Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Eyewitness to the Strength of America
self | Friday, September 21, 2001 | Kristinn

Posted on 09/21/2001 11:40:48 PM PDT by kristinn

For ten days, America has been a nation on a razor's edge. The terrorist attacks on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon have unnerved Americans like no other act of war since Pearl Harbor.

What makes this different, however, is that the attacks were committed by an enemy unseen and by actors unknown. No nation or group has claimed responsibility. Only circumstantial evidence points to a culprit: Osama bin Laden and his gang, Al Qaeda.

America is going to war now, but the war has already come to us. In the nation's capital, where I live, the mood after President Bush's address to Congress last night was somber. Passengers on the subway eyed each other warily--anyone of them could be a terrorist. On the streets, people went about their business--but their TGIF spirit was absent.

On Capitol Hill, the police officers' usually friendly demeanor was replaced by a stern, distant, alert for any sign of danger attitude. Yet, despite a situation which would have brought martial law to most countries, people were free to go about their business as usual. Even as Congress met late into the night to authorize relief for the devastated airline companies, the public was free to enter the Capitol and watch the debate.

And so it was that I came to spend this evening in the visitors' gallery of the House of Representatives.

The weather outside on this September evening was gorgeous: warm, a little humid, with a pastel colored sunset gently painting the clouds behind the Washington Monument in the distance. TgslTakoma and I strolled across the East Front and approached the visitors entrance for the gallery, uncertain if it was open to the public at this late hour (8 p.m.)

The police officer guarding the entrance let us in, and after clearing the security check we took an elevator up to the gallery on the third floor. Once inside the chamber, we sat in the front row and watched in awe as the House conducted the business of the American people under the incredible stress we all are living through.

My first thought was that here we were, less than 24 hours later, in the same room where President Bush gave his incredibly well-received speech to a joint session of Congress.

Debate was raging on a $15 billion bill to help airline companies weather the ruinous disruption to there business lest their troubles affect the rest of the nation's economic well-being.

Even though the emergency bill had just passed the Senate by a vote of 96-1, some Democrats railed against the lack of measures to help the airlines' employees and the rule barring amendments that the bill was being considered under.

The bi-partisan lovefest of the previous evening seemed to be falling apart as Democrats took turns attacking the measure as a bailout for the wealthy companies while their employees are ignored. One Democrat even went so far as to accuse the airlines of exploiting the situation to bail out of small town airports in order to maximize their profits.

There were a few Democrats who spoke passionately in favor of the bill such as Norm Dicks and James Trafficant. Loretta Sanchez had a hissy fit at the microphone when she spoke out in favor of the bill: she claimed she had no choice but to vote for it even though she didn't want to.

All the Republicans who spoke supported the bill. Speaker Hastert sat in on the debate and rose to speak towards the end as Minority leader Dick Gephardt spoke about the agreement he made with the Speaker about future legislation to address the concerns of the workers. Hastert said he would keep his word to Gephardt.

The Minority Leader then offered words of praise to the Speaker for his handling of the House since the terrorist attacks. The chamber gave Hastert a standing ovation of respect and appreciation to him and the wartime spirit of bi-partisanship returned.

After the vote on the rule to bar amendments passed overwhelmingly, Gephardt gave another speech. This one focused on the House's responsiblities to the American people. To my surprise, he stated that he and his fellow representatives had failed in their duty to protect us and he promised to do better.

The chamber, which usually buzzes with Members' conversations while the floor debates go on, fell silent as Gephardt spoke emotionally of the personal toll of this attack on the victims' families, the nation and the House. His remarks were given an approving round of applause.

TgslTakoma and I left after that. We paused to look at some of the murals painted on the interior walls and ceilings of the stairwells and hallways. One painting, about America's westward expansion, was dated 1862--when we were engulfed in the Civil War.

Back outside in the balmy night air, we paused again to marvel at the beauty of the lit-up Capitol dome. We looked around and saw Patrick Kennedy walking towards us on his way to the House. He stopped for a minute and we spoke about the troubles our country is in. He was friendly, and he posed for a picture with tgslTakoma. I shook his hand and gave him encouragement which he gratefully accepted.

Under (almost) any other circumstance I would have freeped the hell out of him, but we are at war. And I must stand with my American brother to preserve the last best hope for Mankind on earth.

TgslTakoma and I witnessed the enduring strength of America tonight: our elected representatives peacefully debating and carrying out their Constitutional duties in public for all the world to see. Many men and women have fought and died for this to happen. Many more stand ready now to do the same.

TOPICS: Editorial; Your Opinion/Questions
KEYWORDS:
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-24 next last
EAGLES UP !!!
1 posted on 09/21/2001 11:40:48 PM PDT by kristinn (kristinn@bellatlantic.net)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: kristinn
Beautifully written. Thank you.
2 posted on 09/21/2001 11:45:09 PM PDT by GVnana
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: GVgirl
Thanks.
3 posted on 09/21/2001 11:55:38 PM PDT by kristinn (kristinn@bellatlantic.net)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

Under (almost) any other circumstance I would have freeped the hell out of him

I hope he realizes how lucky he was ... I've personally witnessed your FReeping prowess.

Good read.

4 posted on 09/22/2001 12:17:37 AM PDT by Gumption

You're a good man, Charley Brown! The President has provided a wonderful example of 'love thy enemy' - it's tough and I'm trying to do better!!
5 posted on 09/22/2001 12:52:24 AM PDT by SmartBlonde

Comment #6 Removed by Moderator

Last November I would not have believed that what you witnessed today would even be possible. I thought that the country was actually split in two and might never be mended. This country has been blessed with an unusual ability to fight amoung ourselves to the point where it appears we're about to inflict serious bodily harm to each other and yet pull together into a rock solid fist whenever we're threatened by those outside.

God, what a country, what marvelous people!

7 posted on 09/22/2001 1:26:33 AM PDT by McGavin999

Thank you for the excellent report, Kristinn. It must be wonderful to be there in person to see and hear all that you and the DC FReepers do.

EAGLES UP & LET'S ROLL!

8 posted on 09/22/2001 4:10:28 AM PDT by Budge

:o)
9 posted on 09/22/2001 4:15:38 AM PDT by piasa

To: kristinn,tgslTakoma
I'm really jealous. You got to see, first hand, the greatest speech of my adult life.

Wonderful report.

10 posted on 09/22/2001 4:27:13 AM PDT by leadpenny
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

From what I heard on the radio last night the debate seemed to be very partisian. You can bet the farm any bills coming from this "unified congress" will be FULL of pork.

Good to hear from you.

11 posted on 09/22/2001 6:21:23 AM PDT by Gore_ War_ Vet

To: Gumption, SmartBlonde
I've held my tongue these days when I'm on the Hill. It's tough. If I saw the Hildebeast, it would be really tough :-)
12 posted on 09/22/2001 8:59:07 AM PDT by kristinn (kristinn@bellatlantic.net)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

To: McGavin999
It is heartening to see this country more united than I've ever seen it in my lifetime (the baby boomer years). I just hope it lasts after this is over.
13 posted on 09/22/2001 9:09:49 AM PDT by kristinn (kristinn@bellatlantic.net)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 7 | View Replies]

To: Budge
Thanks, Budge. These days it's an honor (and responsibility) to be here and exercise our freedoms and rights.
14 posted on 09/22/2001 9:12:50 AM PDT by kristinn (kristinn@bellatlantic.net)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8 | View Replies]

To: leadpenny
Perhaps you mis-read what I wrote. We were not in the House on Thursday. Even so, Friday night was a good time to be there, too.
15 posted on 09/22/2001 9:16:45 AM PDT by kristinn (kristinn@bellatlantic.net)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 10 | View Replies]

Great report! Thanks
16 posted on 09/22/2001 9:17:19 AM PDT by Jimmy Valentine's brother

To: Gore_ War_ Vet
I know. I was thinking as I sat there, as bad as this Congress can be, it is still better than the alternatives :-)
17 posted on 09/22/2001 9:20:21 AM PDT by kristinn (kristinn@bellatlantic.net)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 11 | View Replies]

My bad. I must have been scanning over things too fast this AM.. If I don't like what I read, I just make things up in my mind. Stay well friend.
18 posted on 09/22/2001 10:43:33 AM PDT by leadpenny
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 15 | View Replies]

To: Angelwood, ironman, Clinton's a liar, Doctor Raoul, YaYa123, basil
For your reading pleasure.
19 posted on 09/22/2001 10:52:23 AM PDT by kristinn (kristinn@bellatlantic.net)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 17 | View Replies]

We looked around and saw Patrick Kennedy... I shook his hand and gave him encouragement which he gratefully accepted. Under (almost) any other circumstance I would have freeped the hell out of him, but we are at war. And I must stand with my American brother to preserve the last best hope for Mankind on earth...

Bootiful, man.

20 posted on 09/22/2001 10:55:14 AM PDT by Osinski

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-24 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson