Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

The most patriotic pregame ceremony in football history!
self

Posted on 09/20/2001 8:46:24 PM PDT by rebelyell

Folks, I just have to post about what was a very moving moment tonight on ESPN. I'm sure many of y'all saw it. My beloved Gamecocks of South Carolina were playing Miss. St. in Starkville, Mississippi in the first major college football game since the terrorist strikes. Before the game, 40 thousand small flags were being waved by the fans, a huge U.S. flag was unfurled across the playing field and several patriotic songs were sung. There was a long moment of silence that followed the ceremony, lasting maybe 90 seconds. At the end of the silence period, a fan stood up and, plain as day screamed "Osama Bin Laden...YOU GO TO HELL!" and the entire stadium erupted. There was not a dry eye in the house and it was probably my proudest moment ever as an American. Very moving. Very moving.

TOPICS: Announcements; Culture/Society
KEYWORDS:

1 posted on 09/20/2001 8:46:25 PM PDT by rebelyell
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: rebelyell
Now you've done it.............I'm crying again!!!! Thanks for your story.
2 posted on 09/20/2001 8:50:04 PM PDT by Elkiejg
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

"...a fan stood up and, plain as day screamed "Osama Bin Laden...YOU GO TO HELL!" and the entire stadium erupted..."

He will, We're comin for him.... Thanks for sharing that!

3 posted on 09/20/2001 8:50:37 PM PDT by SunnyUsa

I was a witness also - and yes!
LadyX lives in the wonderful state of South Carolina, one of the original thirteen colonies
of THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA!!!
4 posted on 09/20/2001 8:51:24 PM PDT by LadyX

Most excellent report! Football and patriotism go very well together. I look forward to seeing similar displays during this weekend's games. Even here in Massachusetts, Old Glory can be seen everywhere. At least 10% of the cars here are flying the flag on their antennas and just about every other house is flying one as well. Sure hope this spirt lasts.
5 posted on 09/20/2001 8:52:18 PM PDT by SamAdams76

To: SunnyUsa
I hardly ever post, but truly felt this was worthy. You could hear the guy plain as day, as the stadium was totally silent. An ESPN camera w/ a mic must have been pretty close to him. It was a classic moment.
6 posted on 09/20/2001 8:52:30 PM PDT by rebelyell
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

MSU ROTC cadets and players unfurled a giant flag before the game.
7 posted on 09/20/2001 8:53:36 PM PDT by jgrubbs (jgrubbs@familyresources.net)

To: LadyX
Lou Holtz--SUPER GENIUS. I sure wish we had him back.
8 posted on 09/20/2001 9:14:24 PM PDT by nd76
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

Quote of the Day Posted by Havoc
9 posted on 09/20/2001 9:21:11 PM PDT by RJayneJ

To: nd76
I'll back you up on that. I had the pleasure of meeting the great one a couple years ago. I have a picture of my (then) 2 yr old daughter in Carolina cheerleading outfit in his arms on my refrigerator. He has given us reason to hope for bigger things here in SC and we love that sucker to death. I hate to jinx things, but it appears this may be our year to make a big splash, possibly even be BCS worthy. 2001 IS our theme! lol
10 posted on 09/20/2001 9:24:10 PM PDT by rebelyell
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8 | View Replies]

Almost forgot... Cocks 16 Bulldawgs 14 GO GAMECOCKS!!!!!
11 posted on 09/21/2001 10:08:14 AM PDT by rebelyell
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 10 | View Replies]

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson