Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

An idea for an appropriate memorial
milagroforms.com | Saturday, September 15, 2001 | 1John

Posted on 09/15/2001 7:48:53 AM PDT by 1John

Someday, and I hope very soon, there will be a new "World Trade Center" built on the exact site of the old and I feel some kind of memorial to the lost should be a part of the new structure.

So, how about this:

You go to the trade center and get in the elevator. As you ride floor to floor, you begin to notice a large marble plaque at each landing. And on each plaque are the names of the people who were lost from that particular floor in the old tower. Whatchathink?

TOPICS: Editorial; Front Page News; Your Opinion/Questions
KEYWORDS:
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-23 next last
This is my idea for a fitting memorial and "in-your-face" reply to the criminals who killed so many. I would also include those who were there but managed to escape.

If you think this is a good plan, post some support. If you have a better idea or want to add to this one, post that. My main concern is that the towers are rebuilt and that they contain a very real memorial to the slain. If you think this is a good idea and know whom to contact to present it, please share your knowledge.
1 posted on 09/15/2001 7:48:53 AM PDT by 1John
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: 1John

2 posted on 09/15/2001 7:51:06 AM PDT by 1John
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

You forgot the rest of the line under the cartoon...

...And nuke Afghanistan..."

3 posted on 09/15/2001 7:56:20 AM PDT by Tennessee_Bob
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

I recall a news report on Fox (I think) that the lease holder had announced the intention of rebuilding on the WTC site.
4 posted on 09/15/2001 8:02:18 AM PDT by newzjunkey

To: Tennessee_Bob
No, Bob, I didn't forget it. I purposely took it out because I think we need to be careful that we do not, in our anger, become as sinful as the criminals who attacked us. We need to think and consider what our Father in heaven would think of us if we begin to indiscriminately to kill innocent women and children. Where it is necessary, killing must and will be done. The Osama bin Laden kind of criminal behavior must be stopped, but our hearts must NOT be devoted to vengeance but rather to self-defence. The very moment we purpose to exact vengeance on even so vile an enemy is the same moment we remove ourselves from God's loving grace and ally ourselves with Satan.

"Vengeance is MINE, sayeth the Lord. I WILL repay!"
5 posted on 09/15/2001 8:08:21 AM PDT by 1John
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

I doubt that New Yorkers are going fool with any plaques.
They just want there towers rebuilt. THAT will be 'memorial' enough.
6 posted on 09/15/2001 8:20:14 AM PDT by Slyfox

Not to opine on your particular proposal, but, I'm growing a bit -- for the lack of a better word -- supersticious, and suspect of some of the memorialism of late.

The OKC memorial literally gives me the creeps. I don't have an answer for this, but I'm getting a bit freaked out because these things are getting to be like 'alters to victimhood'.

I want a memorial to people, not to a tragedy. Anyone see this?

Memorials need to represent hope, a living memory. Dignity not morbidity.

7 posted on 09/15/2001 8:38:25 AM PDT by Prism

To: Slyfox
You know, Sly, I do really wonder. New Yawkers have this rep as the coldest, meanest, most self-centered bunch in the known western world...... But over the last few days we have seen what they are really like. Maybe you are right, but I have a feeling that they (the people living in New York) will want something to remember the lost. I made a suggestion as to how they might do that. I suspect that, if they even decide to do something, it will be uniquely "New York". But, I have to admit, I would be immensely proud to have, from 3000 miles away, provided the germ of an idea that eventually came to fruition.
8 posted on 09/15/2001 8:42:27 AM PDT by 1John
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 6 | View Replies]

To: Prism
I could not agree more. Maudlin speechifying is one of the reasons that I am very glad that W is Prez and the wimp is not. (BTW - Milagro suggested this AM that she is glad that the Prez is "The Whip" and not"The Wimp") However, you and I both know the power of "The Wall" commerating those who died in the Nam. I totally agree that the VERY BEST thing is to rebuilt those towers as quickly as is humanly possible. I had hoped that my simple addition to them would find sympathy. Apparently, I was wrong.
9 posted on 09/15/2001 8:47:22 AM PDT by 1John
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 7 | View Replies]

We have to make a careful distinction between seeking vengeance on our own personal behalf (which is forbidden) and defending our fellow man created in the image of God (which is commanded). When we do the latter inside the border of our country, we normally call it justice. When we do it outside the border of our country, we normally call it war. But same principle.
10 posted on 09/15/2001 8:55:07 AM PDT by HiTech RedNeck
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

Personally, I like this idea. A simple memorial on each floor would be much better than a grassy park or some monolothic structure.
11 posted on 09/15/2001 9:02:30 AM PDT by WIMom

To: HiTech RedNeck
Then we agree?
12 posted on 09/15/2001 9:06:10 AM PDT by 1John
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 10 | View Replies]

I am worried that an immediate rebuild of the WTC will not become a target #1 for every nutcase in the world. Right now let's focus on getting THESE nutcases.
13 posted on 09/15/2001 9:10:52 AM PDT by det dweller too

To: det dweller too
Me, too! HOWEVER, we cannot live in fear. We must emerge from our foxholes an ENGAGE!
14 posted on 09/15/2001 9:13:27 AM PDT by 1John
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 13 | View Replies]

Not an old testament person are you? The jews were instructed by God Himself more than once to kill every man, woman and child and dog of certain groups. Jesus's arrival did not dismantle the old testament. Our Lord is loving, but He Himself has also said He is jealous, and vengeful. He does instruct us to do certain things, including punishing the wicked, and it's not always a nice punishment. If you can't handle the violence of divine retribution, go hide with the liberals.
15 posted on 09/15/2001 9:23:27 AM PDT by goodieD
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

Hello to All Freepers. I am a New Freeper September 2001. This is my first post - I hope I do it correctly. I strongly concur with the rebuilding of the WTC towers. We should consider the following as part of the plan. Once our services have gathered all of those responsible in the U.S., let's keep them in jail feeding them, instead of bread and water, P&P (pXss and pork) and then use them as part of the concrete mixture for the foundation.
16 posted on 09/15/2001 9:30:26 AM PDT by GYPSY286 (gypsy286)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 12 | View Replies]

To: goodieD
I find your post offensive. Certainly the Lord God may require us to kill. And kill on a scale that is abhorant to us all in other circumstances. My caution is that we pray and listen to the Spirit and do as He would command. "Kill 'em all and let God sort 'em out!" may become the order of the day, but the Spirit within me, at least at this point, counsels caution.
17 posted on 09/15/2001 9:30:51 AM PDT by 1John
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 15 | View Replies]

To: goodieD
....but I do love your profile page! Don't misunderstand me, please. My personal desire is that the people of The United States of America do EVERYTHING necessary to rid the entire world of terrorism. I got into a big argument a couple nights age because I said that you cannot remove this terrible scourge from the world unless you remove it's support base - even the so-called "innocents", the women and children who cheer them on. What is about to happen, will happen. I hope you and I can prepare the people for the reality that the reality will not be pleasant. No clean gunshots to the thigh. This time there will be saber slashes to the genitals. That's the way of it. But, please, let's not get too blood thirsty until we absolutely have to.
18 posted on 09/15/2001 9:40:20 AM PDT by 1John
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 15 | View Replies]

The WTC will rise again from the ashes. We need to rebuild them for pride and to show the bastards they haven't won they can destroy our businesses and kill our workers but they can't break our spirits and take what makes this country so great away from us. God Bless America.
19 posted on 09/15/2001 9:42:16 AM PDT by goldstategop
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 17 | View Replies]

To: goldstategop
Amen.
20 posted on 09/15/2001 9:43:49 AM PDT by 1John
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 19 | View Replies]

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-23 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson