Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

An Open Letter to the "Anti-War" Demonstrators: Think Twice Before You Bring The War Home
http://www.frontpagemag.com ^ | September 27, 2001 | David Horowitz

Posted on 09/27/2001 1:08:51 AM PDT by Helix

An Open Letter to the "Anti-War" Demonstrators: Think Twice Before You Bring The War Home

FrontPageMagazine.com September 27,2001

I AM a former anti-war activist who helped to organize the first campus demonstration against the war in Vietnam at the University of California, Berkeley in 1962. I appeal to all those young people who participated in "anti-war" demonstrations on 150 college campuses this week, to think again and not to join an "anti-war" effort against America’s coming battle with international terrorism.

The hindsight of history has shown that our efforts in the 1960s to end the war in Vietnam had two practical effects. The first was to prolong the war itself. Every testimony by North Vietnamese generals in the postwar years has affirmed that they knew they could not defeat the United States on the battlefield, and that they counted on the division of our people at home to win the war for them. The Vietcong forces we were fighting in South Vietnam were destroyed in 1968. In other words, most of the war and most of the casualties in the war occurred because the dictatorship of North Vietnam counted on the fact Americans would give up the battle rather than pay the price necessary to win it. This is what happened. The blood of hundreds of thousands of Vietnamese, and tens of thousands of Americans, is on the hands of the anti-war activists who prolonged the struggle and gave victory to the Communists.

The second effect of the war was to surrender South Vietnam to the forces of Communism. This resulted in the imposition of a monstrous police state, the murder of hundreds of thousands of innocent South Vietnamese, the incarceration in "re-education camps" of hundreds of thousands more, and a quarter of a century of abject poverty imposed by crackpot Marxist economic plans, which continue to this day. This, too, is the responsibility of the so-called anti-war movement of the 1960s.

I say "so-called anti-war movement," because while many Americans were sincerely troubled by America’s war effort, the organizers of this movement were Marxists and radicals who supported a Communist victory and an American defeat. Today the same people and their youthful followers are organizing the campus demonstrations against America’s effort to defend its citizens against the forces of international terrorism and anti-American hatred, responsible for the September attacks.

I know, better than most, the importance of protecting freedom of speech and the right of citizens to dissent. But I also know better than most, that there is a difference between honest dissent and malevolent hate, between criticism of national policy, and sabotage of the nation’s defenses. In the 1960s and 1970s, the tolerance of anti-American hatreds was so high, that the line between dissent and treason was eventually erased. Along with thousands of other New Leftists, I was one who crossed the line between dissent and actual treason. (I have written an account of these matters in my autobiography, Radical Son). I did so for what I thought were the noblest of reasons: to advance the cause of "social justice" and "peace." I have lived to see how wrong I was and how much damage we did – especially to those whose cause we claimed to embrace, the peasants of Indo-China who suffered grievously from our support for the Communist enemy. I came to see how precious are the freedoms and opportunities afforded by America to the poorest and most humble of its citizens, and how rare its virtues are in the world at large.

If I have one regret from my radical years, it is that this country was too tolerant towards the treason of its enemies within. If patriotic Americans had been more vigilant in the defense of their country, if they had called things by their right names, if they had confronted us with the seriousness of our attacks, they might have caught the attention of those of us who were well-meaning but utterly misguided. And they might have stopped us in our tracks.

This appeal is for those of you who are out there today attacking your country, full of your own self-righteousness, but who one day might also live to regret what you have done.

David Horowitz is editor-in-chief of FrontPageMagazine.com and president of the Center for the Study of Popular Culture.

TOPICS: Editorial; News/Current Events
KEYWORDS:
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-6061 next last
Horowitz is zinging the anti-American crowd where they dwell. Go to the main URL below to see which college newspapers this ad is running in this weekend-

http://www.frontpagemag.com

1 posted on 09/27/2001 1:08:51 AM PDT by Helix
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: kristinn, Grampa Dave, brat, big ern, Kaj, catfur
Just a PING for tomorrow
2 posted on 09/27/2001 1:16:18 AM PDT by Helix
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: , rockfish59, nunya bidness,, LisaFab, JulieRNR21,, Dave Dilegge, Angelwood
PING
3 posted on 09/27/2001 1:16:59 AM PDT by Helix

To: Helix
Boy, is this post ever the truth. Maybe this time we will have the courage to do something effective about the enemy within. Lincoln's treatment of the Northern anti - war faction comes to mind - Andersonvilles in the North and no habeus corpus. Most of them died.
4 posted on 09/27/2001 1:21:49 AM PDT by Iris7

To: Iris7
I agree. They may have the right to free speech, but so do I and I will not let these people treat our troops like they did in Vietnam. I want our soldiers to realise that most of the public is behind them. I can't remember who said this, but

"I will not go quietly into the night..."

Hey maybe I could use that on a sign at the D.C. infinite freep. ;)

5 posted on 09/27/2001 1:32:03 AM PDT by Helix
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

Horowitz usually makes a lot of sense. But in this case I think he is full of himself, taking much more credit, than was actually earned. I doubt he is actually concerned about the current impending action, and the effect any anti-war efforts might have on it. My suspicion is he is looking to the future, at other protracted conflicts around the world, where the U.S. might also be able to involve itself. Anti-war activists could effectively prevent the expansion of the current cause for action, from encompassing other conflicts. But it is doubtful, that they will have any effective on the current matter at hand. And I think Horowitz knows this.
6 posted on 09/27/2001 1:40:57 AM PDT by jackbob

Dylan Thomas, Welsh Poet, 1914-1953

Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night (1951)

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
Though wise men at their end know dark is right,
Because their words had forked no lightning they
Do not go gentle into that good night.
Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,
Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight,
And learn, too late, they grieved it on its way,
Grave men, near death, who see with blinding sight
Blind eyes could blaze like meteors and be gay,
And you, my father, there on the sad height,
Curse, bless me now with your fierce tears, I pray.
7 posted on 09/27/2001 2:07:50 AM PDT by Gordian Blade
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

To: jackbob
Horowitz was a self-serving jerk in the '60s and he's one now. His "analysis" is c**p and irrelevant.

Survival always tops freedom. How tolerant we are of dissent depends on how directly our survival is threatened.

In Viet Nam we were fighting far from home for reasons that a large part of the public found not believeable. Today we have been attacked at home by terrible enemies. What Lincoln faced need hardly be described.
8 posted on 09/27/2001 2:09:14 AM PDT by liberallarry
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 6 | View Replies]

like he said, they are NOT anti-war but anti-AMERICAN!

i will give free knuckle sandwiches when they march by me! someone's going to get hurt and that's just tuff $H*T!!!

9 posted on 09/27/2001 2:18:49 AM PDT by rockfish59
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

To: liberallarry
Horiwitz lived it. Obviously, from your statements, you are not a student of history nor were you alive/cognizant then.
10 posted on 09/27/2001 2:20:55 AM PDT by beekeeper
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8 | View Replies]

To: beekeeper
Wrong. I am Horowitz' age. I am a student of history. I just have a different view of the situation. That's always the case when one looks at history. Of course, you can question how good a student I am, but that too is always the case.
11 posted on 09/27/2001 2:24:53 AM PDT by liberallarry
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 10 | View Replies]

Nice reply. I was a little snotty and apologize. I am a vet, so biased in that respect, but was there and saw the difference between what was reported in our national news and what was actually happening. The slant was so steep that the truth fell off. Same with the domestic treatment in the news of the protesters.

What Vietnam taught us is exactly what Bush I did in the Gulf War, when you go in, go in with overwhelming force, totally unlike what Johnson did with all the constraints laid on us. If GWB does what I hope he does, go with force and behind the scenes, with no restraints, it will be a much quicker war and less chance for opposition to develop. Plus, there is no USSR to assist the protestors.

12 posted on 09/27/2001 2:36:54 AM PDT by beekeeper
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 11 | View Replies]

By the way, Tom Hayden lived it too. How well do you like him?
13 posted on 09/27/2001 2:40:12 AM PDT by liberallarry
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 10 | View Replies]

To: Hugh Akston
Lookie here.
14 posted on 09/27/2001 2:47:12 AM PDT by Neets
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

Same problem. Oliver Stone was a vet. Several of my friends are vets. Their views differ from yours.
I lived in Venice, Ca. during the '60s while attending UCLA. I was right in the heart of it. I knew a lot of these guys and shared their politics and their women and their dope. It was a great time to be young and alive. But I also had a couple of run-ins with Tom Hayden.
These activists were extremely bright and ambitious. It's very hard to separate their ambition from their ideals. Also, almost to a man, they were self-righteous and intolerant. I'm not blaming them. Part of it was a reaction to the intolerance of their adversaries and part just ordinary, garden variety, human nature.
15 posted on 09/27/2001 2:47:40 AM PDT by liberallarry
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 12 | View Replies]

To: jackbob
They might not have any impact.

But I think Horowitz is right in what they intend to do; if they succeed or not is going to be interesting to see. This might interest you.

16 posted on 09/27/2001 3:00:03 AM PDT by Hugh Akston
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 6 | View Replies]

bump
17 posted on 09/27/2001 5:27:10 AM PDT by Snuffington

bump

Here is something that people can do to contribute to the war effort -- help Horowitz's ad campaign.

18 posted on 09/27/2001 5:44:21 AM PDT by No Truce With Kings

GO David Horowitz GO!
19 posted on 09/27/2001 6:29:59 AM PDT by VoodooEconomist

Horowitz was a self-serving jerk in the '60s and he's one now. His "analysis" is c**p and irrelevant.

Hardly. You just don't like him because he's an honest (ex-)liberal, who saw the light when he opened his mind and realized the bankrupt ways of liberalism. Terrorists, Communists and liberals share one thing in common - they hate Western affluence and consumption.

20 posted on 09/27/2001 6:32:53 AM PDT by VoodooEconomist
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8 | View Replies]

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-6061 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson