Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

FreeRepublic Fundraiser --WE WILL STAND UNITED!!!-- We NEED YOUR HELP AND PATRIOTIC POSTS! Thread 64
September 17, 2001 | Americans

Posted on 09/17/2001 10:12:07 AM PDT by WIMom

Our Forefathers Legacy, we shall not fail. HamiltonJay's letter to his Grandfather. A must read by all Patriots.

PATRICK HENRY'S FAMOUS SPEECH

Addressing the Virginia Assembly

Mister President, it is natural to man to indulge in the illusions of hope. We are apt to shut our eyes against a painful truth. Is this the part of wise men, engaged in a great and arduous struggle for liberty? Are we disposed to be of the number of those, who, having eyes, see not, and having ears, hear not, the things which so nearly concern their temporal salvation?

For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst, and to provide for it. I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided; and that is the lamp of experience. I know of no way of judging the future but by the past. Let us not, I beseech you, sir, deceive ourselves longer.

Sir, we have done everything that could be done to avert the storm which is now coming on. We have petitioned; we have remonstrated; we have supplicated; we have prostrated ourselves before the throne, and have implored its interposition to arrest the tyrannical hands of the ministry and Parliament.

Our petitions have been slighted; our remonstrances have produced additional violence and insult; our supplications have been disregarded; and we have been spurned, with contempt, from the foot of the throne!

In vain, after these things, may we indulge in the fond hope of peace and reconciliation. There is no longer any room for hope. If we wish to be free -- if we mean to preserve inviolate those inestimable privileges for which we have been so long contending -- if we mean not basely to abandon the noble struggle in which we have been so long engaged, and which we have pledged ourselves never to abandon, until the glorious object of our contest shall be obtained -- WE MUST FIGHT!

I repeat it, sir, we must fight! An appeal to arms and to the God of hosts is all that is left us!

They tell us, sir, that we are weak -- unable to cope with so formidable an adversary. But when shall we be stronger? Will it be the next week or the next year? Will it be when we are totally disarmed, and when a British guard shall be stationed in every house?

Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

Sir, we are not weak if we make a proper use of those means which the God of nature has placed in our power. Three millions of people armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us. Besides, sir, we shall not fight our battles alone. There is a just God who presides over the destinies of nations, and who will raise up friends to fight our battles for us.

The battle, sir, is not to the strong alone; it is to the vigilant, the active, the brave. Besides, sir, we have no election. If we were base enough to desire it, it is now too late to retire from the contest. There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! Our chains are forged. Their clanking may be heard on the plains of Boston! The war is inevitable -- and let it come!!

I repeat it sir, let it come! It is vain, sir, to extenuate the matter. Gentlemen may cry "peace, peace" -- but there is no peace! The war is actually begun! The next gale that sweeps from the north will bring to our ears the clash of resounding arms! Our brethren are already in the field! Why stand we here idle?

What is it that gentlemen wish? What would they have? Is life so dear, or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery?

Forbid it, Almighty God - I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!"~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Patrick Henry then took his seat. No murmur of applause was heard. The effect was too deep. After the trance of a moment, several members started from their seats. The cry, "To arms!" seemed to quiver on every lip and gleam from every eye.

No written records of this speech exist. The words were so powerful that they were etched into the minds of every man present, who later assisted biographer William Wirt to bring words to paper.

Patrick Henry lived from 1736 to 1799. This speech was given before the Virginia Provincial Convention (assembled after Lord Dunsmore had suspended the Virginia Assembly) which was debating whether to send the militia under arms to defend the colony against the Crown's Government, an act of treason.

In arguments against the Stamp Act of 1765, he said "If this be treason, let us make the most of it."

TOPICS: Activism/Chapters; Announcements
KEYWORDS:
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-6061-80 ... 101-113 next last
If you feel strongly that Free Republic has made a difference and you want to see it continue on, please send in a donation of whatever your heart moves you to send.

Donate Here by Secure Server

Or Mail your check to:

FreeRepublic , LLC
PO BOX 9771
FRESNO, CA 93794

To donate By Paypal:

Send PayPal direct to JimRob@psnw.com

FreeRepublic and Jim Robinson's finances

Thread 44 -w/links to ALL prior threads
Thread 51 -w/links to ALL prior threads
Thread 58 -w/links to ALL prior threads
Thread 59
Thread 60
Thread 61
Thread 62
Thread 63

1 posted on 09/17/2001 10:12:07 AM PDT by WIMom
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: WIMom
I'm going to re-boot can do a little maintenance on my PC. Be back in a bit......
2 posted on 09/17/2001 10:15:19 AM PDT by WIMom
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

Thank you for the new thread - the loading time on the other was getting really slow!!!!!!
3 posted on 09/17/2001 10:18:08 AM PDT by Gabz
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

To: WIMom, ALL
Let's Roll!!!!

Let's Roll!

BUMP
4 posted on 09/17/2001 10:19:43 AM PDT by Fiddlstix

WTC & Pentagon attacks

Here's the best collection of photographs I've found:
America Under Attack - Photographs: An Inside View </font size></font color>

</font size>

5 posted on 09/17/2001 10:23:56 AM PDT by ppaul
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: WIMom, 2ndMost, All Patriots and moochers
Thanks for the help! The cap auction now looks great; could I be so bold as to ask you to drag it along with us, from thread to shining thread? JL

If Rush Limbaugh ever comes correct with his monthly, I would love to know about it, and procure him a nice SS cap...I WILL NOT go "Fred Mertz" on this offer! BTTT

6 posted on 09/17/2001 10:29:17 AM PDT by lodwick (Get on some other threads and severely chastise those moochers!)

To: ppaul
Thanks for the link. Amazing photos.
7 posted on 09/17/2001 10:41:21 AM PDT by WIMom
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

To: lodwick; PATRIOTIC AMERICANS! TEXANS!

I have a brand new navy blue Secret Service winter cap, with the letters BPD (Bush Protective Detail,

41 not 43) woven on the back. The front has the SS badge covering, protecting, the state of Texas.

This item is now up for auction, if someone way smarter than lodwick will handle the details, and NO, don't even think of requesting a photo of same. You know how digitally challenged I am. BTTT! JL

56 Posted on 09/17/2001 08:56:13 PDT by lodwick (Get on some other threads and severely chastise those moochers!)

2nd now bids $50 donation to FR for this cap!

8 posted on 09/17/2001 10:44:02 AM PDT by 2ndMostConservativeBrdMember
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 6 | View Replies]

To: 2ndMostConservativeBrdMember
Click here for more help
9 posted on 09/17/2001 10:44:41 AM PDT by Stallone
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8 | View Replies]

Thanks for the new thread! Should I post the Constitution again?
10 posted on 09/17/2001 10:46:06 AM PDT by 2ndMostConservativeBrdMember
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 7 | View Replies]

George W. Bush ~~~~~~~~~ Warrior!
11 posted on 09/17/2001 10:50:11 AM PDT by WIMom
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8 | View Replies]

Yes, people need to know what it is. I am afraid many site it without ever have read it.
12 posted on 09/17/2001 10:51:28 AM PDT by WIMom
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 10 | View Replies]

To: Stallone
Thanks for the flag to this beautiful picture.
13 posted on 09/17/2001 10:54:15 AM PDT by WIMom
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 9 | View Replies]

To: Stallone
Thank you!
14 posted on 09/17/2001 10:56:49 AM PDT by 2ndMostConservativeBrdMember
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 9 | View Replies]

have = having
15 posted on 09/17/2001 10:58:52 AM PDT by WIMom
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 12 | View Replies]

The Bill of Rights in Bronze

THE UNITED STATES CONSTITUTION

That's right, 213 years ago today, our Constitution was signed by 39 Founding Fathers:

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

16 posted on 09/17/2001 11:04:55 AM PDT by 2ndMostConservativeBrdMember
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 12 | View Replies]

You have *.....
17 posted on 09/17/2001 11:14:26 AM PDT by WIMom
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 16 | View Replies]

U2!
18 posted on 09/17/2001 11:23:53 AM PDT by 2ndMostConservativeBrdMember
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 17 | View Replies]

I'm still here - but was dealing with a long neglected task - type BUMP.
19 posted on 09/17/2001 11:28:28 AM PDT by Gabz
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 17 | View Replies]

Where did everyone go? More mail to you.....
20 posted on 09/17/2001 11:30:39 AM PDT by WIMom
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 18 | View Replies]

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-6061-80 ... 101-113 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson