Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Weekend alert as FBI warns of new attack
http://www.thetimes.co.uk ^ | THURSDAY SEPTEMBER 20 2001 | BY DOMINIC KENNEDY AND DAMIAN WHITWORTH

Posted on 09/19/2001 9:39:49 PM PDT by ATOMIC_PUNK

Weekend alert as FBI warns of new attack

BY DOMINIC KENNEDY AND DAMIAN WHITWORTH

AMERICA and the West are bracing themselves for another potential “Day of Infamy” this Saturday, when accomplices of the hijackers are suspected of having plotted new outrages.

The most solid evidence so far is the discovery that five associates of the suicide gang had booked seats on two internal passenger flights, taking them from Texas to California, in two days’ time.

FBI agents are trying to capture as many key operatives as possible before any plot can be put into action.

Water, gas and electricity suppliers, bridges, tunnels and underground railways have increased security because of the perceived threat of biological, chemical or physical attacks.

In a dramatic development, three Arab airport workers in Detroit were arrested after FBI agents found them in a house with handwritten sketches of an airport, aircraft and runways. They had a notebook containing information about the “American base in Turkey”, “Alia Airport” in Jordan and the “American foreign minister”, legal documents state. The three, Ahmed Hanna, 33, Karim Koubriti, 23, and Farouk Ali-Halmoud, 21, from Morocco and Algeria, worked at Detroit Metropolitan Airport preparing food for airlines.

FBI agents stumbled across the trio while searching the address of Habil al-Marabh, a suspected associate of the World Trade Centre hijackers. The Arabs said that they did not know him. They have been charged with conspiracy and having false immigration papers.

The FBI is concentrating its energies on deterring more attacks this Saturday. “Yes, we have heard something about September 22 but nothing specific,” an investigative source told America’s Knight Ridder news service.

“We have information that leads us to believe that there could be more attacks very soon. The same murky sources that indicated something might be happening in the weeks before the attacks have indicated something may be happening this weekend.”

Bob Graham, chairman of the Senate Intelligence Committee, said that the New York and Washington suicide strikes were “part of a larger plan with other terrorism acts, not necessarily the hijacking of airplanes”.

The FBI has issued a “watch list” of 223 people suspected of being associates of the hijackers. Nearly a quarter of the people on the list are able to fly aircraft.

TOPICS: Breaking News; News/Current Events
KEYWORDS:
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-6061-80 ... 141-145 next last

1 posted on 09/19/2001 9:39:49 PM PDT by ATOMIC_PUNK
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: ATOMIC_PUNK
I heard they canceled some flights because of passenger names matching some of the hijackers. Were they these flights?
2 posted on 09/19/2001 9:41:38 PM PDT by mafree
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

Maybe they'll car bomb a college football stadium? Maybe they'll use a small plane to ram into a refinery? Who knows, I hope we are prepared!
3 posted on 09/19/2001 9:43:46 PM PDT by GeronL

To: GeronL
Geeeeeezzzz....don't give any kooks any MORE ideas!!!! (said with all due respect, honestly)
4 posted on 09/19/2001 9:47:41 PM PDT by Brad’s Gramma
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

“watch list” of 223 people.

Just watch for people with .223's were they're not supposed to be.

5 posted on 09/19/2001 9:50:26 PM PDT by spunkets

We can live without flying at all this weekend. Maybe they should ground all the planes and mess up their plans again. I think I feel better when I see no planes in the sky.
6 posted on 09/19/2001 9:52:15 PM PDT by FITZ

Imagine an entire stadium attacking five terrorists whose car bomb was a dud? Peas on earth...

Seriously, this worries me. These folks are arrogant and have ego's. They want to PROVE how smart they are, "calling" their shots. I fear this isn't over.

7 posted on 09/19/2001 9:52:34 PM PDT by Professional

Comment #8 Removed by Moderator

In a dramatic development, three Arab airport workers in Detroit were arrested after FBI agents found them in a house with handwritten sketches of an airport, aircraft and runways. They had a notebook containing information about the “American base in Turkey”, “Alia Airport” in Jordan and the “American foreign minister”, legal documents state. The three, Ahmed Hanna, 33, Karim Koubriti, 23, and Farouk Ali-Halmoud, 21, from Morocco and Algeria, worked at Detroit Metropolitan Airport preparing food for airlines.

Wire these d!cks up for sound already.

9 posted on 09/19/2001 9:53:02 PM PDT by Centurion2000

Gotta watch the nuke plants....
10 posted on 09/19/2001 9:53:19 PM PDT by Keith

Comment #11 Removed by Moderator

To: FITZ
Maybe it isn't planes this time. Stadiums, busses, dams, bridges, face it, we're a target rich environment. We let the fox into the henhouse. Gettin him out's gonna be a *itch.
12 posted on 09/19/2001 9:54:31 PM PDT by Professional
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 6 | View Replies]

To: Brad's Gramma
"don't give any kooks any MORE ideas!!!!

Those are what the kooks already did, with slight variation maybe, but same MO.

13 posted on 09/19/2001 9:54:46 PM PDT by spunkets
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

To: To All
Call the FBI Toll Free at 1-866-483-5137
if you see or hear anything that threatens our national security.

14 posted on 09/19/2001 9:55:01 PM PDT by 68-69TonkinGulfYachtClub

To: CapeFear4W
LMAO!
15 posted on 09/19/2001 9:56:15 PM PDT by rightwinggardeninggirl
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8 | View Replies]

To: TO ALL FREEPERS EAGLES UP
Be careful out there brothers and sisters god bless and be very safe

Regaeds AP

16 posted on 09/19/2001 10:00:03 PM PDT by ATOMIC_PUNK
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

Carry an assault weapon in your trunk this weekend, where ever you go.
17 posted on 09/19/2001 10:03:53 PM PDT by Critter

To: CapeFear4W
No more wearing Red White and Blue ribbons, I say we all start wearing ribbons made of bacon. And is having a pork chop in your pocket considered a concealed weapon?
18 posted on 09/19/2001 10:06:12 PM PDT by MrFred
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8 | View Replies]

To: Professional,ALL
I fear this isn't over.

Not by a long shot, I'm sure.

Be alert and stay safe FRiends!

19 posted on 09/19/2001 10:07:16 PM PDT by StriperSniper
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 7 | View Replies]

To: Professional
If you live in a warm muggy (not MUGGER) environment, as I do...you're at higher risk for a chemical attack. Here in south Florida, a SOMAN or SARIN attack spread by say a crop duster or just a nice sized industrial fire extinguisher would hang over the area like a wet blanket with all the evaporation qualities of motor oil...able to kill and keep on killing for days even weeks, depending on the agent and means of dispersal as well as the dilution ratio.

I CANNOT believe that local, state or even Federal emergency managers aren't holding emergency DRILLS! If you don't rehearse what and how you're going to react to such an emergency, you won't see the potential glitches in the plan if you even have one! There are special precautions which MUST be taken in the event of a nerve agent attack. You've got to set up DECONTAMINATION STATIONS with plenty of hot soapy water available, but you've also got to make sure this water is not allowed to run off and absorb into the ground or it will contaminate the water supply. You have to make sure you have adequate supplies of the drug ATROPINE on hand for treating the symptoms of the agent so victims can be stabilized for hospital transport. If atropine is not administered within 15 min of exposure...you're pretty much dead.

'Course in the case of PURE SOMAN, you have just nine seconds from initial exposure until death. That's the "rate of action" for this nerve agent...and you'll die barfing up your lungs....in pure agony.

20 posted on 09/19/2001 10:07:29 PM PDT by ExSoldier (Formerly GunsUp!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 12 | View Replies]

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-6061-80 ... 141-145 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson