Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Did bin Laden short stocks? [my headline]
UPI no url | 9/14/01

Posted on 09/14/2001 8:05:05 PM PDT by NativeNewYorker

WASHINGTON, Sept 14 (UPI) -- U.S. and British intelligence agencies are investigating links between alleged terrorist mastermind Osama bin Laden and various stock trades in the United States and Europe around the time of Tuesday's devastating attacks on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon, which sent foreign markets into tailspins over worries about the U.S. economy, according to the Sankei Shimbun newspaper in Japan.

Among other things, under a practice know as short selling, a person with prior information can score large profits when a stock sinks in value on certain news -- such as corporate problems, or in this case, the more broader news of an attack which has worked to economically hobble the United States.

The attacks halted trading on the U.S. markets before the opening bell, but authorities are looking into trades before the official opening of stock futures.

There are also unconfirmed reports of Japanese authorities looking into similar securities transactions.

The U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission declined to "confirm or deny" any such investigations by U.S. financial authorities, but a spokesman added that the agency has received a variety of investor e-mail "suggesting that the SEC check records" on stock transactions around the time of the attacks to establish any possible linkage to profiteering by persons related to the terrorists.

TOPICS: Crime/Corruption; News/Current Events
KEYWORDS:
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-25 next last

1 posted on 09/14/2001 8:05:05 PM PDT by NativeNewYorker
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: NativeNewYorker
What are they gonna do? Bust him for insider trading?
2 posted on 09/14/2001 8:08:38 PM PDT by 11th Earl of Mar
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

Thank you for the great post. This could be a real piece of evidence against the perp.
3 posted on 09/14/2001 8:09:53 PM PDT by Clinton's a liar

To: 11th Earl of Mar
Actually, this could be a real piece of evidence pointing to prior knowledge of the attack. It could be very important to coalition building.
4 posted on 09/14/2001 8:11:15 PM PDT by Clinton's a liar
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

To: Clinton's a liar
If this is true, we should all buy tons of stocks on Monday so Osami loses his shirt (or rag).
5 posted on 09/14/2001 8:11:27 PM PDT by Crispy
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

They CAN take all his money. This makes it that much easier to find.

6 posted on 09/14/2001 8:13:55 PM PDT by xm177e2

Very interesting, the ascetic, anti-capitalist, anti-materialist Bin Laden is short selling stocks, while his ascetic, puritan, suicide hijacker-bombers are getting lap-dances at an evil strip club the night before their operation. This is the kind of stuff that makes for great propaganda in the Muslim world. They're hero is making money off his suicide bombers, who are sexual perverts. Attention psyops at CNN.
7 posted on 09/14/2001 8:46:01 PM PDT by Kermit

No, but if he placed large orders, it would give us a link to associates that placed the orders! That could be invaluable!

8 posted on 09/14/2001 8:46:26 PM PDT by F-117A

This whole episode appears inspired by the (excellent) Tom Clancy book 'Debt of Honor'.

If so, we had better watch out for 'friendly fire accidents' (Sunburn antiship missiles?) from supposed allies during coming military maneuvers.

Perhaps Mr. Clancy can provide some creative input to our strategic planners--ala his alter ego, Jack Ryan. It was brilliant how the bad guys were finally handled in the subsequent book, 'Executive Orders'.

9 posted on 09/14/2001 9:14:59 PM PDT by follow your bliss

Here's hoping the SOB only had Salon.com stock.
10 posted on 09/14/2001 9:26:29 PM PDT by Hillarys Gate Cult

As a former stock trader, this occurred to me a few days ago. Very logical, if you think it through. You endeavor to crush our country and the market at the same time.

While I have not participated in the markets for a while, over the past week or two they seemed 'heavy', like someone was 'leaning' on then. [Kind of like the Hunts and the silver market in reverse.] I had even printed charts on Monday, to look at later. It was eerie when I found them again on Wed morning.

Good post. Glad someone is looking at this. Could well be a smoking gun.

11 posted on 09/14/2001 9:49:39 PM PDT by the crow

To: F-117A
Good point.
12 posted on 09/15/2001 5:31:30 AM PDT by 11th Earl of Mar
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8 | View Replies]

To: the crow
Yes, the markets have been trading poorly for quite a while.

I'm sure all the S&P futures sell tickets are going to made to stand up and speak!

13 posted on 09/15/2001 8:05:03 AM PDT by NativeNewYorker
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 11 | View Replies]

To: Clinton's a liar
Did you notice the selling that was going on in the days leading up to this event. DJIA down 250 pts., 200 pts., etc., day after day. Perhaps some people knew in advance that this was coming and it was time to unload?
14 posted on 09/15/2001 8:23:26 AM PDT by Edmund Burke
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

To: the crow
i've said from the start (not on FR, but to friends) that round 2 is an attack on our financial markets. there is no telling how long conspirators have been accumulating short positions, i would like to see all short sales prior to september 11th frozen at market close pps on the 10th. i think we need to give investigators enough time to sort out the details. those short-sellers who are cleared after investigation, could reap their rewards at a later date and consider themselves lucky.

in addition, declare a temporary moratorium on future short-selling... it can be done:

"regulatory authorities could prohibit short selling, says Barry Hyman, chief investment strategist at Ehrenkrantz King Nussbaum, who remembers when the American Stock Exchange banned shorting shares of the formerly public Home Shopping Network."

15 posted on 09/15/2001 9:42:49 AM PDT by debg
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 11 | View Replies]

To: debg
Shorting individual stocks is time and capital consuming, leaving a long paper trail.

It is FAR more efficient to short futures or buy put options on indicies.

You want leverage? Buy short-dated out-of-the-money puts on S&Ps - interestingly, the Sep series expires this week.

I dare say trading records are going to be examined VERY carefully.

BTW, I am NOT short.

16 posted on 09/15/2001 6:01:54 PM PDT by NativeNewYorker
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 15 | View Replies]

On Sept 11- Fox's finacial analyst Neil Cavuto -- shortly after the attack -- said that there was a strange sequence of events shortly before the markets closed - oil prices were going up and the dollar was taking a hit.

Because of that - I was convince we were dealing with a nation-state (Saddam) - as I was watching the unbelievable.

17 posted on 09/16/2001 3:30:48 AM PDT by The Raven

To: The Raven
Glancing quickly at the real-time intraday price charts, neither the dollar nor oil was doing anything unusual prior to the attack.

Between the time of the attack and the closing of various markets, of course prices swung sharply, but that appears to be in reaction to, rather than in anticipation of, the attack.

That said, insiders would have been quietly accumulating positions in the days and weeks preceding the attack. Now we'll see if they can get out.

18 posted on 09/16/2001 5:54:53 AM PDT by NativeNewYorker
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 17 | View Replies]

To: debg
You might be right. As a trader, there is nothing more gratifying than shorting a stock at the proper time. You "feel" a stock at the precipice, with vested interests trying to prop it up that are already long up the wazoo, running short on staying power.

If you play it right, there is nothing more rewarding [in the profit and gamemanship sense] than a good play on the short side. If you're wrong you are screwed.

FWIW: I got pretty good at it. I perceived it to be very nonproductive, which is why I don't trade anymore.

19 posted on 09/16/2001 10:20:07 PM PDT by the crow
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 15 | View Replies]

Comment #20 Removed by Moderator

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-25 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson