans would die fighting their way through Afghanistan to Bin Laden's hideout. It's much bigger than that folks. Because to get any troops to Afghanistan, we'd have to go through Pakistan. Would they let us? Not likely. The conquest of Pakistan would have to be first. Will other Muslim nations just stand by? You see where I'm going. We're flirting with a world war between Islam and the West.

And guess what: that's Bin Laden's program. That's exactly what he wants. That's why he did this. Read his speeches and statements. It's all right there. He really believes Islam would beat the west. It might seem ridiculous, but he figures if he can polarize the world into Islam and the West, he's got a billion soldiers. If the west wreaks a holocaust in those lands, that's a billion people with nothing left to lose, that's even better from Bin Laden's point of view. He's probably wrong, in the end the west would win, whatever that would mean, but the war would last for years and millions would die, not just theirs but ours. Who has the belly for that? Bin Laden does. Anyone else?

Tamim Ansary

TOPICS: Miscellaneous; News/Current Events
KEYWORDS:
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-6061-80 ... 121-134 next last
This is the first article I've ever posted so I'm not sure if I'm doing it right.
1 posted on 09/14/2001 10:18:48 AM PDT by nina0113
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: nina0113
You did. Good article. But if the Afghan people are suffering, won't that make our job easier?
2 posted on 09/14/2001 10:22:11 AM PDT by parsifal
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

You did just fine on your first post.

As to the content, I think it is largely right on, with this exception.

If the US plays its cards right, and the early signs are we may, we could come in through a friendly Pakistan, with the Pakistani army. If so, this would be the first successful battle in a campaign to cripple the Jihad/Islamist war on civilization. It would cost blood and treasure, but it may be, I believe it is, time to begin it.

Enough talk of "retaliation" and "crimes" and "accountability" and "revenge."

All that talk is weak, reactionary, and fundamentally defensive.

If we have the will and the might, we should start strategic offensives to shrink this evil to the vanishing point.

Richard F.

3 posted on 09/14/2001 10:28:20 AM PDT by rdf

Thank you for this post. It should give us all pause. We have the bloodlust now, but let us first think about whom we are going to extract it from before we continue the bloodletting.
4 posted on 09/14/2001 10:29:15 AM PDT by Paradox

Yes, just right. Thanks for posting it. I too have an Afghani-American friend. The proudest day of her life is when she became an American citizen. We had a big celebration that day.

She abhors the Islamic Jihad and has taught me that Islam does not condone murder or hate. These people are being led by the devil and don't know it

5 posted on 09/14/2001 10:29:44 AM PDT by katnip

To: parsifal
There should be plenty of Afghans willing to help us destroy the Taliban and Bin Laden then. If as Muslims say these people pervert Islam then it is time for the Jihad to turn towards them, not towards the West.
6 posted on 09/14/2001 10:31:28 AM PDT by JMS
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

Thanks for the post...it is good for us to consider the people there - not to prevent us from action, but rather to help us take the best action. Some of those people are going to die most likely but the fewer, the better. There is no justice in revenge on the wrong person.

Ground troops is a tough choice to make, but I believe it is better than bombs. The soviet experience makes that option so much more difficult to make.

Gum

7 posted on 09/14/2001 10:31:49 AM PDT by ChewedGum

The author of this article is probably right about what would be required to get rid of the Taliban.

Before we invade with ground tropps, however, it might be wise to examine the history of previous attempts to conquer Afghanistan. Specifically, the Russian attempt of the late 20th century, and various British attempts during the 19th should be studied carefully.

If there was ever a people and terrain designed for guerrilla warfare, it is Afghanistan. There is no question the US has the potential power to conquer the place. I strongly doubt we would have the ongoing will to do what would be necessary to accomplish this.

A far more likely scenario is massive assistance to political opponents of the Taliban. The same applies to opponents of their supporters in Pakistan.

8 posted on 09/14/2001 10:32:34 AM PDT by Restorer

I agree, ground troops are necessary. Americans must die to protect the American way of life, the American dream.

Watch the NATO allies run for cover when they realize this is necessary.They're already trying to soften talk of war.

9 posted on 09/14/2001 10:36:21 AM PDT by ARCADIA

I agree, ground troops are necessary. Americans must die to protect the American way of life, the American dream.

Watch the NATO allies run for cover when they realize this is necessary.They're already trying to soften talk of war.

10 posted on 09/14/2001 10:36:30 AM PDT by ARCADIA

When you think Taliban, think Nazis. When you think Bin Laden, think Hitler.

Well, yeah. Good analogy. But not exactly the analogy he seems to think it is.

What precisely does this guy think happened in World War II? Does he think we did surgical strikes against centers of Nazi activity and left the German people alone?

The sins of the state, elected or unelected, loved or hated, fall upon the heads of the people.

11 posted on 09/14/2001 10:40:39 AM PDT by BurkeanCyclist

To: parsifal
You did. Good article. But if the Afghan people are suffering, won't that make our job easier?

Why not support the opposition (hopefully Masood is still alive) with food, ammunition and training?  At the same time, we move to help isolate the Taliban internationally.  At least it is a good start, and I'm sure that the Russians would be eager to help us there.
12 posted on 09/14/2001 10:41:17 AM PDT by Frumious Bandersnatch
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

To: Restorer
A far more likely scenario is massive assistance to political opponents of the Taliban. The same applies to opponents of their supporters in Pakistan.

You got all that right. The second-favorite sport in Afghanistan is shooting at each other. The favorite sport is shooting at invaders. If we invade or attack Afghanistan, we unify the tribes in that country. It is better to work to destabilize the Taliban.

Fighting this war by conventional means would be like wrestling smoke. We need to first secure our own country - these terrorists did not come from the Bekaa valley, they were here for months going to pilot school. We need to investigate EVERY immigrant from the Middle East over the last five years and boot out any one that has any ties to terrorism. Second, we need to cut off the money for terrorism - we need to go to countries with bank secrecy and tell them that a country that harbors the money of terrorists is just as culpable as a country that harbors terrorists themselves. THEN we move against the governments that harbor terrorists and the LEADERS of the terrorists. If we kill a thousand mujadeen, there will be three thousand new recruits the next day. We have to find the heads of this beast AND KILL THEM. But widespread, undisciplined violence against the peoples of the Middle East will only make matters worse.

13 posted on 09/14/2001 10:41:22 AM PDT by dirtboy
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8 | View Replies]

To: ARCADIA
I agree, ground troops are necessary.

Not in Afghanistan. Invading that country would only unify the tribes with the Taliban. Best to work to destablize the Taliban with assistance to other groups. Get the Russians involved - they're experts at this game.

14 posted on 09/14/2001 10:43:18 AM PDT by dirtboy
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 10 | View Replies]

You friend seems to be a very reasonable person. But at the same time, we have the right to defend ourselves. If exercising that right forces Islamic countries to decide which side they are on and they choose the wrong side so be it.

He says we will lose millions in such a war. I don't think so. But I think if we wait 10 years then we could lose millions in one day in such a war.

It's time to eliminate this scourge. No matter what the cost. And yes indeed it means ground troops in Afghanistan to free that country. And if that means going through a hostile Pakistan then we will have to do that first. I am sure that India will help in that theater and they have plenty of people themselves!

If Saudi Arabia chooses to side with the barbarians (which I seriously doubt) then it would require seizing and holding the oil fields. We can do that in short order I suspect. Holding them would not be that hard.

I don't want any war with Islamic countries. I am proud of how we stood side by side with Saudi Arabia in the Gulf War. I am glad of how we and the UAE and Kuwait and Bahrain all were arm in arm. I like them. But we have a job to do and they must choose sides. I hope its the right choice.
15 posted on 09/14/2001 10:45:11 AM PDT by Arkinsaw

To: Restorer
Before we invade with ground tropps, however, it might be wise to examine the history of previous attempts to conquer Afghanistan.

But we don't want to conquer Afghanistan. Our goal should be neither to rule Afghanistan ourselves, nor to install a friendly government, but simply to kill as many Taliban members and terrorists as possible, and smash as much stuff as possible, then leave the place to burn.

16 posted on 09/14/2001 10:45:41 AM PDT by BurkeanCyclist
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8 | View Replies]

To: Frumious Bandersnatch
I think a bunch of the more moderate Arabs would love to get rid of the extremists. We should make them an offer they can't refuse
17 posted on 09/14/2001 10:47:04 AM PDT by parsifal
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 12 | View Replies]

Good post... I need alot of edukatin' on this middle-east.
18 posted on 09/14/2001 10:47:06 AM PDT by ricer1

The unfortunate reality is that Bin Laden is going to get what he wants. I see no resolution other than this becoming a religous war, which is a very dangerous thing.
19 posted on 09/14/2001 10:47:34 AM PDT by ContemptofCourt

To: Paradox
I don't think the issue is blood lust. I have no blood lust. What I do have is a desire to ensure to the best of our abilities that this type of action never occurs again. How do we do that? There is no solution that is 100% perfect, but we can destroy ALL known terrorist organizations. We can declare war on any country that aids and abets these terrorist. This will be costly, both in monetary terms and in terms of lost lives. If we fail to do this we surely invite more attacks. I shudder to think that ten years from now, when a nuclear bomb is detonated in an American city, we will wonder how it could have happend. We know in our hearts and minds that it will happen, we must work to ensure it never does.
20 posted on 09/14/2001 10:48:17 AM PDT by The Vast Right Wing
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-6061-80 ... 121-134 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson