Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Lax Gun Laws Help Terrorists
The Boston Globe ^ | 9/25/01 | Thomas Oliphant

Posted on 09/25/2001 6:57:52 AM PDT by Gothmog

Edited on 04/13/2004 2:06:51 AM PDT by Jim Robinson. [history]

THE DAY BEFORE the United States was attacked this month, there was a revealing jury verdict in Detroit that demonstrates not only how porous this country is for terrorists but also what a genuinely bipartisan response to the serious threat should look like.

(Excerpt) Read more at boston.com ...

TOPICS: Constitution/Conservatism; Editorial
KEYWORDS:
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-6061-79 next last
One of the first shots in the new war against the 2nd Amendment. To become safe from terrorists we must disarm. Oliphant's version of bipartisanship?

"It hardly endangers that consensus to add to these talks a virtual imperative to fix a ridiculous legal situation that makes it easy for terrorists to shop for the very instruments of their business."

It is now "imperitave" to do what the liberals want. Some discussion, some bipartisanship, ha ha ha. And for targeting the actual menace, like Ashcroft and has done and the US people support, Ashcroft gets tagged as a "progun fanatic."

"But when the Justice Department made its initial legislative recommendations to strengthen law enforcement, all the proposals dealt with detention of immigrants and intelligence gathering; Attorney General John Ashcroft, a progun fanatic, left alone the swiss cheese gun laws that made the Hezbollah operation in this country so easy."

And we can thank McCain for handing the commies a fig leaf:

"The effort to close the ridiculous gun show loopholes is already bipartisan, pushed by Senators John McCain and Joseph Lieberman. In the negotiations over new domestic security law, McCain-Lieberman belongs in the mix."

1 posted on 09/25/2001 6:57:52 AM PDT by Gothmog
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: Gothmog
There were no guns involved but lax gun laws were at fault. Brilliant.
2 posted on 09/25/2001 7:00:58 AM PDT by AppyPappy
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

You forgot the "Barf Alert!"
3 posted on 09/25/2001 7:01:17 AM PDT by E. Pluribus Unum

To: AppyPappy
Reems of laws were broken in the above. Not one of them stopped what happened. How can anyone even think that passing another law will correct the problem?
4 posted on 09/25/2001 7:05:29 AM PDT by Flint
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

My dislike of Oliphant just racheted up to abhorrence....
5 posted on 09/25/2001 7:07:25 AM PDT by backhoe (Has that clinton "legacy" made you feel *safer* yet? ? ?)

Ignorance abounds in the Thomas Oliphant DNA.
6 posted on 09/25/2001 7:08:28 AM PDT by B4Ranch

Spray shooters don't last long amongst an armed populace, only a disarmed one, nor do they hit very many people in the proccess. That's why they prefer to use explosives.
7 posted on 09/25/2001 7:09:37 AM PDT by lepton

"From the progressive world, there have already been a host of concessions, most notably the end for now of frontal assaults on President Bush's missile defense plans."

Then who is it who keeps saying things like, "a missile defense system wouldn't have kept this type of terrorist act from happening"? Couldn't be the "progressive world" could it? Of course the "progressives" with their superior intellect haven't yet figured out that the next terrorist attack won't be accomplished the same way the last one was.

8 posted on 09/25/2001 7:12:11 AM PDT by anothergrunt

Headline>

STUPID REPORTERS WANT AMERICANS TO HAVE LESS FREEDOM

GIVE TERRORISTS WHAT THEY WANT

9 posted on 09/25/2001 7:12:44 AM PDT by Aztech

The reason there weren't more lives lost on 9.11.01 is because brave Americans fought back. The far left now see's how detrimental it is for their cause if Americans can defend themselves, so they will put more effort at poking this hole in our Nations Security, and try to take away our right to bare arms the final line of defense in the United States.
10 posted on 09/25/2001 7:15:49 AM PDT by Fearless Flyers

Michael Moore, in the midst of making an anti-gun movie, looked at the WTC rubble pile and realized that a thousand gun control laws could not have prevented that attack. I (and who knows how many others) reminded him that twenty thousand gun control laws did not prevent that attack. Object control fails where freedom will succeed.
11 posted on 09/25/2001 7:17:09 AM PDT by ctdonath2

Get a life.
12 posted on 09/25/2001 7:17:30 AM PDT by Dustbunny

The weapons and ammunition they almost succeeded in smuggling abroad included numerous items purchased at gun shows - the ideal shopping mall for criminals in general and terrorists in particular and one that has been used repeatedly for a decade.

I don't suppose the author has any proof for this allegation. In fact very few guns in crime are purchased at gun shows.And NO GUNS were used in the 9/11 attacks. The insinuation for years has been that no background checks are done at shows, therefore, that's where the criminals shop. Bullsh!t. The so called "gun show loop hole" is a myth but don't tell that to left wing nuts in the media.

13 posted on 09/25/2001 7:18:16 AM PDT by NEPA

To: AppyPappy
I'm surprised that coming from Boston he did not use an example of some Irish Americans sending arms to the IRA. Maybe because that would remind everyone that his hero Bill Clinton embraced Sinn Fein?
14 posted on 09/25/2001 7:18:30 AM PDT by Gothmog
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

To: Fearless Flyers
Could you imagine being on a highjacked airplane and turning to Oliphant and saying "OK, let's go get 'um"?
15 posted on 09/25/2001 7:19:33 AM PDT by gaspar
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 10 | View Replies]

Comment #16 Removed by Moderator

I have a couple of box cutters in my toolbox at home.
I don't have a license to carry.

I GUESS I'M IN BIG TROUBLE NOW.....gimme a break
17 posted on 09/25/2001 7:20:17 AM PDT by HEY4QDEMS

Hey guys, don't forget "If you're not with us, you're against us", or so I've been told here on FR many times lately.

Just like people exercising free speech are now 'terrorists', so too will be gun owners. And later, anyone who refuses to carry national ID. Don't you love how this 'war' works?

18 posted on 09/25/2001 7:23:58 AM PDT by freeeee

To: E. Pluribus Unum
You forgot the "Barf Alert!"

No Barf Alert needed for a Tom Oliphant column. No point being redundant.

19 posted on 09/25/2001 7:25:08 AM PDT by Maceman
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

To: backhoe
My dislike of Oliphant just racheted up to abhorrence...

That leaves me with a problem. I started with abhorrence. What's the next setting on the dial?

20 posted on 09/25/2001 7:25:14 AM PDT by Ratatoskr
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-6061-79 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson