Skip to comments.

Let's Roll
The American Partisan ^ | 19 September, 2001 | Jennifer King

Posted on 09/19/2001 12:58:17 PM PDT by The Right Stuff

"The Heretical Housewife"

September 19, 2001

Let's Roll
by Jennifer King

Amidst the tragedy and horror of last Tuesday, tales are emerging of intense heroism and personal sacrifice. Tales which showcase the ability of human beings to act with great nobility and courage under dire and unimaginable hardship.

There were office workers, who refused to evacuate until they made sure all of their colleagues were accounted for. There were businessmen and women, who returned to the doomed buildings in order to search for friends. There were the heroic NYC firefighters and policemen, stampeding into the crumbling buildings that others were evacuating, in a frantic search to save as many as possible. There were the workers who bodily carried handicapped colleagues down many flights of stairs, at great potential cost to themselves.

And then, there were the men of Flight 93. Their names; Jeremy Glick, Tom Burnett, Todd Beamer and Mark Bingham. Just regular, young businessmen, on their way to San Francisco. Thrown together by an act of fate. They probably didn’t even speak to one another, perhaps hadn’t yet met one another, while the uneventful flight proceeded for an hour and the flight attendants served breakfast at 30,000 feet.

Suddenly, just shy of Cleveland, the plane veered suddenly south. The hijackers had taken over. Todd Beamer, 32, an Oracle executive from Hightstown, New Jersey, picked up an airphone and contacted a GTE supervisor. Beamer said that hijackers, wielding knives and threatening to blow up the plane with a bomb, had herded 26 passengers into first class. Beamer, nine others and the five flight attendants were ordered to sit in back. Beamer did not know what had happened to the pilots.

Beamer received the information about the World Trade Center crashes from the GTE supervisor, Lisa Jefferson. Other passengers were also phoning out. Jeremy Glick, 31, an Internet company executive, had phoned his wife at her parents home. Glick’s wife, Lyz, confirmed that other hijacked planes had been used as flying bombs by suicidal terrorists. He told her that he and other passengers were formulating a plan to stop the terrorists on board their plane, and that the terrorists had already ruthlessly stabbed one person to death. He calmly discussed his own impending demise, told her he hoped she would have a nice life. He told her how much he loved her and their 12-week old daughter.

Tom Burnett, 38, an executive at a Pleasanton, California medical products company, phoned his wife, Deena, four times. In his last call, he told her that he and a group of passengers were going to do "something" about the terrorists. Mark Bingham, 31, owner of a San Francisco public relations company, phoned his mother in Saratoga. Bingham had sat with Burnett in first class, but didn’t mention any proactive role to his mother. However, his mother is sure that the 6 foot 5 rugby player was actively involved in any attempt to overthrow the terrorists, basing her contention on Bingham’s active roles previously in disarming muggers and righting other wrongs perpetrated on innocent people.

Others who may have participated include Andrew Garcia, 62, of Portola Valley, California and Richard Guadagno, 38, from Eureka, California, a refuge manager for the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, who also had federal law enforcement training. Todd Beamer was still on the phone with Lisa Jefferson. He asked her to pray with him and together they recited the 23rd Psalm. Beamer asked Jefferson to phone his wife, pregnant with their third child. He told Jefferson that he and others were going to "jump on" the hijacker with the bomb, who was guarding the passengers in the back. He mentioned Jeremy Glick by name. Then, Beamer dropped the phone. Jefferson distinctly heard Beamer say, "Let’s Roll", sounds of scuffling and screams, and then, silence.

Jeremy Glick’s phone was still open, too. His father-in-law listened and heard screams in the background, silence, more screams and then nothing.

Witnesses on the ground report that the plane wobbled hard left, then right, and then nosedived into the field, a report consistent with the scenario of passengers wrestling with the hijackers.

Reportedly, F-16s flying over Washington were ready to intercept the plane, had it invaded Washington’s airspace despite orders to stand down. U.S. military pilots would have faced the unenviable task of gunning down their innocent fellow countrymen, in order to prevent another fuel bomb from taking out a national monument or the White House. The actions of those brave, doomed, passengers prevented that.

Some professional pilots have also theorized that the White House was indeed the target, and that the previous Pentagon crash was to provide the incoming plane with a visual sighting. Coming in from Culpepper, Virginia, they would have been able to fly low and fast from the south, using the smoke and the Washington monument to line a bead on the White House and strike a fatal blow from that low altitude. We’ll never know, but those passengers had a hand in preventing this, too.

The actions of Glick, Beamer, Burnett, Bingham, Garcia and Guadagno showed why terrorism is inevitably doomed to failure. Because the inexorable longing of the human soul is to be free, and there will always be those among us who will fight, courageously and tenaciously, rather than submit to tyranny. Who will die, bravely and defiantly, rather than submit to cringing defeat.

Real American manhood, and manly characteristics such as chivalry, pride and bravery have been under assault for many years in this country. They were reborn, gloriously, on Flight 93. May it remain so. ***

© 2001 Jennifer King
· Image of Presidential Seal courtesy of The White House

__________________________________ "Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say, 'What should be the reward of such sacrifices?' Bid us and our posterity bow the knee, supplicate the friendship, and plough, and sow, and reap, to glut the avarice of the men who have let loose on us the dogs of war to riot in our blood and hunt us from the face of the earth? If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!" --Samuel Adams

TOPICS: Editorial; News/Current Events
KEYWORDS:
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041 next last

1 posted on 09/19/2001 12:58:17 PM PDT by The Right Stuff
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: The Right Stuff
No words I, or any other man, can say can increase by an iota the glory of the names Glick, Beamer, Burnett, Bingham, Garcia and Guadagno.

May the Lord God grant me the grace to live up to their example. Amen.

2 posted on 09/19/2001 1:19:28 PM PDT by Iris7
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

Tom Burnett
Jeremy Glick
Todd Beamer

3 posted on 09/19/2001 1:37:02 PM PDT by Joe Brower

John 15:13 - Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends.
4 posted on 09/19/2001 1:43:52 PM PDT by InvisibleChurch

To: ALL
President is on NOW, he said that he will be addressing Congress tomorrow
5 posted on 09/19/2001 1:45:27 PM PDT by CELTICGAEL (Celt)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

To: CELTICGAEL (Celt)
It will be a Joint Session of Congress tomorrow night!!
6 posted on 09/19/2001 1:47:08 PM PDT by CELTICGAEL (Celt)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

To: Iris7
Let the American fe-man be .... NO MORE
7 posted on 09/19/2001 1:50:00 PM PDT by clamper1797
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

To: Joe Brower
I didn't think my "esteem" for these men could get any higher after first hearing accounts of their bravery. But as I sit here crying, I'm so proud. I'm so sad their families have lost them, and can only imagine the comfort that they must feel knowing their sons, husbands, brothers, and dads were HERO'S!!! This is the "EPITOMY" of courage, and bravery.

They did indeed lay down their lives for their fellow men (as in mankind), and I'm sure that "THEY" ARE SITTING WITH GOD TODAY!!!

We have these men, and we have the Firefighters, policemen and rescue personell, that have just shown the World what "real" hero's are!!! Now we are seeing the faces of them, and it is just heartbreaking.

Dang I'm proud of America!!! So many brave brave people living here. We are truly a blessed country.

Then we have cowards who stab people in the back that have paid us a horrific visit. The cowards who died aren't fit to lick the feet of the hero's of this attack.

The spirit of these people who died for others in America, the real men, must never leave us.

God Bless them, their families, and the country they died to defend!!! I'm sure as things get settled, they will get the Civilian equivalent to the Medal of Honor. I apologize for not remembering the name of it. But I do know it exists. They have earned it and more. But mostly the love and appreciation of a grateful Nation.

8 posted on 09/19/2001 2:08:03 PM PDT by Vets_Husband_and_Wife
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

Tuesday there were many elections taking place all over the United States.
Most of them were small, municipal and county elections. Votes were made on
subjects ranging from who would be able to claim the candidacy of a
particular party for a particular forthcoming election, to the winning of
such seats a councilperson or mayor.

But there was one vote taken that was not scheduled. No seat on any city
council was up for grabs. No amount of campaign support was at stake. No
determination on curfew, noise limits for parties, or whether or not a stop
sign was being put up at an intersection was being decided. No scheduled
vote was intended to affect the nation as a whole. But one did.

On a speeding aircraft, only partially filled, somewhere over the farms of
Pennsylvania, a vote was taken. No other vote count was so heartwrenching.
No other question so important was decided in these wide lands by so few.
And their franchise claimed such a price, a price no person should ever
again be forced to pay.

Three men spoke to their loved ones that day. United Airlines Flight 93 out
of Newark was hijacked, and the men heard through their phones that
thousands were killed a short time before by two other airliners in New
York.

Their response humbles me.

They took a vote.

They voted whether to die resisting the monsters that came into their lives
that election day. They voted on whether they would reach out and extinguish
death by embracing it - whether they would die to save unknown people, in
unknown numbers, somewhere in the morning ahead of them, rushing ever
closer.

They took a vote.

And nothing in my life has prepared me to explain how I felt when I read
those four words this morning.

They took a vote.

Sometimes you hear of something happening that can not fail to make you stop
and swallow with a suddenly choked throat. Out of all this pain, this
horror, three men did something that can only be described as 'holy'.

They took a vote, and all I can say is that they won.

Their names were: Mark Bingham, Jeremy Glick, and Thomas E. Burnett.
9 posted on 09/19/2001 4:55:46 PM PDT by Fzob

thanks for the pics, Joe! Adds to the picture.
10 posted on 09/19/2001 4:57:22 PM PDT by The Right Stuff

To: Vets_Husband_&_Wife
Amen to that.
11 posted on 09/19/2001 4:57:55 PM PDT by The Right Stuff
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8 | View Replies]

To: Fzob
That is truly amazing. Thanks for adding to the already incredible story.
12 posted on 09/19/2001 4:58:43 PM PDT by The Right Stuff
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 9 | View Replies]

I can honestly say that no event outside the birth of my children has moved me as much as what these men did.
13 posted on 09/19/2001 4:59:36 PM PDT by riley1992

I have read it at least a dozen times and shed a tear everytime. God bless those brave men and thier families.

BTW, I didn't write it, but I wish I did.

14 posted on 09/19/2001 5:01:42 PM PDT by Fzob
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 12 | View Replies]

Bump.

Right on!

I read a remarkably similar article by Maggie Gallagher, which was possibly even more eloquent, if anything, but my computer lost the article link.

15 posted on 09/19/2001 5:05:48 PM PDT by FReethesheeples

Comment #16 Removed by Moderator

Comment #17 Removed by Moderator

To: jimmyBEEgood

18 posted on 09/19/2001 5:14:03 PM PDT by SAMWolf
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 17 | View Replies]

To: FReethesheeples
Maggie Gallagher: What We Fight to Protect
19 posted on 09/19/2001 5:14:56 PM PDT by BurkeanCyclist
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 15 | View Replies]

Of all the heros in this whole mess, these guys are the highest of the high. God bless them, real men.
20 posted on 09/19/2001 5:17:29 PM PDT by Protagoras

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson