Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Hackers "Crack" Jihad Mailing List.
Der Spiegel ^ | September 17, 2001 | Jochen Bölsche

Posted on 09/17/2001 9:12:00 AM PDT by Nebullis

Subscribers to a mailing list originating from the Qoqaz terrorist recruiting website was "cracked" by an anonymous hacker who posted the list of 500 names on a Swiss usenet site. Included in the list is one of the suspected hijackers and the name of a suspected mastermind behind the hijackings.

TOPICS: Extended News; Foreign Affairs; News/Current Events
KEYWORDS:
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041 next last
And, no, I do not suspect that this story is fabricated to remove internet liberties or civil liberties in general.
1 posted on 09/17/2001 9:12:00 AM PDT by Nebullis
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: Nebullis
Out them all, I say. This may well be one of our most potent weapons. Certainly cost effective.
2 posted on 09/17/2001 9:16:53 AM PDT by the crow
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

I bet the hacker is under 20 years of age, these kids are so sharp it's frightening.
3 posted on 09/17/2001 9:17:51 AM PDT by MissAmericanPie

Do you have a link to an English version? Sorry, my German is really rusty. :-)
4 posted on 09/17/2001 9:19:25 AM PDT by oc-flyfish

Well, post the list...
5 posted on 09/17/2001 9:20:04 AM PDT by babygene

I was wondering whether hackers would help in the effort to stop terrorism. Do you recall the story about hackers cracking Indian and/or Pakistani computers and wiping out all their nuclear test data? I never heard whether that was true or fabricated.
6 posted on 09/17/2001 9:20:40 AM PDT by TigersEye

As an MIS Manager and can truely say for the first time....THANK GOD FOR HACKERS
7 posted on 09/17/2001 9:21:27 AM PDT by HEY4QDEMS

To: MissAmericanPie
I bet the hacker is under 20 years of age, these kids are so sharp it's frightening.

It's more in the category of 'they have time on their hands and NO responsibilities - like supporting a family or running a business' ...

8 posted on 09/17/2001 9:21:40 AM PDT by _Jim
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

To: oc-flyfish
I don't have a proper English version, but, if you use your search engine to find Der Spiegel, you have the option of opening the page to an english translation. The translation is atrocious, but it'll give you an idea of the story. It's on the front page of today's Spiegel.
9 posted on 09/17/2001 9:22:24 AM PDT by Nebullis
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

To: TigersEye
I was wondering whether hackers would help in the effort to stop terrorism.There already was a post on FR about hackers (article used the term crackers) joining together to do this.
10 posted on 09/17/2001 9:22:52 AM PDT by oc-flyfish
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 6 | View Replies]

BITCHEN!

Bump
11 posted on 09/17/2001 9:25:07 AM PDT by off-roader

Hacker cracks the mailing list of the God gotteskrieger

Of yokes Boel It calls itself " anonymous cowards " and the E-Mail addresses of Usern in the network placed, which subscribed new type character of militant Islamics. On the list is allegedly the name one of the presumed WTC assassins from Hamburg.

Hamburg - who called the German Website www.qoqaz.de, could experience until recently, where it can train for the " holy war " and learn handling weapons. And who left its E-Mail address, with " new type character " of the militant Islamics was supplied.

List with 500 names

Briefly before the Website suddenly disappeared on weekend from the network, a hacker, who calls itself " anonymous cowards ", cracked obviously the directory of the subscribers. Those approximately 500 names global mailing list published the unknown quantity in a Swiss Internet forum under the address www.symlink.ch. " a little had I to exert, " is written the anonymous hacker, " however actually was there no obstacle. "

Arab with German university account

The E-Mail addresses, whose authenticity was not checked by security authorities so far yet, contain predominantly Arab names. In several cases address constituents point on the use of E-Mail accounts of German universities, approximately from universities in Berlin, Bremen, Konstanz, Tübingen, Stuttgart and cathedral.

Top terrorist on the list?

Among the first 20 subscribers of the Newsletters a user with the address bahaji@tu harburg.de ranks. Is considered to the to time probably volatile 26-jaehrige Harburger TU student Said Bahaji to investigators as a Top logistician of the group of terrorists, to which the impacts in New York and Washington are charged. Bahaji procured the death pilot the visas for the US flight after realizations of the BKA and rented in Hamburg one of the terrorist dwellings.

Internet for the terror network

If the assumed connections between the qoqaz Mailing list and the impacts in the USA should confirm themselves, this would be the so far dramatic voucher for it, which meaning has Internet for Islamic terrorists in all world.

" loosely supranational terror networks linked... set that to Internet as effective communication medium ", already warned in the passed year the national terrorism commission of the USA in a report to the congress. The Islamic Website qoqaz.de is the German-language version of the homepage www.qoqaz.com, which is answered for by the Londoner publishing house Azzam Publications.

The company is designated after that 1989 with an assassination attempt around the life sheikh Abdallah Azzam, the then closest fellow combatant of the terrorist leader Osama come is loading.

To the second section: After " network approximately on the right ": Now a " network against terror "?
12 posted on 09/17/2001 9:25:07 AM PDT by jern

To: cultural jihad
Whaddya think? Will these jihadi head for the hills?
13 posted on 09/17/2001 9:26:51 AM PDT by tpaine

To: jern
Thanks for the translation. Which program did you use?
14 posted on 09/17/2001 9:26:51 AM PDT by oc-flyfish
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 12 | View Replies]

Anybody have a URL for that Swiss usenet site?
15 posted on 09/17/2001 9:28:15 AM PDT by RightOnTheLeftCoast

There already was a post on FR about hackers (article used the term crackers) joining together to do this.

Inside the "geek" community, the two words have different meanings -- a "hacker" is someone who does programming and tweaking of software, especially operating systems and other low-level software, where a "cracker" is someone who breaks into other people's systems (for whatever reason).

16 posted on 09/17/2001 9:28:48 AM PDT by kevkrom
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 10 | View Replies]

Hack those goat humpin murders.
17 posted on 09/17/2001 9:29:34 AM PDT by Joe Hadenuf

To: TigersEye
If some of these hackers would get it going, they could wipe out what they want and never look back. It scares me to see the knowledge these youngsters have.
18 posted on 09/17/2001 9:30:31 AM PDT by gulfcoast6

A translator

http://babelfish.altavista.com/translate.dyn

19 posted on 09/17/2001 9:30:50 AM PDT by monkeyshine
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 14 | View Replies]

If anyone has any problem getting into the terrorist recruiting ste, there are a few alternatives (I have been researching this crap on the web for the past several years and have an extensive personal database on these types of sites - so if anyone needs any information, let me know...) that mirror the site, as well as links provided by the site - Here is the main mirror -

Main Mirror

Related site (Chechan)

20 posted on 09/17/2001 9:31:55 AM PDT by Chad Fairbanks

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson