News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Dallas Area FReepers! DSL or Cable?
Richard Meek/self | September 23, 2001 | Richard Meek/self

Posted on 09/23/2001 1:44:37 PM PDT by MeekOneGOP

Dallas Area FReepers! DSL or Cable?
Which Dallas Providers Are Superior?

Attention Dallas FReepers! I am wanting to speed up my Internet Access and want to find out the benefits and drawbacks of Dallas Area DSL and Internet Cable Services.

It is my understanding that each metropolitan area has it's own unique and local variances regarding DSL and Internet Cable providers.

I am trying to find out which providers in this area stand out as Superior and which ones are Poor regarding service, costs, quality, etc. I appreciate any comments you can give me regarding Dallas Area DSL and Cable Providers!

bye-bye AOL. . .

TOPICS: Miscellaneous; Your Opinion/Questions
KEYWORDS:
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-6061-71 next last

1 posted on 09/23/2001 1:44:37 PM PDT by MeekOneGOP (MeeknMing@yahoo.com)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: MeeknMing, Sirgawain
bye-bye AOL. . .

If only it was that easy..... MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

2 posted on 09/23/2001 1:53:17 PM PDT by Texaggie79
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: MeeknMing
Verizon DSL is what we chose. As a point of reference, I work for a telecom company as a system administrator, and my wife has worked as both system and network administrator. We researched all of the systems carefully, and were beta testers for ATT cable.

You may have some trouble with the initial install, but it is worth it. Cable in the area uses shared bandwidth. It can get slow during the evening. Also, the cable companies log every transaction. I can freep-mail you the name of a service provider that works well with DSL in the Dallas area. It is not a national company, and respects it's client's privacy.

/john

3 posted on 09/23/2001 2:01:02 PM PDT by JRandomFreeper

I've been happy with Verizon DSL so far (since Aug. 2000)
4 posted on 09/23/2001 2:04:05 PM PDT by ken in texas

If I were you, I'd investigate this by going to DSLReports.com (which, despite the name, also contains info regarding cable suppliers as well). They have reviews written by the users of the various companies.
5 posted on 09/23/2001 2:11:35 PM PDT by John Jorsett

To: kd5cts
Verizon DSL is what we chose. . .You may have some trouble with the initial install, but it is worth it. Cable in the area uses shared bandwidth. It can get slow during the evening. . .I can freep-mail you the name of a service provider that works well with DSL in the Dallas area. It is not a national company, and respects it's client's privacy. /john
Many thanks, John! Yes, please FReep-mail or e-mail me that information. I appreciate your help!. . . ;-)

6 posted on 09/23/2001 2:16:33 PM PDT by MeekOneGOP
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

Comment #7 Removed by Moderator

fix

bold off!

8 posted on 09/23/2001 2:17:09 PM PDT by MeekOneGOP
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 6 | View Replies]

I'm on SWBell. I've had decent luck with it after they ironed out some serious e-mail problems -- which only took them six months!
9 posted on 09/23/2001 2:40:44 PM PDT by DallasMike

To: kd5cts
Cable in the area uses shared bandwidth

Of course, so does DSL. :-)

DLS has separate relatively low-speed connections (maximum 1.5Mb/sec, typically 0.4 to 0.8Mb/sec) from each house to the central office. Cable has high-speed connections (at least 30Mb/sec) from groups of houses to the central office. From the central office, both types of service share the ISP's available bandwidth. And, I guarentee that the bandwidth between the central office and the Internet is much lower than the combined bandwidth of all of their subscribers. They all rely on the fact that most connections are idle most of the time.

I've had a cablemodem system for about four years, and it's at least as fast today as it was when they first introduced it. In fact, I've worked at several high-tech companies over that time, and my home connection was always faster than the dedicated connections I've had at work. I'm often able to download multiple simultaneous CDROM imgages at a sustained rate of over 5Mb/sec.

It's entirely possible that your cable provider has oversubscribed, and is therefore offering inferior service. But that's a business decision on their part, not a technical limitation. A properly configured cablemodem system will usually offer much higher speeds than a DSL system.

10 posted on 09/23/2001 2:58:58 PM PDT by Johnny B.
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

To: Johnny B.
bttt
11 posted on 09/23/2001 3:44:43 PM PDT by Chapita
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 10 | View Replies]

To: John Jorsett, kd5cts, ken in texas,KirbyJ, DallasMike, Johnny B. Chapita
Well, folks I called Verizon today to get service started on their DSL and they sent me an e-mail:
Mr. Meek,
We are sorry to inform you, but DSL is not avaliable in your area at this time. You are 22,000 ft. from your Central Office and that is too far out. If you have any questions please call 1-877-483-5070.
Sorry again for the inconvenience.
Tamara
So I guess I’ll pick up my research again.

If any of you have any other ideas or suggestions, I would appreciate any input. If you want to bump someone else for input, that's great, too.

I suppose I’ll start by reviewing the link you sent to me (on post #5), John (Jorsett). I appreciate you posting that here!

Dallas Mike: You indicated some startup problems with SW Bell. Otherwise, your service is great you say? Would you recommend them and haven’t had any other issues with them?

Thank you all for you time, effort and help!

Richard Meek
Rowlett, Texas (Dallas County - far NE Dallas Co.)

12 posted on 09/29/2001 9:28:28 AM PDT by MeekOneGOP
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

Link to another DSL/Cable thread:

Should I get DSL or cable at home??

13 posted on 09/29/2001 10:12:59 AM PDT by MeekOneGOP

I researched the DSL versus cable modem also. I am like you in the fact that I'm too far away to get DSL.
I went the cable modem route and have been very happy with them.
I don't live in Dallas though, I live in Kansas City suburbs.
If you're too far away for DSL, cable modem or satellite modem is pretty much the only two ways to go for fast connections.
14 posted on 09/29/2001 10:19:19 AM PDT by Just another Joe
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 13 | View Replies]

I am using Southwestern Bell DSL. The connection has been outstanding and, surprisingly no problems after setup. I have found a couple downsides: 1) There is a delay of about a month after you sign up before the connection is activated. 2) the customer service is less than helpful when you do run into problems. I have had a couple billing errors, and it is difficult to resolve them. If you run across a smaller company with better customer service, I would go that direction. Also, let me know! I have heard Earthlink has good service here, but I have not researched it.
15 posted on 09/29/2001 10:19:34 AM PDT by ilgipper
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 12 | View Replies]

Richard,

It took several months for SWBell to acknowledge that they had a problem with e-mail at one of their north Dallas routers that was affecting several hundred subscribers. I'm still ticked off at them for that because for most of that time, they were telling me that I was the only having problems. Since then though, I really have no complaints.

-Mike

16 posted on 09/29/2001 10:20:01 AM PDT by DallasMike

My experience with AT&T Broadband was hair pullingly horrific, they contract out to installers that have no clue. After two months of dealing with "select your option" that would finally land me with some dry bored employee that would tell me we will come right to your rescue in "10 working days", I gave up after two and a half months of off and on phone service and went with SW Bell DSL, it works fine.
17 posted on 09/29/2001 10:25:40 AM PDT by MissAmericanPie

Rowlett, Texas (Dallas County - far NE Dallas Co.)

Hi, Neighbor! Nice town you live in. Hope to move there in a few years. (I am in Garland.)

18 posted on 09/29/2001 10:27:31 AM PDT by babyfreep

To: John Jorsett;kd5cts;ken in texas;KirbyJ;DallasMike;Johnny B.;Chapita; ilgipper;Just another Joe
Well, not doing so well. It looks as thought I may be stuck with Cable? One of you had mentioned something about satellite modem for faster Internet. Can one of you give me some information about that? Thanks!

E-Mail from Earthlink:

Dear Richard Meek,

Recently, you submitted your name and phone number to our EarthLink DSL waiting list. We just rechecked the number you submitted and unfortunately, our records show that your number is still not eligible for our EarthLink DSL service.

The coverage area for EarthLink DSL gets wider every week, so we make a point of regularly checking and rechecking the numbers on our waiting list.

We value your interest in EarthLink DSL and want you to know that we will continue to check your DSL serviceability status. Should your line become serviceable for DSL, we will make every effort to contact you.

If you would rather not receive these communications in the future please click here: http://www.earthlink.net/dsl/opt-out

Thank you for your patience and, once again, thank you for choosing EarthLink!

Sincerely,

The EarthLink Broadband Sales Team

19 posted on 09/30/2001 2:48:26 PM PDT by MeekOneGOP
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 18 | View Replies]

AT&T Broadband

Get cable, you won't be disappointed.

20 posted on 09/30/2001 3:25:54 PM PDT by primeval patriot

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-6061-71 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson