Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Passengers likely halted attack on D.C.
USAToday.com ^ | 9/17/01 | John Ritter and Tom Kenworthy

Posted on 09/17/2001 3:40:51 PM PDT by gumbo

Edited on 04/13/2004 1:38:19 AM PDT by Jim Robinson. [history]

Unknown to each other, Jeremy Glick, Tom Burnett, Todd Beamer and Mark Bingham were just four businessmen boarding an early morning, cross-country flight. Thirty-something, successful, take-charge guys, fate brought them together on San Francisco-bound Flight 93 last Tuesday. Three of them had been scheduled to leave sooner.

(Excerpt) Read more at usatoday.com ...

TOPICS: News/Current Events
KEYWORDS:
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-25 next last
Sorry if this has been posted already. Did a search and couldn't find it under this title or under keywords.
1 posted on 09/17/2001 3:40:51 PM PDT by gumbo
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: gumbo
Sean Hannity read parts of this story on his radio show today.

I hadn't heard the name of Mr. Beamer yet, nor the story about his reciting the 23rd Psalm with the GTE supervisor who took the call from the plane.

2 posted on 09/17/2001 3:43:48 PM PDT by gumbo
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

This should read"Terrorist no match for Americans"
3 posted on 09/17/2001 3:50:07 PM PDT by Tigen

To: Tigen
Attention "FOX NEWS" get it straight...
4 posted on 09/17/2001 3:51:47 PM PDT by Tigen
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

To: Tigen
Let's roll bump for heros.
5 posted on 09/17/2001 3:53:26 PM PDT by Peach
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

This should be posted twice a day till the end of time. Anybody who whines about double-posting can bite me.
6 posted on 09/17/2001 3:53:34 PM PDT by HHFi

To: Good Summary of Plane Take-Back
Great article pulling all the participants together.

Tragic, but life saving, end for heros who started their day as you and I.

7 posted on 09/17/2001 3:58:33 PM PDT by KC Burke
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

BUMP!

Remember GLICK – BURNETT – BINGHAM – BEAMER - GARCIA - GUADAGNO - and possibly others unknown - Patriots who gave their lives to save other lives!).

8 posted on 09/17/2001 4:09:49 PM PDT by muffaletaman

So these ragheads trained for their mission for years and were defeated by some random free citizens with a few minutes to plan and act? Sounds like the militia already struck a blow against these clowns.
9 posted on 09/17/2001 4:17:13 PM PDT by E.Allen

The tight planning of the other crashes makes me 100 percent certain that 93 was headed for the White House.

I've flown in and out of Reagan National too many times to count. Even at the normal 150MPH descent speed, it's difficult to get a fix on smaller buildings, which the WH most certainly is (not much larger than a big suburban home).

The WH is surrounded by 4 to 9 story buildings in very close proximity on the west, north, and east. From any of those directions, spotting it (let alone hitting it) from low altitude at high speed would be daunting if not impossible. The only way to hit the 2-story WH would have been to come in from the south (over the Ellipse). A maniacal guy in a Cessna did this several years ago.

So to make this possible, the Pentagon attack went first to provide smoke and flame, and thus a clear sightline to the WH (just as the WTC attacks were carefully planned for maximum TV coverage). The cloud of smoke went up at least 1,000 feet within 3 minutes, and was overwhelmingly visible from my vantage point three miles away.

Take a look at any DC map. The line from the western side of the Pentagon to the Washington Monument need only be corrected by three degrees west to intersect directly with the WH.

These guys were planning to make a 180 degree turn around Culpepper, VA, and then come in low and fast from the south. Once within 5 or 10 miles of DC, they'd be able to use the Pentagon smoke and the Monument to put them directly on course to the WH. Then descend to low altitude and stay on an absolutely straight course to attack.

Although we'll never know for sure, Jeremy Glick, Tom Burnett, Todd Beamer and Mark Bingham probably deserve special remembrance in our national history.

10 posted on 09/17/2001 4:20:08 PM PDT by angkor

To: muffaletaman
I'll bet you the terrorist in the back, got mauled, got his a## kicked. Then our couragous American heros went up and beat the hell out of the other three. Middle eastern terrorists are no match for Americans. The taliban, binladen, and the rest of the terrorist hive, will find this out real soon.
11 posted on 09/17/2001 4:26:24 PM PDT by AdvisorB
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8 | View Replies]

To: angkor
Too many early reports from eyewitnesses on the group hearing loud "thumps" (possible missile impact or sonic booms) and possible aircraft in flames. Judging from the crash debris and impact zone, it is very likely the plane was in many pieces.

Too many variables to pinpoint aircraft being forced down by heroic passengers (although I would love to believe it). The Cheney denial while at the same time claiming F16 shootdowns were authorized point strongly to a coverup we've seen many times now. A loaded plane headed towards the White House "should have" been shot down, the passengers were doomed. Why not admit it instead of covering it up.

If any irregularities with the data Flight recorder surface be warned in advance. I'm just surprised at the media and how they have swept eyewitness accounts under the rug (where have we seen that before, TWA Flt 800?????)

12 posted on 09/17/2001 4:28:11 PM PDT by andertone
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 10 | View Replies]

Comment #13 Removed by Moderator

To: andertone
I like the heroic passenger story. It gives us something to be "happy" about... leave it at that...
14 posted on 09/17/2001 4:43:31 PM PDT by ambrose
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 12 | View Replies]

A FALLEN COMRADE

One of the many victims of the September 11, 2001 tragedy was from our Fish and Wildlife Service family. Richard Guadagno, Refuge Manager of the Humboldt Bay National Wildlife Refuge, was one of the people on board the hijacked United Airlines flight 93 that crashed in Stony Creek Township, Pennsylvania. Richard was returning from a vacation with his parents. He is survived by his parents and his sister.

From USF&WS: A FALLEN COMRADE

Flight 93 is the one where passengers possibly thwarted the hijackers efforts and possibly caused the crash into the field in Pennsylvania. Being in that profession I believe that He may have been involved in whatever actions passengers may have taken.

Our deepest sympathies go out to Rich's family, friends, and to the USF&WS for their loss!

One of our own Country Pond Fish and Game members and active Cowboy Shooters had the honor to be Rich's supervisor while in the Fish and Wildlife Service. He said that "I just know that Rich was in the thick of the struggle. He was that sort of an officer."

Ed, you have our sympathies as well! Thank you for notifying us.

We have lost a lot of Heroes in this tragedy!

15 posted on 09/17/2001 4:45:33 PM PDT by Bowana

LET'S ROLL!

16 posted on 09/17/2001 4:59:33 PM PDT by WIMom

Why not admit it instead of covering it up.

Ah!!!! The CTs found this thread!!

17 posted on 09/17/2001 5:00:36 PM PDT by TheDon

To: Mr.Smorch, Bonaparte
READ POST #11 IN THIS THREAD!

THE USS COLE FLOATS AGAIN

What Americans can do when they have to...

18 posted on 09/17/2001 5:04:54 PM PDT by muffaletaman
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 11 | View Replies]

To: Mr.Smorch
I'll bet you the terrorist in the back, got mauled, got his a## kicked.
Then our couragous American heros went up and beat the hell out of the other three.

I'm usually as calm and quiet as American males come...but I personally
like the thought that our lads got a few good hits in on this terrorist peckerwood, he fled
in terror up the aisle only to take a forearm in the throat from the rugby player up front.

Oh, and then got used as a shield to absorb any knife thrust tried by his fellow thug
guarding passengers.

And the sweetest thought is that the two guarding thugs got their craniums used as the
lead-end battering rams to open the locked door to the pilots cabin.

Really, I'm not a sadist. It's just that this is the kind of thing that should happen
to bad guys who terrorize decent, innocent people.
19 posted on 09/17/2001 5:13:43 PM PDT by VOA
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 11 | View Replies]

Too many variables to pinpoint aircraft being forced down by heroic passengers (although I would love to believe it).

According to my coworkers (not sure what news sources they used) the fighters were still a substantial distance from the plane when it went down; the fighters would almost certainly have stopped the plane had its passengers not done so, but even if the practical effect of those passengers was nil (plane would have been shot down even if they'd not resisted) I'd still like to see them be awarded the Congressional Medal of Freedom if there is any truth to their rushing the cockpit.

20 posted on 09/17/2001 6:16:20 PM PDT by supercat

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-25 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson