Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Noxious Fumes Shut Down LA Redline subway
KABC-TV | 9-26-01

Posted on 09/26/2001 6:18:31 PM PDT by dogbyte12

A group of at least 24 people waiting to get on the redline in the heart of LA began complaining of noxious fumes and reported symptoms of scratchy throats, burning sensation in their eyes. Two police officers who went down to investigate report the same symptoms. Nothing appears lifethreatening, it could be nothing, but the story is developing now in L.A.

It might be a case of mass hysteria due to the bio warnings in the news, or something noxious like a cleaning chemical, the streets are cordoned off in the area, and it appears that firefighters, and biohazard folks are being sent in to investigate. Any linkable story comes in, I will update on it.

TOPICS: Front Page News; News/Current Events
KEYWORDS:
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-6061 next last

1 posted on 09/26/2001 6:18:31 PM PDT by dogbyte12
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: dogbyte12
Somebody probably lit a cigarette
2 posted on 09/26/2001 6:22:39 PM PDT by Inyokern
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

Chances are if a terrorist decides to unleash biological warfare in a subway, the people effected wouldn't be around long enough to report the symptoms.
3 posted on 09/26/2001 6:22:50 PM PDT by riley1992

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/

This is their site but nothing more than you reported.

4 posted on 09/26/2001 6:23:47 PM PDT by tutstar

To: riley1992
Oh, I agree. Somebody smelt something funny in the subway, started getting sick, vomitting, then mass hysteria. The LAPD, LAFD are taking it seriously though. If it's mass hysteria, 2 cops fell victim to it as well.
5 posted on 09/26/2001 6:24:10 PM PDT by dogbyte12
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

Chances are if a terrorist decides to unleash biological warfare in a subway, the people effected wouldn't be around long enough to report the symptoms.

No, if they unleashed (an effective) *chemical* warfare agent, the people would be dead now.

BIOLOGICAL agents all take longer to kill, from 1-14 days. And if it's designed to kill by contagion, you don't *want* the victims dying immediately, you want to leave them time to wander around for a while and infect others.

6 posted on 09/26/2001 6:25:12 PM PDT by Dan Day

Was Rosie riding the train again?
7 posted on 09/26/2001 6:25:50 PM PDT by Charles Henrickson

Maybe not, Riley. Anthrax takes a few days to kill. We've become conditioned by movies to think of chemical or biological weapons as instant death, though I imagine there are many out there which work their ill considerably slower.

8 posted on 09/26/2001 6:26:19 PM PDT by MississippiMan

With these symptoms and the immediacy of onset, I would think that it would more likely be chemical than biological.

But you're right; it's probably nothing.

9 posted on 09/26/2001 6:26:45 PM PDT by BurkeanCyclist

Oh, I agree. Somebody smelt something funny in the subway, started getting sick, vomitting, then mass hysteria. The LAPD, LAFD are taking it seriously though. If it's mass hysteria, 2 cops fell victim to it as well.

I doubt it's mass hysteria.

More likely, there were actually some irritating fumes, either from a generator, a closed flue in a subway restaurant kitchen, spilled cleaning fluid, etc.

10 posted on 09/26/2001 6:27:17 PM PDT by Dan Day
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

To: Dan Day
You're right. (God, I hate saying that. LOL). I was thinking chemical.
11 posted on 09/26/2001 6:27:26 PM PDT by riley1992
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 6 | View Replies]

Got your gas mask yet riley?
12 posted on 09/26/2001 6:27:52 PM PDT by FormerLurker
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8 | View Replies]

To: MississippiMan, BurkeanCyclist
Please see reply #11. It goes against everything I am to admit I am wrong more than once in a thread. LOL
13 posted on 09/26/2001 6:29:42 PM PDT by riley1992
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8 | View Replies]

To: BurkeanCyclist
With these symptoms and the immediacy of onset, I would think that it would more likely be chemical than biological.

I wouldn't rule out chemical weapons either. Some take a while to kill, but the effects are immediately noticable...

14 posted on 09/26/2001 6:29:54 PM PDT by FormerLurker
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 9 | View Replies]

I'd think they wouldn't even notice for several days. If it's a chemical attack, remember lots of people made it out alive from Tokyo when that subway was hit with sarin.

The police officers getting sick isn't surprising to me. They have no doubt been told lots of nasty info lately about chem and biologicals, and it's weighing, and now what do they hear over their radios? Their worst nightmare.

15 posted on 09/26/2001 6:30:06 PM PDT by Chemist_Geek

To: FormerLurker
Nope. When is your Senator picking you up to go shopping for yours?
16 posted on 09/26/2001 6:30:31 PM PDT by riley1992
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 12 | View Replies]

To: Chemist_Geek
It has to be weighing on their minds heavily.
17 posted on 09/26/2001 6:32:04 PM PDT by riley1992
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 15 | View Replies]

Actually I've got a chemical mask for noxious fumes. Don't know if it'd work against the heavy stuff though. Most people don't have any protection at all..
18 posted on 09/26/2001 6:32:30 PM PDT by FormerLurker
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 16 | View Replies]

Nothing other than the immediate symptoms of sore throats and burning eyes to report. That pretty much is the extent as of now of any injuries. The subway is still shut down though. All 3 local news shows have gone to national news now, so it appears it is considered something minor. Thank goodness. LA would be chaotic after a chemical or biological attack.
19 posted on 09/26/2001 6:33:31 PM PDT by dogbyte12
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 16 | View Replies]

The incubation period for smallpox is typically 10 to 12 days. The incubation period for anthrax is typically 2 to 5 days. The incubation period for tularemia is usually 3 days.

20 posted on 09/26/2001 6:33:39 PM PDT by aristeides (demosthenes@olg.com)

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-6061 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson