Skip to comments.

Talaban Militiamen's Anti-Women Policies Aggravate Native Homosexual Lifestyles
Guardian News Service ^ | ? | Jonathan Steele

Posted on 09/16/2001 2:58:34 PM PDT by VA Advogado

Link to Story

Repression of women creates Taliban dilemma
AFGHAN NEWS SOURCE
Guardian News Service

Jonathan Steele reports from Kandahar, Afghanistan, on various attitudes to homosexuality among Taliban militiamen

What happens to sexually active young men who do not see a female face for months at a time? In Kandahar, the home of the ultrapunitive Taliban militias who have forced all Afghan women to disappear behind the veil, it seems feeble not to raise the issue.

The city had a reputation for homosexuality long before the Taliban seized power two years ago. In other parts of Afghanistan young Taliban militiamen can be seen holding hands and touching each other with obvious affection.

If women have been so brutally repressed by the Taliban, what about gay men?

"We have a dilemma on this," admitted Mr Mohammed Hassan, governor of Kandahar and the senior mullah nominated to lead the Taliban in talks with representatives of the former government.

His comment was an unexpectedly liberal start to the conversation. Was he wavering between tolerance and censure?

"The difficulty is this," the governor said. "One group of scholars believes you should take these people to the top of the highest building in the city and hurl them to their deaths.

"[Other scholars] recommend you dig a pit near a wall somewhere, put these people in it, then topple the wall so that they are buried alive."

The mullah must have noticed the effect his answer had. Apparently in mitigation, he said a third group of scholars argued that homosexuals should merely be put on public display with blackened faces. This was the Taliban's favourite solution.

"We have punished people in this way in Kandahar," he said. "Homosexuality is a very big crime."

The governor seemed relaxed, in his black turban and with a long, grey shirt hanging loosely over pyjama-style trousers. He lolled in an armchair, placing one bare foot on a side table. His other leg had been pulped by shrapnel in his days fighting against the Soviet occupation. In its place a metal rod with a heavy plastic foot rested on the carpet.

We asked why television and cinemas were banned. "Worshipping statues was forbidden by the Prophet Mohammed, and watching television is the same as seeing statues," the governor said. "Drawing pictures or looking at them is sinful.

"People have a right to entertainment, but instead of going to the cinema, they can go to the gardens and see the flowers. Then they will see the essence of Islam."

The governor admitted to annoyance that no other countries had recognised the Taliban, including former supporters.

"Pakistan claims our policies violate human rights. Our opponents say we are against Wahabism [strict following of the Koran], so Saudi Arabia does not support us. America is against us because we don't allow their films."

The governor said the Taliban would carry on regardless. They had no wish to take loans from foreign governments or the World Bank if it meant paying interest.

A visit to Kandahar destroys one pervasive myth. In Kabul, where the movement took control in September, people sometimes argue that the Taliban are bound to relax once they have been in power for some time.

The mullahs make the case themselves. "Give us a chance to establish peace and security throughout Afghanistan, and then we will reconsider the question of the veil," is a common official refrain.

Kandahar gives it the lie. There has been no fighting around the city for two years, yet no rules have been relaxed. Girls' schools are closed. Women are still forbidden to work, except for women doctors, but even they are barred from treating men or talking with male colleagues.

A local Kandahari, an official at one of the United Nations aid agencies, said: "The last Afghan woman we had working here has just moved to Pakistan. The Taliban religious director came here to check on our staff, and she was warned to stop."

The official stays only because his dollar salary helps him support two brothers studying in Pakistan.

"I would leave here if I could. I don't see any future for myself if these conditions prevail. The Taliban will not change. I've debated with them many times. Our future is becoming darker and darker." (Guardian Service)

TOPICS: News/Current Events
KEYWORDS:
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-27 next last
This article is certain to incite (excite??) the homosexual community. Still, will they support the war against Osama Bin Laden?
1 posted on 09/16/2001 2:58:34 PM PDT by VA Advogado
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: VA Advogado
Bump.
2 posted on 09/16/2001 3:01:57 PM PDT by VA Advogado
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

Osama's not married is he...hmmmmm...
3 posted on 09/16/2001 3:08:52 PM PDT by Blackyce

I can't remember where I read this, and it was several years ago, but _Iran_ was criticizing the Taliban for "extremist policies". It might have been some prohibition on girls attending school. Confounding variable: I think the Muslims in Afganastahn are Shiites and the Muslims in Iran are Sunni's. That sort of division also explains why Iraq invaded Iran, why northern Iraq rebels against Saddam and why Pakistan supports the Taliban. Thinking about "muslims" is like talking about "Christians" and looking at Northern Ireland and wondering what could be going on ...
4 posted on 09/16/2001 3:15:03 PM PDT by ConsistentLibertarian

To: Blackyce
Four wives.
5 posted on 09/16/2001 3:15:35 PM PDT by TruthShallSetYouFree
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

They discuss the sex of the angels when we are under attack. This is sick.
6 posted on 09/16/2001 3:18:04 PM PDT by lavaroise

To: ConsistentLibertarian
Its Sunnis in Afghanistan and Shiites in Iran. Gee, I thought everybody knew that.
7 posted on 09/16/2001 3:26:53 PM PDT by razorbak
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

it was several years ago, but _Iran_ was criticizing the Taliban for "extremist policies". It might have been some prohibition on girls attending school.

So they're going to piss of both the feminists and the homosexuals? Bush was right. . they really have woken a sleeping giant.

8 posted on 09/16/2001 3:36:45 PM PDT by VA Advogado

To: razorbak
I hope they call Iraq for military advice.
9 posted on 09/16/2001 3:37:57 PM PDT by VA Advogado
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 7 | View Replies]

Perhaps we could send a few of our HIV positive...err..umm...shall we say "ambassadors" over there to develop deep personal relationships with the taliban. If you know what I mean.
10 posted on 09/16/2001 3:40:31 PM PDT by neutrino (neutrino)

To: razorbak
I didn't. Thanks.
11 posted on 09/16/2001 3:43:13 PM PDT by ConsistentLibertarian
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 7 | View Replies]

To: all
The last Afghan woman we had working here has just moved to Pakistan

please don't report the movement of female doctors to Pakistan, or of walls falling on homosexuals. llss, ya know. This contains both movement and strategy....bad for the war effort. ;-)

12 posted on 09/16/2001 3:43:36 PM PDT by xzins

Actually, the Iranians are Shi'ite Moslems, while Pakistan and Afghanistan are largely Sunni. Although the Afghani Northern Alliance is made up of many elements, including former Communists, one of the largest groups is Shi'ite Moslems. Thus, Iran has been quietly supporting the Northern Alliance, and could thus be expected to approve of any moves made against the Taliban.

Iraq contains both Shi'ite and Sunni Moslems, with Shi'ite Moslems making up slightly more than 60% of the population. Saddam Hussein and his Ba'th Party is made up predominately of Sunni Moslems, and they use a very heavy hand to keep the Shi'ites suppressed. There is an ineffective Shi'ite resistance movement against Saddam based in southeastern Iraq.

Assuming that we don't connect Iraq to the WTC attack and go to war against them, I expect both Iran and Iraq will sit back and look for opportunities to advance their respective causes -- Iran hoping to put their people in control of Afghanistan, and Iraq offering support to the Palestinians if they try to take advantage of unrest in the region.

13 posted on 09/16/2001 3:45:03 PM PDT by SouthernMan

Of course we will.
14 posted on 09/16/2001 3:54:44 PM PDT by CARTOUCHE

To: SouthernMan
That's super helpful. Thank you very much. What about Turkey and the rebellion in the North of Iraq that prompted the establishment of the Northern "no fly" zone. Since Turkey is a NATO member, that's one point I'd be particularly interested in learning more about.
15 posted on 09/16/2001 3:55:29 PM PDT by ConsistentLibertarian
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 13 | View Replies]

To: xzins
please don't report the movement of female doctors to Pakistan, or of walls falling on homosexuals

You must admit the Talaban is a nasty bunch of fellows. As I said on another thread, they'll cut your head off and play soccer with it.

16 posted on 09/16/2001 3:59:13 PM PDT by VA Advogado
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 12 | View Replies]

If that's the public school rules, I wonder what the parochial school does for punishment?
17 posted on 09/16/2001 4:05:13 PM PDT by xzins
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 16 | View Replies]

To: xzins
LOL I think they're all parochial. Probably one of the only redeeming facts of this country.
18 posted on 09/16/2001 4:09:57 PM PDT by VA Advogado
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 17 | View Replies]

You know the Blues Brothers movie with the nun named Penguin, how she'd slap their knuckles with the ruler?

I just had this image of one of those Islamic ladies in black as a school teacher. A kid gets out of line. Out from under the black robe comes a Kalashnikov and on the kid's head a seeping red hole.

Now that's discipline.

19 posted on 09/16/2001 4:20:26 PM PDT by xzins
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 18 | View Replies]

The moslems in Turkey are Sunni, for the most part,
but there is a large faction of Alawis (Alevi)
which is vaguely part of the Shi'ite movement,
(which has many, many factions)
though they don't side with Iran.

This has been an additional component of the social unrest in Turkey
since many Kurds are Alawi, but also Turks as well.

There have been severe riots against the Alawis in Istanbul and other cities on several occasions.

20 posted on 09/16/2001 4:43:14 PM PDT by Nogbad
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 15 | View Replies]

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-27 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson