Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

"What do I tell the Pilot?"
National Review Online ^ | September 13, 2001 | Lucianne Goldberg

Posted on 09/17/2001 5:16:08 PM PDT by katherineisgreat

c Untitled Document

"What Do I Tell the Pilot?"
A patriot's story.

By Lucianne Goldberg,a syndicated talk-show host on Talk Radio Network & the publisher of the internet news forum Lucianne.com.
September 13, 2001 12:00 p.m.

e have never known anyone quite like her, this silky, brilliant, incandescently lovely, ferocious, charming woman. Barbara Olson, a heroine in life, a heroine in death, was murdered Tuesday morning in the blazing crash of a highjacked airliner exploding against the side of the Pentagon. The last words phoned to her beloved husband, Ted, were, "What do I tell the pilot to do?"
How like her to demand to take charge, to make things better, to set things right. That was the way she lived. But, this was not a head-to-head debate with some closed-minded suit. This was no TV show where a flick of her wheat shiny hair or crinkle of her cornflower eyes could turn away the savage wrath. Her brilliant mind, clicking to the last, could do nothing to save her life.
Barbara Olson was passionate about her beliefs and fearless as a mother tiger. She loved this country and loathed its detractors and despoilers with a relentless zeal. That was why she was on that plane - off to another venue to protect and defend what she held so dear. She had delayed her flight so as to have breakfast with her husband. It was his birthday.
The energy with which this girl-woman lived her life, the patriotic fervor with which she advanced and protected her deeply held beliefs leaves a shimmering example of what it means to be an American. On a personal level, one could know no more loyal friend, no sweeter advocate, no gentler, stronger soul.
She leaves behind a husband she adored, grandchildren-in-love she doted on, her legal career, her published work, her two big fluffy dogs, and a home she had built as a leafy redoubt to shelter them. She had more loving friends than any of us will have in a lifetime. Hers was a life lived in full but only by half. She was only 45.
To have had this sunny, funny, happy soul in our lives has enriched us all. To lose her in such a horrible, blinding, sickening flash of hatred and evil sickens the heart and seals the determination to use her life as an example of how it should be lived. And, as our bodies shiver for revenge, revenge, revenge against those who took her from us so early, so soon, we must look to her bravery as guidance for our own behavior. She would have wanted us to do. She would have told us to square the shoulders, lift the chin, and never, never, never give up doing the right thing even as our hearts ache with loss and anger.
Goodbye, Barbara. Hello, new angel. You shall not have died in vain. �

TOPICS: Editorial; News/Current Events
KEYWORDS:
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-23 next last
What a loss....
1 posted on 09/17/2001 5:16:08 PM PDT by katherineisgreat
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: katherineisgreat
Thanks. A most eloquent tribute to a great American. We shall all miss her.
2 posted on 09/17/2001 5:19:13 PM PDT by solzhenitsyn
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

I'm crying again.
3 posted on 09/17/2001 5:20:55 PM PDT by Brasil

We have never known anyone quite like her, this silky, brilliant, incandescently lovely, ferocious, charming woman. Barbara Olson, a heroine in life, a heroine in death, was murdered Tuesday morning in the blazing crash of a highjacked airliner exploding against the side of the Pentagon. The last words phoned to her beloved husband, Ted, were, "What do I tell the pilot to do?"

How like her to demand to take charge, to make things better, to set things right. That was the way she lived. But, this was not a head-to-head debate with some closed-minded suit. This was no TV show where a flick of her wheat shiny hair or crinkle of her cornflower eyes could turn away the savage wrath. Her brilliant mind, clicking to the last, could do nothing to save her life.

Barbara Olson was passionate about her beliefs and fearless as a mother tiger. She loved this country and loathed its detractors and despoilers with a relentless zeal. That was why she was on that plane — off to another venue to protect and defend what she held so dear. She had delayed her flight so as to have breakfast with her husband. It was his birthday.

The energy with which this girl-woman lived her life, the patriotic fervor with which she advanced and protected her deeply held beliefs leaves a shimmering example of what it means to be an American. On a personal level, one could know no more loyal friend, no sweeter advocate, no gentler, stronger soul.

She leaves behind a husband she adored, grandchildren-in-love she doted on, her legal career, her published work, her two big fluffy dogs, and a home she had built as a leafy redoubt to shelter them. She had more loving friends than any of us will have in a lifetime. Hers was a life lived in full but only by half. She was only 45.

To have had this sunny, funny, happy soul in our lives has enriched us all. To lose her in such a horrible, blinding, sickening flash of hatred and evil sickens the heart and seals the determination to use her life as an example of how it should be lived. And, as our bodies shiver for revenge, revenge, revenge against those who took her from us so early, so soon, we must look to her bravery as guidance for our own behavior. She would have wanted us to do. She would have told us to square the shoulders, lift the chin, and never, never, never give up doing the right thing even as our hearts ache with loss and anger.

Goodbye, Barbara. Hello, new angel. You shall not have died in vain.

4 posted on 09/17/2001 5:24:22 PM PDT by muffaletaman

Thanks for the post. I cried watching her funeral Saturday...I'm crying again. A tribute to freeper BKO.... Not only was she special...she was a freeper too....
5 posted on 09/17/2001 5:25:58 PM PDT by dutchess

What a loss....

sigh.

to have breakfast with her husband, because it was his birthday.

there, but for the grace.... sigh.

6 posted on 09/17/2001 5:25:58 PM PDT by glock rocks

Thanks for posting this and thanks to Lucianne for this beautiful tribute to Barbara. We will surely all miss her. She is indeed a beautiful new angel.
7 posted on 09/17/2001 5:32:34 PM PDT by Irma

To: Brasil
I'm crying again.

Me, too! I just loved it when she was on TV. She made us feel like we really knew her. I can't wait to read her new book.

8 posted on 09/17/2001 5:34:26 PM PDT by lonestar
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

To: glock rocks
Ted Olsen told on Larry King that when he got home he found a note on his bed pillow from Barbara saying that she loved him and she would return on Friday. That is heartbreaking.
9 posted on 09/17/2001 5:38:56 PM PDT by Paul Atreides
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 6 | View Replies]

To: Paul Atreides
what really stinks is that I don't get cable so I never "met" her. I know I would have loved her. My aunt broke down when she heard.
10 posted on 09/17/2001 6:04:01 PM PDT by katherineisgreat
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 9 | View Replies]

That was a beautiful tribute.
11 posted on 09/17/2001 6:14:00 PM PDT by truthkeeper

To: katherineisgreat, lonestar
I know you WOULD have loved her. I think lonestar said it best.....

She made us feel like we really knew her.

12 posted on 09/17/2001 6:16:06 PM PDT by Irma
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 10 | View Replies]

What a great tribute! "Only" 45 -- she honestly looked 30 something to me. This woman lived more in her short life than I dare to dream of. Good for her. She can rest in peace, knowing that her death and the deaths of thousands have united the country behind the president she so nobly defended.
13 posted on 09/17/2001 6:22:42 PM PDT by soccermom

Ohhhh -- how sweet! Leaving notes on the pillow like a newly-wed.
14 posted on 09/17/2001 6:24:46 PM PDT by soccermom
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 9 | View Replies]

To: Irma
and the truth is in a way we really did know her- or those that saw her did- because she was real- unlike Hillary, she didn't have spinners and image makers, she was true.
15 posted on 09/17/2001 6:25:25 PM PDT by katherineisgreat
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 12 | View Replies]

I am sorry to say that I didn't get to see much of her either. I don't get Fox News and I stay on the net more than television. I wish I had seen more of her. She had one of those faces that just seemed to tell us that she would be an instant friend.
16 posted on 09/17/2001 6:54:57 PM PDT by Paul Atreides
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 10 | View Replies]

One of the last comments she made here on Free Republic was: "so much activity, so little time." That just broke my heart. She will be missed. God, hold her tight.
17 posted on 09/17/2001 7:52:54 PM PDT by WVNan
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 16 | View Replies]

Just reading this has made me cry again!

The bastards who did these evil acts snuffed out so many thousands but the tragic death of this sweet spakling woman has given a face (for me) to the unspeakable horror all America witnessed.

When I heard that she was on the plane that hit the Pentagon....my tears began to fall as I moved from panic & anxiety to grief.....she was a Freeper and therefore although I never met her, she was my friend.

18 posted on 09/17/2001 8:05:16 PM PDT by JulieRNR21

To: katherineisgreat, Jim Robinson, Alamo-Girl
Barbara Olsen was also known to some as Freeper BKO, and likely also deserves commeration on the FReeper Memorial page with other Absent Comrades, though of course the date of her passing well be particularly well and long remembered.

Barbara K Olsen,
FReeper BKO
, Born 1955, died 11 September 2001 at the Pentagon.

Anyone know if any other Freepers were similarly lost at that or the other crash sites that day? At least one other FReeper was murdered a few months back.

-archy-/-

19 posted on 09/18/2001 1:41:04 PM PDT by archy (archy@hyperchat.com)

To: YaYa123
I thought you'd like to see this...
20 posted on 09/18/2001 1:46:51 PM PDT by MrConfettiMan
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 19 | View Replies]

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-23 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson