Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Laura Bush appears on Oprah show urging parents to talk to children about terrorist attacks
AP ^ | 9/18/2001 | AP

Posted on 09/18/2001 9:55:19 AM PDT by TLBSHOW

Laura Bush appears on Oprah show urging parents to talk to children about terrorist attacks

CHICAGO (AP)

First lady Laura Bush said on Tuesday's "Oprah Winfrey Show" that parents should read to their children at night, share meals with them and keep a calm atmosphere at home so youngsters feel safe following the terrorist attacks. "It's so important to let children talk as well, instead of just talking to them," she said.

Tuesday's show focused on helping parents explain the attacks to their children.

The first lady urged parents to "put their arms around their children and reassure them," and said parents should be patient when children ask repeated questions about the attacks.

"It might become a little irritating, but try to realize that they are trying to cope with the same feelings as adults," she said.

"Of course we can't explain terrorism. We really can't. It's just a horrible, evil thing, but one good thing out of this is we've seen so much good."

TOPICS: News/Current Events
KEYWORDS:

1 posted on 09/18/2001 9:55:19 AM PDT by TLBSHOW
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: TLBSHOW
A BUMP for a REAL First Lady!
2 posted on 09/18/2001 9:59:48 AM PDT by Pokey78
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

Bump for our First Lady who understands that parents are responsible for the children.
3 posted on 09/18/2001 10:03:29 AM PDT by Ruth A.

big bump for the first lady. Last tuesday nite, I had to have this discussion with my 6 yr old son. After all this, he was afraid his mom, who is active duty navy, would "have to go away for a long time". He amazes me sometime that even at 6 yrs old, he has a grasp of what's going on..and what a response from us is going to mean to him...God bless him!
4 posted on 09/18/2001 10:20:10 AM PDT by Bottom_Gun

I will have to go home at noon to set the VCR to tape that show. I bet Laura came across as the very warm, caring human being that she is. Very different from the calculated "for the children" mouthing of Hillary when it is really about power for herself.
5 posted on 09/18/2001 10:28:17 AM PDT by CedarDave

How did Oprah treat Laura?
6 posted on 09/18/2001 10:31:37 AM PDT by MississippiMan

To: all
Laura Bush is a class act. And she looked especially stunning at the National Cathedral. Someone is helping her with good advice.
7 posted on 09/18/2001 10:41:34 AM PDT by mwl1
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 6 | View Replies]

Our First Lady is all class. What a winner!!
8 posted on 09/18/2001 10:45:47 AM PDT by kassie (God Bless America)

And another bump. This is not only important for our own children, but for all the children in public school.

Keep them in your prayers too. After all, they are our next generation

9 posted on 09/18/2001 10:47:50 AM PDT by Salvation

and isn't it good to hear someone say aloud that what children think and want to know is worth listening to? What a difference from all the obnoxious sources telling us what propanganda to pound into their little heads -- as if they were totally empty of thought.
10 posted on 09/18/2001 11:40:20 AM PDT by Temple Drake

Now that is a First Lady!
11 posted on 09/18/2001 11:54:31 AM PDT by NewsMama

To: Ruth A.

My dear brother and sister FReepers,

At this, of all times in my lifetime, I would like nothing more than to be able to read these threads and reply to them.  I have much I would like to say.

BUT, I cannot!

Why?

Because I am trying hard to raise the finances needed to keep FreeRepublic up and running so that we can continue to share valuable information and respond to it.

I beg you, if you have not yet donated to FreeRepublic this quarter,  do so now!

I realize you are giving to lots of Relief efforts and I encourage you to do so.  But we need to help FR too.  Where would we be right now without it?

If you have no money, please come and bump the Fundraiser Thread.

I would really like to reach our goal quickly so that I and the rest of the dedicated FReepers who are working the Fundraiser Threads can participate in what is undeniably the most important time in FreeRepublic's history.

FreeRepublic Fundraiser --WE WILL STAND UNITED!!!-- We NEED YOUR HELP AND PATRIOTIC POSTS! <--click here

Support FreeRepublic! Support the U.S.A. <--click here

12 posted on 09/18/2001 12:52:39 PM PDT by 2ndMostConservativeBrdMember
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson