Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

A Letter to the Airlines
Sierra Times Update ^ | 09/18/01 | J. J. Johnson / Nancy Johnson

Posted on 09/18/2001 8:18:12 AM PDT by Jefferson Adams

The following letter is being sent to every U.S. passenger commercial air carrier. Feel free to foward.

Dear Airline Executives,

My wife and I are both "Rapid Reward" customers with Southwest Airlines. We are also both Delta Airline "Skymiles" customers, and have used such Skymiles in the past. This letter is to inform all of you why we will not be using any U.S. domestic passenger air carrier any time in the future.

On September 11, 2001 we witnessed many of our fellow air travelers - our fellow American, while defenseless, turned into helpless onlookers on a Boeing 757 cruise missile - pointed at key American targets. Since then, the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has mandated newer, tougher security measures to ensure safer air travel. Then we learned from Vice President Dick Cheney that Reagan National Airport will be closed indefinitely because there is too much risk to important government buildings in Washington D.C. - even after the new FAA regulations. (NBC Meet the Press Sunday 09.16.01)

Meaning to us - airline travel isn't safe yet.

In fact, Airline travel is as 'safe' as it has always been. There are signs in airports that state even 'joking' about such things as bombs and guns could find a person in a lot of trouble. I have even witnessed this policy enforced. In the time it was enforced, it was because of two air travelers mocking the existing security protocol - and for good reason.

After each air disaster, we were told that new security measures were in place to ensure passenger safety. Most of us believed them. Some of us did not, but assumed the risk anyway. But as you can see by your recent ticket sales and cancellation of reservations (threatening to bankrupt many of you), and the known fact that more foreigners were trained for the expressed purposed of one-way joy rides to death and destruction on U.S. commercial aircraft, we simply can't trust our personal safety in the hands of the FAA any longer.

We do trust your pilots. And we enjoyed the services of all the flight attendants, baggage handlers, ticket counter personnel, car rental employees, travel agents, aircraft mechanics, information booth persons, cab drivers, shuttle drivers, hotel employees, food staff, and other miscellaneous personnel - many of whom will soon be out of work, if you insist on following the new FAA guidelines. Not to mention the crippling loss of revenue you are facing now.

It does not have to come to this.

It seems that whenever the airlines and the FAA sit down to discuss security, the potential victims are always omitted from the discussion. Our goal is to change that.

We are not advocating an agenda per-se, nor is this a economic threat. We represent no group, organization or special interest. We are just two of the 1.3 million American air travelers each day. These proposed regulations are being strongly suggested for the sole purpose of personal, airline and national security interests.

Below is a proposed draft of legislation that we are asking all airline executives to take under very serious consideration. I can also add that you have a database of air travelers (frequent flyers, rapid rewards, Skymiles, etc) that you know and trust. Many of these air travelers are gun owners. We know this from talking to many of them during air travel stops, and especially after September 11, 2001. Many of these persons have already gone through rigorous background checks, and yes - do own firearms. I can assure you that many of them (after training supervised by your airline) would gladly volunteer for such an armed passenger program as a last line of defense against such attacks.

After speaking with government officials this morning (09.17.01) I was informed that the FAA would probably not even consider such a proposal. That is why we are not asking them. We are asking you.

The proposals listed below are a good way to ensure that the 55,000 takeoffs a day would have trained, responsible personnel aboard all commercial air traffic. Yes, we want to fly your airlines. We want to be free to roam the county. We want to fly the freindly skies again. We listened to the FAA, and again - we're picking up the pieces.

Hoping to catch a flight with an FBI agent, U.S. Marshall or U.S. Air Marshall is the equivalent of playing a game of Russian Roulette. This is simply unacceptable, and we cannot and will not subject ourselves or our loved ones through this. Until the proposals listed below are put into place, we are asking for a full refund of all tickets previously purchased for future air flight, and a 'refusal to board any commercial aircraft' commitment from all law-abiding gun owners in the United States of America, and others who agree with our position.

Of course, you don't have to take this letter seriously, figuring we're only a small minority. But as you can see, we are voting (and traveling) with our feet right now.

Sincerely, J.J. & Nancy Johnson

Frequent Flyers (and your last line of defense)

we can be reached at editor@sierratimes.com

=============================================

Proposed is federal legislation, which may be called the "Airline Safety and Anti-terrorism Act of 2001", that would accomplish the following:

A. Remove all current prohibitions concerning carrying firearms on commercial aircraft for certain persons considered to be "air safety assets" under certain conditions, and to exempt these people from punishment by local and state laws where airplanes upon which they are riding may land, as follows:

1. Persons identified as an "air safety asset" who may be called a "sky guard" include:

a. any current, sworn, law enforcement officer for any federal, state or local agency, and

b. any person with a permit to carry a concealed weapon issued by any state, or by any local agency under the authority of a state, and

c. any person who is a classified handgun competitor under the rules of the United States Practical Shooting Association or the International Defensive Pistol Association.

2. Persons not eligible to be a "sky guard" include:

a. persons who are not eligible to possess firearms under federal law, and

b. persons who are not yet 18 years of age, and

c. persons who are not legal citizens of the United States as a result of

birth or naturalization. [ADDMENED: any one the captain of the aircraft deems un-appropriate for such duty]

3. The Federal Aviation Administration must accomplish the following:

a. originate and publish within six weeks a brief manual, called a "sky guard briefing" which explains the fragility and weak points of commercial aircraft, which aircraft parts may be susceptible to dangerous disruption from either gunfire or terrorist activity, and which explains several most recommended tactics for defeating terrorists onboard aircraft, and

b. publish this manual as a paperback book, which must be available to persons qualified to serve as sky guards at a reasonable cost or at no cost, and

c. devise a system of signals whereby any sky guard flying on a particular aircraft may be identified under emergency conditions by other sky guards flying on that particular aircraft.

4. Conditions under which any qualified persons would be allowed to carry firearms on commercial aircraft departing from and arriving at destinations on U.S. soil, and the soil of U.S. allies which accept this arrangement, are:

a. when the person is carrying a firearm that is concealed from view and simple detection by casual observers, and

b. when the firearm being carried is loaded only with frangible ammunition, such as Glaser Safety Slugs or the equivalent, and

c. when the sky guard certifies that he or she has read the sky guard briefing and understands the contents, and

d. when the sky guard consumes no alcohol or mind-altering substances at all within 12 hours before travel, or during travel where the person serves as a sky guard.

B. Persons serving as sky guards:

1. Would serve in a voluntary (unpaid) capacity, and

2. Would be exempt from local or state laws restricting their ability to possess firearms along their route of travel, and at any location on the ground along their route of travel for a period of 72 hours between landing and departure, and

3. Both commercial airlines, and sky guards not acting with gross negligence, would be held harmless under law for the acts or omissions of sky guards serving voluntarily and while traveling on commercial aircraft or while in air terminals during travel.

C. The prerogatives and duties of sky guards while serving in that capacity would be limited to defeating any attempt to wrest control of a commercial aircraft from the airline crew, and to interfere with any person aboard a commercial aircraft who presents an immediate threat of loss of life to any crew member or passenger of a commercial aircraft upon which the sky guard is a passenger. The duties and prerogatives of a sky guard specifically would not include the use of a firearm or brandishing of a firearm to subdue an unruly passenger who does not pose a threat of loss of life to any crew member or passenger.

SierraTimes.com
An Internet Publication for Real Americans.
©2001 Sierra Times.com - All Rights Reserved

TOPICS: Culture/Society; Miscellaneous
KEYWORDS:
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-60 next last

1 posted on 09/18/2001 8:18:12 AM PDT by Jefferson Adams
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: Jefferson Adams
I think this is an excellent idea - and the power of FReepdom to ensure that it reaches a LOT of people (including the airlines, many many times) is mind-boggling. Let's get this out there, people.
2 posted on 09/18/2001 8:20:06 AM PDT by Jefferson Adams
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

BUMP!!!
3 posted on 09/18/2001 8:26:10 AM PDT by Jefferson Adams

And another BUMP!!!
4 posted on 09/18/2001 8:26:42 AM PDT by Jefferson Adams

To: Jeff Head, Mercuria, Travis McGee
Let's get this out there!
5 posted on 09/18/2001 8:27:27 AM PDT by Jefferson Adams

No Way. I've seen the people who take CCW classes and I wouldn't let them walk my dog. Change the CCW section to people who have gone through the same self-defense firearms training as federal Sky MArshall and are certified. Then 'Deputize' them while they are flying. Self defense on a crowded airplane at 35,000 ft is not the same scenario as the CCW 15 hour, hit a 5 yard paper target. Everyone who has a CCW permit IS NOT qualified to fly with a firearm and I'd just as soon have them put their guns in checked luggage.
6 posted on 09/18/2001 8:27:36 AM PDT by tbeatty

To: Squantos, Harpseal, Critter
Let's get this out there!
7 posted on 09/18/2001 8:28:22 AM PDT by Jefferson Adams

When guns are outlawed.....

Only law-abiding people won't be armed on airplanes.

: (Hey! Then we'll be able to know who the bad guys are, right?!!)

8 posted on 09/18/2001 8:29:03 AM PDT by ppaul
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

Can anyone say "rapid decompression"?
9 posted on 09/18/2001 8:31:02 AM PDT by Lockbox

I originally thought this idea was the dumbest thing I'd heard since one of my friends said he believed billary. Now that I've had time to think about it, its starting to sound a lot better. There's a lot of vets like me who've had the training, gotten security clearances, and have CCW permits. Give us glazer rounds and let us carry weapons on board and you'd create a lot of uncertainty for anyone who wants to hijack a plane.

The other alternative is to have armed pilots and a guy sitting in front of the cockpit door with a shotgun.

10 posted on 09/18/2001 8:31:21 AM PDT by anothergrunt

To: tbeatty
Ab-so-f'ing-lutely!
11 posted on 09/18/2001 8:32:33 AM PDT by wienerdog.com
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 6 | View Replies]

To: Lockbox
Can anyone say "rapid decompression"?

a) Frangible bullets will not cause decompression

b) the whole "explosive decompression" thing is, according to a lot of people, nonsense. Airliners already have vents larger than a bullet hole, and they still remain pressurized

12 posted on 09/18/2001 8:36:31 AM PDT by Jefferson Adams
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 9 | View Replies]

To: tbeatty
No Way. I've seen the people who take CCW classes and I wouldn't let them walk my dog.

The letter specifies that the Sky Guards would be trained and certified by the airline. They would obviously have the authority to say who is qualified and who isn't.

13 posted on 09/18/2001 8:38:17 AM PDT by Jefferson Adams
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 6 | View Replies]

A Glazer Safety Slug bump to you....
14 posted on 09/18/2001 8:38:59 AM PDT by MileHi

As many of you know, I help with the FreeRepublic fundraisers. It is not always easy or fun sitting at a computer for hours and hours monitoring those threads. Everyone who work the threads VOLUNTEERS to do so. We send days and weeks helping to keep FreeRepublic running.

Ask yourself these questions:

Where is the first place I go to get my news?
Am I getting any benefit from FreeRepublic?
Am I learning from FreeRepublic?

FreeRepublic is not free. It costs Jim Robinson tens of thousands of dollars to keep this forum running. There are over 60,000 registered users on FreeRepublic and only 1,000 help keep this forum running. Those who do not have the ability to donate money could help by bumping the threads once in a while. Those who who do should be ashamed of yourselves. You are a FReeploader.

Go ahead, flame me. I don't care. I contribute to FreeRepublic, and I for one do not want to see this forum dead.

If everyone who registered donated one measly dollar a month, we would never have to have a fundraiser again.

FreeRepublic Fundraiser --WE WILL STAND UNITED!!!-- We NEED YOUR HELP AND PATRIOTIC POSTS! Thread 67

Donate Here by Secure Server

Or Mail your check to:

FreeRepublic , LLC
PO BOX 9771
FRESNO, CA 93794

To donate By Paypal:

Send PayPal direct to JimRob@psnw.com

15 posted on 09/18/2001 8:39:26 AM PDT by WIMom

Your safety does not depend on who likes you. It only depends on who fears you.

If mutually assured destruction on a national basis prevented a nuclear war for over 50 years, how is that proof that it is unworkable at the individual level?

Just think what our life would be like if our security was in the hands of Mr. Rodgers, Barney and the gang at Sesame street. The fact is nearly everone in charge of anything today had their attitudes set by one of these three TV shows.

If the deer leave the forest and go to the meadows, where do the hunters go?

16 posted on 09/18/2001 8:39:44 AM PDT by Common Tator

The only problem I have with this is that it focuses on the airline aspect of this attack rather than the attack itself. These terrorists simply used the planes in this attack because they could -- if passenger aircraft were not vulnerable, they would have used something else (car or truck bomb, chemical or biological agent, etc.). If you think you're going to solve anything by protecting airline passengers from similar attacks in the future, you're being naive.

The only way to deal with this problem is to keep all foreign nationals under constant surveillance. If the FBI won't do it, then we have to do it ourselves.

17 posted on 09/18/2001 8:41:20 AM PDT by Alberta's Child

Gonna take some thought, back to ya later......Stay Safe.
18 posted on 09/18/2001 8:42:39 AM PDT by Squantos

Any business that prohibits, as a matter of policy, its own customers from defending themselves(airlines that prohibit passengers carrying handguns), assumes that responsibility for itself in safeguarding them.

I hope the airlines get sued plenty for not protecting those passengers.

19 posted on 09/18/2001 8:43:08 AM PDT by waterstraat

The is the only thing that won't be tried because it gives power and freedome back to the American people.
20 posted on 09/18/2001 9:11:48 AM PDT by zeugma

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-60 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson