Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Peter Jennings, Mike Wallace:Top Clymer Awards
mediawatch.com | 09/14/01 | JimVT

Posted on 09/14/2001 2:28:11 PM PDT by JimVT

Jennings and Wallace spelled out their liberal philosophy ten years ago.

TOPICS: Miscellaneous
KEYWORDS:
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-45 next last
I was just trying to determine whether Peter Jennings ever became an American citizen by searching Google when I came up with the following:

From the April 1989 MediaWatch

Page One

Peter Jennings and Mike Wallace Agree

Reporters First, Americans Second

In a future war involving U.S. soldiers what would a TV reporter do if he learned the enemy troops with which he was traveling were about to launch a surprise attack on an American unit? That's just the question Harvard University professor Charles Ogletree Jr, as moderator of PBS' Ethics in America series, posed to ABC anchor Peter Jennings and 60 Minutes correspondent Mike Wallace. Both agreed getting ambush footage for the evening news would come before warning the U.S. troops.

For the March 7 installment on battlefield ethics Ogletree set up a theoretical war between the North Kosanese and the U.S.-supported South Kosanese. At first Jennings responded: "If I was with a North Kosanese unit that came upon Americans, I think I personally would do what I could to warn the Americans."

Wallace countered that other reporters, including himself, "would regard it simply as another story that they are there to cover." Jennings' position bewildered Wallace: "I'm a little bit of a loss to understand why, because you are an American, you would not have covered that story."

"Don't you have a higher duty as an American citizen to do all you can to save the lives of soldiers rather than this journalistic ethic of reporting fact?" Ogletree asked. Without hesitating Wallace responded: "No, you don't have higher duty... you're a reporter." This convinces Jennings, who concedes, "I think he's right too, I chickened out."

Ogletree turns to Brent Scrowcroft, now the National Security Adviser, who argues "you're Americans first, and you're journalists second." Wallace is mystified by the concept, wondering "what in the world is wrong with photographing this attack by North Kosanese on American soldiers?" Retired General William Westmoreland then points out that "it would be repugnant to the American listening public to see on film an ambush of an American platoon by our national enemy."

A few minutes later Ogletree notes the "venomous reaction" from George Connell, a Marine Corps Colonel. "I feel utter contempt. Two days later they're both walking off my hilltop, they're two hundred yards away and they get ambushed. And they're lying there wounded. And they're going to expect I'm going to send Marines up there to get them. They're just journalists, they're not Americans."

Wallace and Jennings agree, "it's a fair reaction." The discussion concludes as Connell says: "But I'll do it. And that's what makes me so contemptuous of them. And Marines will die, going to get a couple of journalists."

1989 Archive Home MediaWatch Archive

I still don't know if he (Jennings) is a citizen...and if not, why not?

If we can spend billions trying to get bin Laden out of our lives....how 'bout a campaign to return Jennings to Canada..........provided they would take him back!!!!

1 posted on 09/14/2001 2:28:11 PM PDT by JimVT
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: JimVT
I am so angry my fingers are shaking. Just before he signed off this afternoon, Brokaw AGAIN referred to GWB as 'PRESIDENT CLINTON'!!!!!. Do you think for one minute that he would have been calling Clinton 'President Bush' 8 months after Clinton took office. I don't THEEENK so!!!!!!
2 posted on 09/14/2001 2:32:56 PM PDT by SmartBlonde
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

We don't want him, we've got enough of those up here. Thanks anyway.
3 posted on 09/14/2001 2:39:14 PM PDT by Argh

To: Argh
I E-mailed this tto ABC this morning:... Peter Jennings is the worst Newsman on TV. I will never watch ABC news again because:.... Two nights ago he was absolving all the arab states of any blame. He went down every arab country and gave reasons why they were not involved. He can't possibly know this. its just his opinion, not news. Last night, he said: "If you can call it that" when recalling his interview with Orin Hatch. Hatch was blaming the Taliban outright. Also, he said the phrase in a very derisive way. These are just two examples, there are many more. Play your tapes, listen to him. You will turn him off too.
4 posted on 09/14/2001 2:45:03 PM PDT by Tripleplay
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

PS..How do you format a paragraph?
5 posted on 09/14/2001 2:46:10 PM PDT by Tripleplay

To: SmartBlonde
I saw it, too. Did you see him correct himself and then say something like "uh, I must have been thinking of , uh...." and then totally lose it? I mean he just rambled off like he's senile.
6 posted on 09/14/2001 2:48:28 PM PDT by techcor
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

Is this a surprise to anyone? These people do not consider themselves anything other than a country unto themselves. They are not real Americans.
7 posted on 09/14/2001 2:55:35 PM PDT by isthisnickcool

To: Tripleplay
Go here for basic HTML and links. To start a new paragraph, use "p" without the quotation marks surrounded by 2 pointy brackets (<>). If I do it here, it will format. To start a new line, "br" without the quotation marks surrounded by 2 pointy brackets (<>). Always check your preview to see if things worked OK.
8 posted on 09/14/2001 2:55:53 PM PDT by Argh
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

See! I knew you wouldn't take him back.
9 posted on 09/14/2001 2:56:28 PM PDT by JimVT

lol, right above your preview it shows you. &LTP&GT is a paragraph break.
10 posted on 09/14/2001 2:57:45 PM PDT by Sir Gawain
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

That's just the question Harvard University professor Charles Ogletree Jr, as moderator of PBS' Ethics in America series, posed to ABC anchor Peter Jennings and 60 Minutes correspondent Mike Wallace. Both agreed getting ambush footage for the evening news would come before warning the U.S. troops.

I remember watching that on PBS.

Jennings has been horrible in his handling of our national crisis. He referred to the second tower crumbling as a "peeling banana," and then said, "oh, but there's people in there." Absolutely unfeeling, this man. And he doesn't seem to really appreciate America or the crisis we're in.
11 posted on 09/14/2001 3:02:06 PM PDT by Gelato

So many bumps-for-later; so little time....
12 posted on 09/14/2001 3:03:30 PM PDT by toenail

Sometimes the idea of state run media doesn't seem so bad...
13 posted on 09/14/2001 3:06:12 PM PDT by drew

To: toenail
Fox. Bret, O'Reilly, don't watch the others, even if you have to by a damned dish. Do not watch them. Do not go there. Do not help their ratings. Hammer them with emails when you see stories like this in the news. Run the commies out. Where's Joe when you need him?
14 posted on 09/14/2001 3:10:45 PM PDT by RetiredArmy
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 12 | View Replies]

Anti-US is ABC policy. I saw a Nightline piece, put together with great production values, blame US for somehow being the causal agent in having nutcases drive two jets into the WTC.

ABCNews is a perverse hellhole of self-destruction.

15 posted on 09/14/2001 3:13:14 PM PDT by Benrand
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

To: RetiredArmy
At work, the only channel our little rabbit ears can pick up is ABC. I miss Fox News. Can't wait to get home to watch real reporting.....
16 posted on 09/14/2001 3:14:25 PM PDT by toenail
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 14 | View Replies]

Don't forget the publisher of the NY Times:

Quote:

At one level, it's easy enough to explain the liberal bias on controversial social issues now dominant at the Times. It's all part of a deliberate decision to make the Times a vehicle for (rather than a record of) social change, a policy instituted by the Times's new publisher, Arthur "Pinch" Sulzberger Jr. Pinch was a sixties anti-war activist who famously declared that in a confrontation between an American and a North Vietnamese soldier he'd want to see the American get shot.

Unquote.

Stanley Kurtz (NRO on line, June 5, 2001)

17 posted on 09/14/2001 3:26:21 PM PDT by aculeus

Thanks

Thanks again

18 posted on 09/14/2001 4:18:23 PM PDT by Tripleplay
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8 | View Replies]

To: aculeus
"Hello....I'd like to start receiving the Sunday New York Times."

Can you believe it?

19 posted on 09/14/2001 6:57:51 PM PDT by JimVT
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 17 | View Replies]

Oh, the Golden Clymer awards celebration.
20 posted on 09/14/2001 6:59:55 PM PDT by BunnySlippers

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-45 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson