Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

U.S. just as guilty of committing own violent acts
Houston Chronical ^ | 9/13/01 | ROBERT JENSEN

Posted on 09/16/2001 5:23:18 PM PDT by Mr.E

Like everyone in the United States and around the world, I shared the deep sadness at the deaths of thousands.

But as I listened to people around me talk, I realized the anger and fear I felt were very different, for my primary anger is directed at the leaders of this country and my fear is not only for the safety of Americans but for innocent civilians in other countries.

It should need not be said, but I will say it: The acts of terrorism that killed civilians in New York and Washington were reprehensible and indefensible; to try to defend them would be to abandon one's humanity. No matter what the motivation of the attackers, the method is beyond discussion.

But this act was no more despicable than the massive acts of terrorism -- the deliberate killing of civilians for political purposes -- that the U.S. government has committed during my lifetime. For more than five decades throughout the Third World, the United States has deliberately targeted civilians or engaged in violence so indiscriminate that there is no other way to understand it except as terrorism. And it has supported similar acts of terrorism by client states.

If that statement seems outrageous, ask the people of Vietnam. Or Cambodia and Laos. Or Indonesia and East Timor. Or Chile. Or Central America. Or Iraq. Or Palestine. The list of countries and peoples who have felt the violence of this country is long. Vietnamese civilians bombed by the United States. Timorese civilians killed by a U.S. ally with U.S.-supplied weapons. Nicaraguan civilians killed by a U.S. proxy army of terrorists. Iraqi civilians killed by the deliberate bombing of an entire country's infrastructure.

So, my anger is directed not only at individuals who engineered the Sept. 11 tragedy, but at those who have held power in the United States and have engineered attacks on civilians every bit as tragic. That anger is compounded by hypocritical U.S. officials' talk of their commitment to higher ideals, as President Bush proclaimed "our resolve for justice and peace."

To the president, I can only say: The stilled voices of the millions killed in Southeast Asia, in Central America, in the Middle East as a direct result of U.S. policy are the evidence of our resolve for justice and peace.

Though that anger stayed with me off and on all day on Sept. 11, it quickly gave way to fear, but not the fear of "Where will the terrorists strike next?" which I heard voiced all around me. Instead, I almost immediately had to face the question: "When will the United States, without regard for civilian casualties, retaliate?" I wish the question were, "Will the United States retaliate?" But if history is a guide, it is a question only of when and where.

So, the question is which civilians will be unlucky enough to be in the way of the U.S. bombs and missiles that might be unleashed. The last time the United States responded to terrorism, the attack on its embassies in Kenya and Tanzania in 1998, it was innocents in the Sudan and Afghanistan who were in the way. We were told that time around they hit only military targets, though the target in the Sudan turned out to be a pharmaceutical factory.

As I monitored television during the day on Tuesday, the talk of retaliation was in the air; in the voices of some of the national security "experts" there was a hunger for retaliation. Even the journalists couldn't resist; speculating on a military strike that might come, Peter Jennings of ABC News said, "The response is going to have to be massive," if it is to be effective.

Let us not forget that a "massive response" will kill people, and if the pattern of past U.S. actions holds, it will kill innocents. Innocent people, just like the ones in the towers in New York and the ones on the airplanes that were hijacked. To borrow from President Bush, "mother and fathers, friends and neighbors" will surely die in a massive response.

If we are truly going to claim to be decent people, our tears must flow not only for those of our own country. People are people, and grief that is limited to those within a specific political boundary denies the humanity of others.

And if we are to be decent people, we all must demand of our government -- the government that a great man of peace, Martin Luther King Jr., once described as "the greatest purveyor of violence in the world" -- that the insanity stop here.

Jensen is a professor of journalism at the University of Texas in Austin.

TOPICS: Activism/Chapters; News/Current Events
KEYWORDS:
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-6061-8081-97 next last
This might have been posted but it can't slip by....
1 posted on 09/16/2001 5:23:18 PM PDT by Mr.E
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: Mr.E
...my primary anger is directed at the leaders of this country and my fear is not only for the safety of Americans but for innocent civilians in other countries.

Then you may go straight to Hell, sir.

2 posted on 09/16/2001 5:28:38 PM PDT by BurkeanCyclist
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

Mr. E. , you can tell all, especially the clinton administration and mr. clinton himself and all those NAY sayers to "GO AND PUT ICE ON IT!"
3 posted on 09/16/2001 5:28:53 PM PDT by yoe (yoe)

Comment #4 Removed by Moderator

http://uts.cc.utexas.edu/~rjensen/home.htm

Copy and paste above link to contact this terrible waste of skin!

5 posted on 09/16/2001 5:31:17 PM PDT by mdittmar

The UT board of regents are all political appointees....
6 posted on 09/16/2001 5:31:37 PM PDT by neutrino (neutrino)

Jensen's and a$$. America doesn't target civilians. He doesn't seem to understand the difference between intentionally murdering innocent civilians and accidentally killing civilians during war.
7 posted on 09/16/2001 5:31:38 PM PDT by tbeatty

To: Mr.E , Jim Robinson
Spare me.
8 posted on 09/16/2001 5:31:47 PM PDT by tet68

What Mr. Jensen no mention of Yugoslavia? Oh yeah, back then they were YOUR planes.
9 posted on 09/16/2001 5:32:55 PM PDT by dfwgator

If Jensen is ready. we'll start the fund raiser for his emmigration airfare. I don't care where, we'll get the sucker paid for right here, this next week.
10 posted on 09/16/2001 5:34:08 PM PDT by KC Burke

Let's see how how this barbara striesand stacks...Peter Jennings is calling the shots? Is this clown an American? I am ashamed for this creep
11 posted on 09/16/2001 5:34:29 PM PDT by tommytrifecta

professor of journalism

That pretty much tells you all you need to know about this loser. Another anti-American parrot. They are all the same. They cannot tell the difference between an act of war and an act of terrorism. By taking the acts out of context they can then create a moral equivalence.

12 posted on 09/16/2001 5:34:41 PM PDT by TheDon

To: BurkeanCyclist
Ah yes, the old "I'm shocked and saddened BUT." Screw this idiot.
13 posted on 09/16/2001 5:36:17 PM PDT by dighton

Comment #14 Removed by Moderator

I do not think my tax money should pay this kind of un-American proff. to teach our young adults.
15 posted on 09/16/2001 5:40:58 PM PDT by Texbob

The last time the United States responded to terrorism, the attack on its embassies in Kenya and Tanzania in 1998, it was innocents in the Sudan and Afghanistan who were in the way. We were told that time around they hit only military targets, though the target in the Sudan turned out to be a pharmaceutical factory.

This was Clinton's fault, not the fault of the United States.

Throughout our history, the United States has restrained itself (often painstakingly) from committing actions against non-combantants. No nation in the history of the world can match our restraint during wartime.

How many nations with our weapons would have restrained themselves? Not too many. Certainly not agressive nations like Iraq and North Vietnam who are the cesspools of the earth.

This fool is attempting to resurrect the 'moral equivalency' principle that liberals used to justify their positions on the Cold War. And he, like the liberals and communists, can go to hell.

16 posted on 09/16/2001 5:44:18 PM PDT by Mulder

To: All
Note Mr.E's Keyword in the headline of the post. Mr. E is describing this article as "Anti-American," therefore Mr. E is NOT IN AGREEMENT with the article. He is undoubtedly posting it as an example of an attack on America and soliciting your comments regarding the article as an example of anti-Americanism.
17 posted on 09/16/2001 5:45:40 PM PDT by roughrider

This author leaves out one important point: The power grab now going on in this country ostensibly to combat "terrorism." And this attack on our constitutional liberties is being led by Republicans -- Orrin Hatch and Kyle of Arizona. Will we allow this to happen? We will we allow the Orrin Hatches of the world to invade our privacy, to lurk in our email without a search warrant, because of the terrorists and terrorism that they created?

Make no mistake about it: We created the terrorists that attacked us. The United States of America's representative, Madeline Albright, when asked about the 500,000 dead Iraqi children who died as a result of our sanctions replied: "It was worth it."

In view of recent events, was it?

18 posted on 09/16/2001 5:47:15 PM PDT by Un-PC

Jensen is a professor of journalism at the University of Texas in Austin.

Another piece of garbage trying to change the world via the mass media.

19 posted on 09/16/2001 5:47:48 PM PDT by Josiah6

To: roughrider
I hope that is Clear? I can't stand this Crap...
20 posted on 09/16/2001 5:48:55 PM PDT by Mr.E
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 17 | View Replies]

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-6061-8081-97 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson