News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

5 Israelis detained for `puzzling behavior' after WTC tragedy
Ha'aretz ^

Posted on 09/17/2001 10:41:28 AM PDT by RCW2001

5 Israelis detained for `puzzling behavior' after WTC tragedy
By Yossi Melman

Five Israelis who had worked for a moving company based in New Jersey are being held in U.S. prisons for what the Federal Bureau of Investigation has described as "puzzling behavior" following the terror attack on the World Trade Center in New York last Tuesday. The five are expected to be deported sometime soon.

The families of the five, who asked that their names not be released, said that their sons had been questioned by the FBI for hours on end, had been kept in solitary confinement for three days, and had been humiliated, stripped of their clothes and blindfolded.

The mother of one of the young men explained the chain of events as she understands it to Ha'aretz:

She said that the five had worked for the company, which is owned by an Israeli, for between two months and two years. They had been arrested some four hours after the attack on the Twin Towers while filming the smoking skyline from the roof of their company's building, she said. It appears that they were spotted by one of the neighbors who called the police and the FBI.

The mother said that the families and friends of the five in Israel had known nothing of the men's whereabouts for a number of days.

"When they finally let my son make a phone call for the first time to a friend in the United States two days ago, he told him that he had been tortured by the FBI in a basement," the mother said. "He was stripped to his underwear; he was blindfolded and questioned for 14 hours. They thought that because he has citizenship of a European country as well as of Israel that he was working for the Mossad [Israel's secret service]."

Seven FBI agents later stormed the apartment of one of the Israelis, searched it and questioned his roommate. The Israeli owner of the company, who has U.S. citizenship, was also questioned. Both men were subsequently released.

The families here complained that the Israeli consulate in New York and the situation room set up by the Foreign Ministry there to locate missing Israelis had done nothing to help their sons. The Foreign Ministry told the families that the FBI had denied holding the five and that the consulate had chosen to believe the FBI, the mother said.

The five were transferred out of the FBI's facility on Saturday morning and are now being held in two prisons in New Jersey by the Immigration and Naturalization Services. They are charged with illegally residing in the United States and working there without permits.

The Foreign Ministry said in response that it had been informed by the consulate in New York that the FBI had arrested the five for "puzzling behavior." They are said to have had been caught videotaping the disaster and shouting in what was interpreted as cries of joy and mockery.

TOPICS: Extended News; News/Current Events
KEYWORDS:
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-6061-66 next last

1 posted on 09/17/2001 10:41:28 AM PDT by RCW2001
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: RCW2001
War is hell.
2 posted on 09/17/2001 10:45:31 AM PDT by 101viking
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

Gee that sucks. Good to see the FBI is taking extraordinary steps to catch the terrorists.
3 posted on 09/17/2001 10:48:23 AM PDT by AppyPappy

Were these jewish Israelis, or were they Arabs?
4 posted on 09/17/2001 10:49:34 AM PDT by Neanderthal

To: 101viking
Lucky MI5 didn't get a holt of em. They got some SERIOUS ways to make you talk. Read Noble House.
5 posted on 09/17/2001 10:50:21 AM PDT by Hammerhead
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

the FBI had arrested the five for "puzzling behavior."

Is "puzzling behavior" a misdemeanor or a felony? What's that? There's NO LAW against "puzzling behavior"? How can people be arrested without breaking a law? Regardless, I guess Congress had better pass a law against "puzzling behavior" fast.

They are said to have had been caught videotaping the disaster and shouting in what was interpreted as cries of joy and mockery.

"It was terribly dangerous to let your thoughts wander when you were in any public place or within range of a telescreen. The smallest thing could give you away. A nervous tic, an unconscious look of anxiety, a habit of muttering to yourself-anything that carried with it the suggestion of abnormality, of having something to hide. In any case, to wear an improper expression on your face… was itself a punishable offense. There was even a word for it in Newspeak: facecrime…"
- From "1984", pg 54

6 posted on 09/17/2001 10:56:15 AM PDT by freeeee

The only words I have for this will get me expelled by the Halleluah chorus.
7 posted on 09/17/2001 11:01:20 AM PDT by okie_tech

To: Neanderthal
Were these Jewish Israelis, or were they Arabs?

Good question.

8 posted on 09/17/2001 11:05:51 AM PDT by veronica
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

To: Neanderthal, Sabramerican
None of the names were released.
9 posted on 09/17/2001 11:07:47 AM PDT by Thinkin' Gal

Comment #10 Removed by Moderator

To: Yellow Rose of Texas
Here's my problem...

The five are expected to be deported sometime soon...They are charged with illegally residing in the United States and working there without permits... They are said to have had been caught videotaping the disaster and shouting in what was interpreted as cries of joy and mockery..."

If...I say IF...the accusations of them cheering and taping are true it would indicate foreknowledge...deporting them may well just mean we are resupplying the enemies army. Seems that our own laws may be hurting us. Times of war I would think things would be reconsidered. Just my own mad ramblings here. In reference to my earlier comments on another thread about isolate and containment.

11 posted on 09/17/2001 11:18:42 AM PDT by amom
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 9 | View Replies]

To: The Documentary Lady
Please get your organizations and facts straight.
12 posted on 09/17/2001 11:18:42 AM PDT by Silvertip
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 10 | View Replies]

LOL. I think you mean the JDL, not the JDF. But what act of terror are they accused of in the last 10 or 15 years? What scale and proportion? What is their goal?
13 posted on 09/17/2001 11:26:50 AM PDT by monkeyshine

Judaism is not "a color."

Five Israelis detained. HUNDREDS of Muslims detained.

14 posted on 09/17/2001 11:34:02 AM PDT by veronica

To: Neanderthal
"Were these jewish Israelis, or were they Arabs?"

Would lend all sorts of meaning to the story, wouldn't it?

I'm surprised the reporer didn't at least address the issue. Even if only to say "Whether the five were Jewish or Arabic Israelis was undisclosed."

15 posted on 09/17/2001 11:35:31 AM PDT by okie01

To: freeeee
There was a report last week of a group of people on the Jersey shore setting up video cameras with a view of the WTC BEFORE the first plane hit and then, apparently, expressing joy as they filmed the carnage. If this is the group which was referred to, they should answer a question or two
16 posted on 09/17/2001 11:37:51 AM PDT by p. henry
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 6 | View Replies]

Comment #17 Removed by Moderator

To: freeeee
Seems to me that this "puzzling behavior" is strong evidence that they knew what was going to happen. I'd arrest them. It's more than probable cause.
18 posted on 09/17/2001 11:45:54 AM PDT by The Old Hoosier
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

LOL. Seriously now. The JDL is an American organization as far as I know. Run by an American whos name escapes me. I don't think they had anything to do with either of the two acts you mentioned. Please provide a source or a link. I think this time you've gone off the deep end.
19 posted on 09/17/2001 11:46:40 AM PDT by monkeyshine
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 17 | View Replies]

Utter BULLSHIT! What organization do you represent with a comment like that?
20 posted on 09/17/2001 11:48:37 AM PDT by Silvertip
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 17 | View Replies]

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-6061-66 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson