Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Link to: Revolutionary Association of Women of Afghanistan (RAWA)
Revolutionary Association of Women of Afghanistan (RAWA) ^

Posted on 09/22/2001 4:13:13 PM PDT by The Other Harry

The women of Afghanistan are important allies of ours, and they are very deserving of our alliance with them. Like us, they have suffered horribly from Osama bin Laden and his cohorts in the Taliban.

Here is a LINK to their website.

TOPICS: Foreign Affairs; Miscellaneous
KEYWORDS:
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-22 next last
1 posted on 09/22/2001 4:13:13 PM PDT by The Other Harry
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: The Other Harry
Can't wait to hear news of the National Organization of Women forming an alliance with RAWA to end the brutal oppression of women in Afghanistan, and by fundamentalist (strike that, EXTREMIST) Muslims everywhere.....

...NOT.

2 posted on 09/22/2001 4:39:59 PM PDT by litany_of_lies
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: litany_of_lies
This is repulsive propaganda. They have suffered all right thanks to clinton's policy. Nobody gave a darn then. Now let's use them one more time. The French are great at organizing their women that way. They came up with organizing against the rapes in Bosnia that never took place. They are famous for demonstrating "solidarity" in the streets of Paris and then go home to cook steak-frites. These are the same women who applauded Hillary Clinton the "feminist" who supported the Taliban, thought clinton was a great supporter of human rights and hate GW Bush. Who knows who is really behind that group. For all their supposed concern what have they done in the past ten years other than talk? I bet they don't even know where Kabul is.
3 posted on 09/22/2001 5:07:45 PM PDT by Pipers
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

I can't tell whether or not you think RAWA is illegit.

Even if RAWA is illegit, the fact that women in Afghanistan are brutally oppressed is irrefutable.

Also irrefutable is the fact that NOW, Hillary! and other lefties won't give a s*** about Afghan women unless supporting them can undermine the US. Their silence on slavery in the Sudan until very recently says it all.

4 posted on 09/22/2001 5:12:00 PM PDT by litany_of_lies

To: Pipers
They have suffered all right thanks to clinton's policy. Nobody gave a darn then.

We (generically) weren't paying attention back then. It wasn't just Clinton, it was all of us. In rerospect, we obviously should have been smarter.

I think that's different now.

The women of Afghanistan have been hurt too. If we are looking for friends, they are good ones. They are potentially very powerful.

5 posted on 09/22/2001 5:56:31 PM PDT by The Other Harry
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

Comment #6 Removed by Moderator

To: crystal55t
RAWA, I believe, is based in Pakistan because their members would be killed immediately by the Taliban if they operated openly in Afghanistan. One of their projects is to organize illegal "home-based schools" in Afghani homes, because the Taliban have forced all girls to leave school. Teaching them in the home-based schools is illegal. One would think the women of Afghanistan would want the Taliban gone as much as we do.
7 posted on 09/22/2001 7:45:00 PM PDT by ikanakattara
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 6 | View Replies]

Here is a LINK to a thread the clearly delineates the hypocrisy of these leftist bastards.
8 posted on 09/22/2001 8:06:36 PM PDT by Fester Chugabrew

I visit this site, and do not cast any aspersions on it at all. It is a valuable site.

Yes, the women have suffered horribly. Unimaginably.

But, having done relief work in some rather horrible places myself, I believe "women's rights" falls far behind the spectre of starvation for most Afghan women. Feed their children and feed them, then they might come round more to fighting for their rights. My heart grieves for these women, but truth be told, the ones who consider themselves to be suffering from oppression are mainly the lucky ones, the ones who were educated, the ones who can think beyond the next meal for the starving baby. And these "lucky" women are also blessed or cursed, depending on how you look at it, to be the vanguard for their oppressed sisters. I in no way disparage their cause or deny their suffering.

There is, however, a universal heirachy of human needs: (1) Water (2) Food (3) Shelter, which are prerequisites for pursuing higher needs and ideals, especially when one is trying to alleviate the suffering on one's own thirsty, hungry, and/or cold and ill children.

There is also this very long, but very insightful article by an Iranian film maker, written in June of this year, which deserves study, IMHO.

9 posted on 09/22/2001 8:31:38 PM PDT by wonders

Wrong. A lot of people were paying attention in the US. The clintons prevented any criticism, turning the question to the ingorant wife of Jay Leno, a nasty-mouthed clinton lover late-night clown. Jesse Helms has a thick file on the clintons' support for the Taliban and threatened to make it public last year. Chirac did the same thing in France. Allowed was the organized whining of the so-called humanitarian French left led by Kouchner and the despicable and crooked Mitterand women with the collaboration of women's magazines. Same thing at the European Parliament where Massoud went to search (and did not get) support a couple of months ago. Lots of kisses though from weepy "women leaders". Thanks to the clintons who were (until recently) adored in Paris where GW Bush was trashed along the lines our democratic party had set. This propaganda is repulsive.
10 posted on 09/22/2001 9:16:29 PM PDT by Pipers
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

To: litany_of_lies
FYI
11 posted on 09/22/2001 9:17:49 PM PDT by Pipers
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

To: Fester Chugabrew
FYI.
12 posted on 09/22/2001 9:18:45 PM PDT by Pipers
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8 | View Replies]

"Here is a LINK to a thread the clearly delineates the hypocrisy of these leftist bastards."

I need to clarify something here. By "leftist bastards" I mean whose who cry so loudly for feminism in the USA, but are utterly silent when it comes to Afghan women. The link referred to above [Post #8] addresses this hypocrisy and more.

OTOH, why should I care if an Afghan woman is confident and comfortable in practicing her "faith" in such a "repressed" manner?

13 posted on 09/22/2001 9:49:59 PM PDT by Fester Chugabrew
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 12 | View Replies]

Ref your #10: No surprise to me that that devil Kouchner was a party to such injustice. That man makes me gag.
14 posted on 09/22/2001 11:05:05 PM PDT by wonders
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 10 | View Replies]

Comment #15 Removed by Moderator

To: boston_liberty
Ref your #15: Thank you for this link. Very informative and helpful.

However, this is also to be considered: the link I/we gave previously. Scroll down to the sub-title "The Afghan woman, the most imprisoned woman in the world" and on down to the end of the second paragraph:

Then why shouldn't we more realistically ask whether the culture of Afghanistan is affected by the Taliban or was it the cause for the Taliban's appearance?

In my experience with working with such circumstances, Mr. Makhmalbaf has a wise point. The PCers have it all backwards, in my experience. The PCers have the cart before the horse, in other words.

16 posted on 09/22/2001 11:50:07 PM PDT by wonders
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 15 | View Replies]

Comment #17 Removed by Moderator

To: boston_liberty
The practice of Islam in this part of the world can be considered "fundamentalist" in the sense that their interpretation of the Koran is narrow. RAWA does not want the Taliban (understandable), does not want the Northern Alliance (less understandable). What do they want? Are they the concubines of the old decrepit King now living somewhere in Italy? Or is it another fundraising scam from the Mitterand women? If so, it would not be the first time.
18 posted on 09/23/2001 6:20:33 PM PDT by Pipers
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 15 | View Replies]

To: Fester Chugabrew
"I need to clarify something here. By "leftist bastards" I mean whose who cry so loudly for feminism in the USA, but are utterly silent when it comes to Afghan women." I meant the democrats (this started under Carter), the "civil rights" community, the Hollywood trash, the feminists, their beloved clintons. They all contributed to the misery of these women (and men too). And more. Now they pretend to be outraged by their condition. It's more than hypocrisy. It is criminal. Then again, what is to expect of that crowd. "OTOH, why should I care if an Afghan woman is confident and comfortable in practicing her "faith" in such a "repressed" manner? I was not talking about their religion. It is theirs.
19 posted on 09/23/2001 6:34:28 PM PDT by Pipers
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 13 | View Replies]

To: wonders
"That man makes me gag." To say the least.
20 posted on 09/23/2001 6:36:34 PM PDT by Pipers
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 14 | View Replies]

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-22 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson