Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

A Letter from my Father-in-law
email

Posted on 09/14/2001 11:39:03 AM PDT by Dr. Thorne

This letter was sent to a friend by my father-in-law. It deserves reading. - Dr. Thorne

John, it's going to take more than "iron bombs and cruise missles". I think this is a product of a systematic softening of the American will. We've neutralized all the core beliefs that made this country great. We have to stop treating "symptoms" and start fixing the "causes". I remain stunned.

I heard Doris Kearns Goodwin interviewed this morning...she's a White House historian. When asked if this was viewed on a scale with Pearl Harbor, she stated (paraphrased) that this exceeds that of Pearl Harbor. Pearl was a military strike, at mostly military targets, albeit heinous in nature. This was a strike at everyday America, people going to work, sightseeing, grabbing a cup of coffee, comfortable in knowing they were living in a safe, free and powerful country. She likened this experience to that of the Brits during the blitz, where for some 50 nights, Britain endured the horrible bombardments. We have been, until Tuesday, spared that horror. We are different by an incalculable measure, this day, than we were before the events.

I don't know, John, if this is going to be the "wakeup call" we need. Maybe I grow more cynical as I age (60 this month) but I really feel our sense of purpose, our resolve, our national spirit has been dulled to the point of indifference...."this-too-shall-pass" mentality, molded by countless subtle/not-so-subtle changes in our character.

As a society, we no longer regard life as sacred (abortions);
we do not allow prayer in our schools;
our idols are not wholesome examples of what we would like our kids or our grandkids to become;
our neighborhoods do not ring out with youthful laughter and games of tag, because everyone is inside, in front of a big screen something, absorbing mind dulling mush that enables us to endure more of the very realistic horror that occurred Tuesday;
we no longer elect statesmen to serve and protect this great treasure, America;
instead we elect immoral, pompous, preening sycophants who are more concerned with image, than with character...more driven by style than by substance...more obsessed by power than by prudence...and absorbed in self-gratification versus unselfish giving.

Courage has been exchanged for charisma and conviction has been forfeited in favor of political correctness. One of our great freedoms is to move about, at will. Our quiet skies for two days, this week, really hit home. First time in my life I didn't hear/see an airplane in the overhead sky.

We have reaped countless blessings in our lives....our kids, their kids, our friends, our relatives, our health, our prosperity and I can go on and on. But perhaps the greatest blessing is to live in a free America. I, like many, have served my country in the Armed Forces. But it shouldn't end there and I'm afraid, speaking for myself, that I may not have done enough.

How could I allow the Madeline Murray O'Hares, the Roe vs. Wade's, the partial birth abortions, the Clinton era, the assassination of JFK and MLK, the unfettered taxation of my own earnings and possibly generations of my own progeny, the displacement of virtue and morality by immoral agendas, the safety of unlocked doors, holiday celebrations, safe classrooms, true care and respect for our elders, MFN trading status to two of our greatest enemies, and on and on....

Yesterday, I visited Gabriella, our newly born granddaughter. She was born, prematurely, but is doing fine. Like all babies, she struggles to get all of her "systems online", but is doing well. Holding her in my arms was a most rejuvenating experience. We've all taken quite an emotional "hit" with the events this week. Looking into that childs face brought everything into clear focus for me. This is what its all about. Do not take the smallest of lives for granted. These are our earthly treasures. When we stop caring about what's important, we forfeit all that is great and good.

Lori was there, with me. I looked at my "little girl" in a much different way...a caring, loving, concerned mother that had only one priority...the life she brought into this world. I want to freeze that moment in perpetuity. We're all searching for eloquence, profundity, answers, hope....and the solution is found in the circle of life.

As I left my car and the incessant updates, reports on destruction, "body counts", 'America Held Hostage' rhetoric, I was filled with rage and unfocused hatred. As I entered the hospital, passing many nationalities, I was, immediately, uneasy...."Is our grandbaby safe here?". "These are not our people". Grandparent paranoia, I guess.

However, I was soon to re-learn a very important lesson...when one is holding a new life in their arms, it is impossible to feel hatred...one can only feel love...and I did.

I guess your note triggered a lot that has been bottled up in me this terrible week. Lucky you, huh? I think my exposure, like yours, to corporate culture has led me in directions of global solutions, universal "fixes" and broadband actions and this has transcended the day-to-day basics of life.

The obvious "cure" for what we've witnessed is to start on the homefront, something I could have done a much better job of in my life. Once that's secured, all energy can be directed to the threats to the sanctity of this great Nation.

I received a note from a friend and colleague in Europe, expressing concern for America. I received a note from my college roomate whose son was a Navy pilot and is now a Delta captain. We've (online community) all received countless e-mails, assessments, prayers, tributes, etc., all focused on the horrible events of this week. The underlying, common theme - "take care of the injured, recover the lost, rebuild, and go forward". This is a worthy theme. In the course of doing all of that, we must support our President (thank God, we've got one with character and dignity) as he makes very difficult decisions to ensure, not only retribution, but the security of this great Nation.

Lastly, but most importantly, we must regain our fear of God, shame, and conscience. We are living in a much different time now. The war we need to wage is the war on indifference. We cannot tolerate the continued dismantling of our national resolve and spirit.

Keep our military guys in your prayers. I remain very proud of those guys. Thanks, John, for this venting experience. Hope all is going well your way. I'll close with a great link that I encourage you to look at. Best to Dorothy and kids. God bless America.....Terry

Interview with God

TOPICS: Miscellaneous; Your Opinion/Questions
KEYWORDS:
Terry is my father-in-law. Gabriella is my daughter. I am proud of my two brothers-in-law who are currently serving our nation in military service.
1 posted on 09/14/2001 11:39:03 AM PDT by Dr. Thorne
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: Dr. Thorne
Pearl was a military strike, at mostly military targets, albeit heinous in nature.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong,I believe the total of casualties at Pearl Harbor was about 2400 of which 50 were civilians. This will be much worse and I hope to he!! we respond with that in mind!

2 posted on 09/14/2001 11:47:28 AM PDT by mdittmar
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: Bryan, Luis Gonzalez, edreform, harpseal, inspector Harry Callahan, Jeff Head, rboatman
FYI
3 posted on 09/14/2001 12:14:49 PM PDT by MooCollins

Awesome. Thanks so much for sharing a private letter with us.

The call to my heart is also not to be indifferent any more - not as a Christian, not as a father, not as a husband, not as an American, and not as a man. May the Lord forgive me that it took this event to wake me up. God Bless you and yours.

4 posted on 09/14/2001 12:34:48 PM PDT by Ted

The wisdom of our elders. This is the first wakeup call. If America does not return to God, there will be many more. A Father has to spank till you cry out, or the spanking is in vain. The two greatist symbols that America has put before God were hit. We trust in our wealth, and our power. The world trade center was hit, and the Pentagon. Do not forget Islam has nukes too.

We won so incredibly against Sadam not because of our great power but because Sadam announced to the world that the "mother of all battles" would show the world whos God was more powerful, Islam or the Christian God. Did we all forget that? Shame on us, we won not because of our wisdom, but because of the stupidity of our enemy in mocking God.

5 posted on 09/14/2001 2:37:15 PM PDT by American in Israel

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson