Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Anti-IMF Protest Organizers Shift Focus to Peace Demonstrations
Bloomberg.com ^ | 9/17/01 | Emily Schwartz

Posted on 09/17/2001 10:03:38 PM PDT by kattracks

Edited on 07/19/2004 2:08:36 PM PDT by Jim Robinson. [history]

Washington, Sept. 17 (Bloomberg) -- Some groups that planned to demonstrate against the International Monetary Fund and World Bank meetings later this month are still coming to Washington with a new target: U.S. retaliation against terrorists.

The IMF and World Bank today called off their annual meetings in Washington scheduled for Sept. 29 and 30 amid heightened security risks after last week's terrorist attacks.

(Excerpt) Read more at quote.bloomberg.com ...

TOPICS: Front Page News; News/Current Events
KEYWORDS:
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021 next last

1 posted on 09/17/2001 10:03:38 PM PDT by kattracks
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: kattracks
Oh boy, here it goes. Back-packing dregs of society.
2 posted on 09/17/2001 10:06:35 PM PDT by Lent
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

our own human shields.
3 posted on 09/17/2001 10:07:32 PM PDT by Anonymous2

This is the start of something worst than the IMF Protest.
4 posted on 09/17/2001 10:10:51 PM PDT by TLBSHOW

Any cause, any deed, so long as it's anti-American. These groups are quickly becoming irrelevent.
5 posted on 09/17/2001 10:11:43 PM PDT by onyx

To: Anonymous2
yes, these guys sound like good candidates for bullet stoppers in the front-somewhere in afganistan..
6 posted on 09/17/2001 10:11:59 PM PDT by wafflehouse
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

Gezzz, Their idea is super. peace demonstrations, just their locations are screwed up. How about in Bagdad, the west bank, Afganistan, Syria. They should also take that, give me liberty or give me death and edit it for us. Give us LIFE and liberty or we will give you death. That would be a well placed and spoken peace message
7 posted on 09/17/2001 10:15:16 PM PDT by meducksguy

War preparations should begin on these POS when they show up. Cuff these pantywaists around a bit just for a warm up for the main event.
8 posted on 09/17/2001 10:22:01 PM PDT by L`enn

How can they do a "Peace Demonstration" when they have a hard time and a poor record of being peaceful demonstrators themselves?
9 posted on 09/17/2001 10:24:31 PM PDT by FranklinsTower

I was really mad when I saw this on the other thread. I wrote a rant to the AFL-CIO website and basically told them to forget about member support, if they agreed with these nut-jobs "new focus"

See Rant here:

http://www.freerepublic.com/forum/a3ba4d94420eb.htm#133

I screwed up one part and said the constitution could be suspended during war when I should have said writ of Habeas Corpus can be suspended. I was trying to imply that given the situation, they could be held in jail before trial. I'm not absolutely sure if that's true, but I was mad when I wrote it.

10 posted on 09/17/2001 10:43:41 PM PDT by Helix

Since the attacks, there have been more than 350 incidents of threats, harassment and violence against Muslims in the U.S., according to the Washington-based Council on American-Islamic Relations.

Considering that the United States has a population of 285,000,000 and over 5,000 American civilians were slaughtered in cold blood, the fact that these people can only scrouge up only 350 "incidents", the vast majority of them not involving actual physical violence, demontrates that the United States is one H*ll of a tolerant country.

If this had happened in an Islamic country, rivers of blood would be flowing in the streets.

11 posted on 09/17/2001 10:56:37 PM PDT by Polybius

To: Helix
the afl-cio has pulled out of all events, be they marches for global justice or teach ins about the global economy.
12 posted on 09/17/2001 11:05:13 PM PDT by gfactor
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 10 | View Replies]

To: gfactor
Thank you for the info. You made me feel much better. I was hoping they wouldn't support the anti-war protests.
13 posted on 09/17/2001 11:18:21 PM PDT by Helix
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 12 | View Replies]

We have to take the initiative now and strike back viciously and visibly. Because if we don't I predict the NEXT attack on us will be far far worse than Nine-One-One was. The terrorists scored on that planned attack. Do you think moderation on our part will now satisfy their fanatic hate-filled hearts?

I say they have had the taste of our blood, and we have to kill them or suffer worse indignity next time. And you fear retaliation?

The argument goes like this: If we do nothing, they'll be back. If we go after them, they might retaliate. So what's the question?

Let's rumble.

14 posted on 09/17/2001 11:19:15 PM PDT by NetValue

the protest groups have split. The ones the afl-cio was initially involved with have decided to not have their march, only their education seminar stuff, as they have made plans to bring speakers from several parts of the world. Other groups were planning on protesting "bush's corporate policies and the IMF/WB", these are the one switching to "racism and war". The afl-cio never had any plans to participate in these second events.
15 posted on 09/17/2001 11:29:13 PM PDT by gfactor
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 13 | View Replies]

Habeas corpus means bringing a person to a court to face charges. Otherwise, there is a limited amount of time you can hold a person without trial. In the Civil War, Lincoln suspended habeas corpus and put southern sympathizers in jail. I don't know for how long however. It was the opinion of the Supreme Court at the time that only Congress can suspend habeas corpus. Lincoln ignored the order of the Supreme Court.

I am not sure if habeas corpus was suspended in other wars.

16 posted on 09/17/2001 11:35:56 PM PDT by Gladwin
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 10 | View Replies]

To: Gladwin
Thank you! I thought it was Lincoln who used this. I'd been looking for confirmation of that today, but hadn't been able to find it.
17 posted on 09/17/2001 11:46:08 PM PDT by Helix
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 16 | View Replies]

I'm something of an anti-globalist myself, but I am dismayed at this group. First, they can hold the demonstration anyway just to remind eveyone about their concerns with the WTO. Even better, they can have an anti-terrorism demonstration. Or a "We support the President" or "Give funds to the relief effort." But anti-justice? Pro Bin-Laden????? They just lost my support completely and I'm sure they lost lots of other suport as well.
18 posted on 09/17/2001 11:47:58 PM PDT by TennesseeProfessor

To: studentintexas
I wonder if these kids realize the level of pure RAGE in this country? This could very likely end very badly for the "Starbuck warriors".
19 posted on 09/17/2001 11:51:48 PM PDT by Texasforever
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 18 | View Replies]

Bump for a later, more thorough read.
20 posted on 09/17/2001 11:57:41 PM PDT by NotJustAnotherPrettyFace

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson