Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Why Ridge as "Czar"?

Posted on 09/21/2001 7:44:25 PM PDT by ErnBatavia

Californian that I am, would appreciate FREEPER input as to why Bush chose Ridge.

One must look at the big picture; you're taking a Republican governor out of the mix.

Why not Rudy, Pataki, or the Oklahoma governor (where a 'friendly' would be a more likely replacement)?

After all, if you tilt the balance, this little period of warm and fuzzy bipartisanship is going to end....in a "New York minute".....

TOPICS: Editorial; News/Current Events
KEYWORDS:

1 posted on 09/21/2001 7:44:25 PM PDT by ErnBatavia
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

Comment #2 Removed by Moderator

To: bebita64
One must look at the big picture; you're taking a Republican governor out of the mix.

Pennsylvania has term limits and this is Ridge's last term as governor.

3 posted on 09/21/2001 7:52:15 PM PDT by DallasMike
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

To: ErnBatavia
I have a better question- why do we need to add more bureaucracy, when some high level official in the Pentagon, Justice Dept. or FBI could just as easily handle it? I loved W's speech last night, but this was the one aspect that din't thrill me.
4 posted on 09/21/2001 8:02:35 PM PDT by Major Matt Mason
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: Major Matt Mason
That should read "didn't thrill me", of course.
5 posted on 09/21/2001 8:03:35 PM PDT by Major Matt Mason
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

Yea and he voted to ban those scary semi autos and hi cap mags and to tax and register long guns in Pa./sure he's just the man for the job,NOT!
6 posted on 09/21/2001 8:10:29 PM PDT by Glock 21

You may want to ask the kool-aid drinkers on this thread.

BUSH APPOINTS PRO-ABORTION CATHOLIC TO HEAD HOME SECURITY

7 posted on 09/21/2001 8:16:36 PM PDT by Lanman

Just a simplistic thought.

1. Rudy, Pataki are needed worse in New York.
  2. Ridge has military experience, not FBI experience like the Oklahoma governor.
  3. This is closer to a military than an FBI operation.
  4. There is just a remote possibility that GWB and his advisors know what they're doing.

8 posted on 09/21/2001 8:21:42 PM PDT by Vigilanteman

Comment #9 Removed by Moderator

To: Vigilanteman
Also, taking Pataki out of the mix virtually assures that the next gov of NY will be either Andy Cuomo or Carl McCall (both Dems).
10 posted on 09/21/2001 9:09:23 PM PDT by Tanniker Smith
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8 | View Replies]

Bush selected Gov. Ridge in general because he is qualified, but in particular because he is keen to appeal to the voters of Pennsylvania, whose Electoral Votes he covets in 2004.

This position will groom Ridge to be V.P. candidate in 2004 to replace Dick "Bad Ticker" Cheney.

As a former Governor with National Security executive experience, Gov. Ridge will be supremely qualified for V.P.

At some point on Election Night, probably after Gore was projected the winner, Bush regreted selecting Cheney over Ridge. PA's electoral votes would have come in quite handy that night.

11 posted on 09/21/2001 9:31:39 PM PDT by Plutarch

To: Major Matt Mason
"why do we need to add more bureaucracy, when some high level official in the Pentagon, Justice Dept. or FBI could just as easily handle it"

I'm not one for more bureaucracy, but I could see how ONE person might be needed to cut through inter agency rivalries, etc. The CIA is, after all, not SUPPOSED to work internally, so they have to share with the FBI. Same for military- they're not in theory a law enforcement agency.

12 posted on 09/21/2001 9:40:44 PM PDT by SoCal Pubbie
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

To: Tanniker Smith
It is hard to say if the mushy middle (and even left-leaning) New Yorkers will rush back to the 'rats whose gutting of defense and intelligence brought them the latest disaster. Remember, after four years of Jimmy Carter, Reagan managed to carry both New York and Massachusetts in two elections. Now that I think back to 1984, I kind of feel sorry for Walter Mondale. He was a considerably more qualified candidate than anyone the Democrats have put up since, especially compared to DIRTXPOTUS. But the same thing could be said about Joe Biden, Gary Hart and a host of others.
13 posted on 09/22/2001 12:12:04 AM PDT by Vigilanteman
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 10 | View Replies]

To: SoCal Pubbie
It is never just one person, as this one person almost certainly will have a fairly large (and highly-paid) support staff. Given the fact that he'll be dealing with many different departments in many agencies, there is no telling how much bureaucracy will be added.

And I don't even want to think of what will happen to our constitutional rights. Can you imagine what would happen if another Clinton-type made it to the top (like Hillary, for instance)? The potential for abuse is truly alarming.

14 posted on 09/22/2001 12:52:30 AM PDT by Major Matt Mason
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 12 | View Replies]

To: Plutarch
Let's hope that Bush is not grooming a Ridge for the Vice Presidency. If he is, he has not learned the lesson his Dad did about angering a basic constituency. As a "Roman Catholic", Tom Ridge is not allowed to speak in any Catholic Church as a result of his proabortion beliefs.

Could you think a bigger insult to Roman Catholics than to raise to the Vice Presidency a man who has been forbidden by The Bishop of Erie from speaking in any Church in the Diocese?

15 posted on 09/24/2001 11:11:24 PM PDT by Norwell
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 11 | View Replies]

It had been long rumored here in Texas that 43 wanted Tom Ridge as Veep. They were great friends as when both were govenors. Loyality is very important to Bush, we've seen it over and over here in Texas.

Anyway as the rumor goes, 41 picked Chaney because of his foreign policy experience. It made sense.

Although this is pure speculation on my part, but I think that in effect Bush got himself a secondary Veep. He, Ridge and Ashcroft will work the homefront and the Chaney/Powell team will run the overseas war. Its a basic management strategy and Bush is the consumate businessman, amoung other things. Although I have to add if Powell doesn't get in step with the rest of the administration...well I'll leave that to you guys.

What it comes down to is this Bush wanted Ridge on his team, Bush got Ridge on his team.

16 posted on 09/24/2001 11:30:34 PM PDT by genxer

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson