Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Dianne Feinstein suggests tracking of foreign students
Associated Press (via San Jose Mercury News) ^ | 26 September 2001 | Mark Sherman

Posted on 09/27/2001 10:27:16 AM PDT by CounterCounterCulture

Posted at 6:11 p.m. PDT Wednesday, Sept. 26, 2001

Feinstein suggests tracking of foreign students

BY MARK SHERMAN
Associated Press

WASHINGTON -- Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., wants to close U.S. borders to new foreign students for six months to give immigration authorities time to put in place initial background checks and a tracking system once students are in this country.

The proposal was prompted by the discovery that a suspected hijacker in the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks entered the country with a student visa. Hani Hanjour, suspected of being on the airliner that crashed into the Pentagon, said he would study English at Holy Names College in Oakland, Calif., but never enrolled.

``I know this isn't politically correct, but what has happened ... indicates I think serious caution is a prudent thing on our part,'' Feinstein said in an interview Wednesday.

Feinstein, who plans to introduce her proposal in coming weeks, would suspend student visas for six months while the Immigration and Naturalization Service readied a system of performing background checks on applicants for student visas.

Foreign students apply to U.S. schools from their home countries, then go to the nearest U.S. consulate or embassy to apply for a visa. The State Department decides whether a visa should be issued, but Feinstein said it is crucial to have INS involved in the screening process.

Her legislation also will call for giving the INS $32.3 million for a computerized monitoring system to track foreign students once they are in the country. The system would apply to the nearly 600,000 foreign students at U.S. colleges and universities.

Congress authorized such a database in response to the 1993 bombing of the World Trade Center. But the program languished amid political opposition and remains only a pilot project involving 25 schools in the Southeast.

The database program, which is supposed to be fully operational by 2003, would require schools to report any change in a foreign student's status, such as enrollment, change of major or a move to a new address.

``Our country is a sieve,'' Feinstein said. ``These visas are being misused and the time has come to do something about it.''

The University of Southern California, New York University and the University of Wisconsin-Madison have the highest number of foreign students, according to the American Council on Education. Its members include most accredited American colleges and universities.

David Ward, the council's president, said he opposes a suspension of visas, but supports a tracking system and stepped-up screening of visa applicants.

``Our view would be that since student visas are only 2 percent of the total, it really isn't solving the security problem,'' Ward said. ``People can come as visitors and in many other ways.''

Ward said similar legislation proposed by Sen. Kit Bond, R-Mo., would tighten screening and hold institutions more accountable for their foreign students without shutting down the visa program.

Meanwhile, Sen. Barbara Boxer, D-Calif., said Wednesday she would propose legislation to bring back the U.S. Travel and Tourism Administration to aid the battered travel industry in attracting foreign visitors to the United States. The Republican-led Congress abolished the agency and its $16 million annual budget in 1996.

TOPICS: News/Current Events
KEYWORDS:
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-40 next last

1 posted on 09/27/2001 10:27:16 AM PDT by CounterCounterCulture
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: CounterCounterCulture
Maybe we should bring back HUAC?
2 posted on 09/27/2001 10:29:18 AM PDT by ken5050
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

geee.. won't that hurt their self-esteem?
3 posted on 09/27/2001 10:29:45 AM PDT by Lexington Green

Feinstein suggests tracking of foreign students Except for illegal aliens from Mexico.
4 posted on 09/27/2001 10:30:09 AM PDT by MistrX

To: MistrX
Maybe we should start internment camps for liberals.
5 posted on 09/27/2001 10:32:41 AM PDT by eFudd
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

Dang right-wing extremist.
6 posted on 09/27/2001 10:37:17 AM PDT by AppyPappy

Except of course, tracking [Red] Chinese students.

If there ever was a place from which we can expect a chemical or biological attack, it is from the biology and chemistry labs at university, where the many, many students giving help and aid to the terrorists, are.

7 posted on 09/27/2001 10:37:31 AM PDT by First_Salute

Why don't we just implant everybody that comes inour country with a little radio triggering pellet so they can be monitored by the "Homeland Defense Rangers".

If they attempt to remove the pellet, signals go out and the Rangers pick them up for immediate deportation.

When they time of visiting is up, the Rangers are able to make sure they get their arses out of the country.

That, of course, doesn't help with the illegal aliens....but I daresay buckshot would control that. Oops, not politically PC---hell, dive bombing WTC and Pentagon wasn't politically correct either!

8 posted on 09/27/2001 10:40:29 AM PDT by Rowdee

The U.S. "Travel and Tourism Administration" was the Clintonista Welcoming Committee.

If brought back, will it be a branch of the Office of Homeland Security?

9 posted on 09/27/2001 10:40:40 AM PDT by First_Salute

Dianne Feinswine = RACIAL PROFILER

Somebody alert "Reverend" Al!

10 posted on 09/27/2001 10:41:27 AM PDT by CounterCounterCulture

I'm willing to go beyond this. I would like to take this to the next level. Let's not only monitor those here on student visas, but extend it to work visas also. I would require those on work visas to immediately report any changes in address, etc. to the police. Some of those here on H1B's move around from project to project. I would require not only them, but their employer as well to report to the authorities changes in work assignments and locations.

In no way is this an infringement on their civil liberties. They are here as our guests, and should respect us enough and what's happened here to feel obliged to report to us their whereabouts.

11 posted on 09/27/2001 10:42:04 AM PDT by TKEman

To: First_Salute
I agree. I said this in a post about two days before September 11, and was called a bigot and a racist by some jaggoff pseudointellectual 'Professor'.

Deport all these idiot Arab students, then try the professors and their chairmen for treason.

Deport aliens!

12 posted on 09/27/2001 10:42:30 AM PDT by caddie
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 7 | View Replies]

To: First_Salute
Hey, all Californians should immediately e-mail DiFi with the above suggestions included in her call for closing the borders. I will and I hope others will. Let's not let her out of this effort. We could even mail Boxer and tell her we are supporting DiFi's efforts ( with our suggestons too). Who knows? Maybe the two libs will be sucked in in a burst of patriotism.
13 posted on 09/27/2001 10:43:03 AM PDT by phillyfanatic
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 7 | View Replies]

Welcome to the real world, Dianne. Your politically correct ivory tower is a bit shakey these days, huh?
14 posted on 09/27/2001 10:45:20 AM PDT by Rockitz

Meanwhile, Sen. Barbara Boxer, D-Calif., said Wednesday she would propose legislation to bring back the U.S. Travel and Tourism Administration to aid the battered travel industry in attracting foreign visitors to the United States. The Republican-led Congress abolished the agency and its $16 million annual budget in 1996.

This little nasty tidbit at the end of the article caught my eye..... I don't want my tax dollars spent to bring in foreign visitors.
I hate it when I have a Senator for an Idiot.

15 posted on 09/27/2001 10:46:27 AM PDT by CheneyChick

Isn't this process called profiling? When police officers do it they are criticized and fired. Why should it be different for a liberal Senator who a month ago was probably decrying profiling as a revolting practice?
16 posted on 09/27/2001 10:49:20 AM PDT by Movemout

Thanks for posting this!

Lets close the borders to all illegal aliens and any so called alien college student not here! Any alien college student here now should be thoroughly investigated!

Then every illegal alien, brown, yellow, white, black, red, pink or rainbow should be rounded up and checked out. Those not implicated in 9/11 or past flag burning/hate America activities should be returned to their home country immediately! They should be warned, that if they are caught back in this country again as illegal aliens, they will be locked up in Alaska for the duration of this war on terrorism! Those involved in the 9/11 mass murder of 7,000 Americans should be tried for murder and executed!

17 posted on 09/27/2001 10:49:37 AM PDT by Grampa Dave

To: CheneyChick
This little nasty tidbit at the end of the article caught my eye..... I don't want my tax dollars spent to bring in foreign visitors. I hate it when I have a Senator for an Idiot.

I know, here we have Fineswine wanting to control and monitor foreigners and in the same breath spend my money to bring in more.

Complete j@ckass to the end.

18 posted on 09/27/2001 10:51:27 AM PDT by NativeSon
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 15 | View Replies]

To: TKEman
Yes, and let's also require those enemies of the nation who are citizens (Bill Clinton, Jesse Jackson and hundreds of thousands of others) etc. to register with their local police authorities...
19 posted on 09/27/2001 10:53:35 AM PDT by geros
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 11 | View Replies]

``I know this isn't politically correct, but what has happened ... indicates I think serious caution is a prudent thing on our part,'' Feinstein said in an interview Wednesday.

So it takes this long for this "mud fence dumb" woman to notice that immigration has been a problem? God, how it must have galled her to have to be politically incorrect for once.

20 posted on 09/27/2001 10:53:54 AM PDT by EggsAckley

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-40 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson