Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Bush Urges Americans Show Religious Tolerance (Bush Given Copy of Koran)
Reuters ^ | 9/26/01 | Steve Holland

Posted on 09/27/2001 6:28:34 PM PDT by mafree

Sitting amid a group of turbaned, bearded Sikhs, President Bush urged Americans on Wednesday to show tolerance after the Sept. 11 attacks provoked a backlash that appeared to include the killing of a Sikh.

Bush also met separately with a group of Muslim and Arab-American community leaders to try to convince Americans that Islam is a religion of peace. The FBI has said there have been dozens of ``retaliatory hate crimes'' aimed at Muslims and Arabs in America, including assaults, threats, arson and two murders that may have been ethnically motivated.

Meeting with the Muslims and Arabs in the White House Roosevelt Room, Bush denounced Saudi-born exile Osama bin Laden and his Islamic militant al Qaeda organization, saying they had no religious foundation and were based simply on evil.

``I have told the nation more than once that ours is a war against evil, against extremists, that the teachings of Islam are the teachings of peace and good,'' Bush said. ``And the al Qaeda organization is not an organization of good, an organization of peace. It's an organization based upon hate and evil.''

Muslim cleric Muzammil Siddiqi of the Islamic Society of North America gave Bush a copy of the Koran.

Some American Sikhs have been subjects of angry vitriol following the hijacked airliner attacks on Washington and New York because their turbans and robed clothing make them appear to some Americans like they are of Middle Eastern descent.

Balbir Singh Sodhi, 49, was shot to death on Sept. 15 at his Mesa, Arizona, gas station, and police said it appeared to be in reprisal for the attacks believed carried out by Islamic militants. The death prompted India to urge the United States to take steps to prevent assaults on Sikhs living in America, of which there are about 500,000.

BUSH URGES RESPECT

Seated with the Sikhs, Bush called Sodhi's death unjust and urged Americans to ``treat every human life as dear and to respect the values that made our country so different and so unique.''

``We're all Americans, bound together by common ideals and common values,'' Bush said.

According to his spokesman, Ari Fleischer, Bush was disturbed by a comment made last week from Republican Rep. John Cooksey of Louisiana, who said, ``If I see someone come in that's got a diaper on his head and a fan belt wrapped around the diaper on his head, that guy needs to be pulled over.'' Cooksey later apologized for his remarks.

A poll released by Zogby International on Wednesday showed a majority of Americans were concerned about Muslim- and Arab- Americans. It said 42.4 percent were very concerned and 44.3 percent were somewhat concerned about Arab-Americans, and nearly identical numbers were reported for Muslim-Americans.

On Capitol Hill, Democratic and Republican leaders, flanked by persons of a variety of faiths, held a news conference to promote tolerance as well as unity against terrorism.

``The overwhelming majority of people understand that we get through hard times by turning to each other, not on each other,'' said Senate Democratic leader Tom Daschle of South Dakota.

``Unfortunately, not everyone understands that,'' Daschle said. ``In the last couple of weeks, hundreds of crimes in dozens in states have been reported against Muslims, Arab-Americans, Sikhs and others.''

``Just as the terrorists betray the peaceful teaching of Islam, the people who committed these hate crimes betray our ideals as a nation,'' Daschle said.

Assistant Senate Republican leader Don Nickles of Oklahoma, said: ``I think the terrorists tried to divide America. They failed. We are united like never before.''

``Sikhs who wear beards and turbans and carry a religious ceremonial sword are not followers of Osama bin Laden, they are patriotic, law-abiding, peace-loving Americans,'' a group of Sikhs upset by the attacks against them said in a statement.

TOPICS: Front Page News; Government; News/Current Events
KEYWORDS:
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-27 next last
What do you think of Bush accepting a copy of the Koran? Is it good, bad, or does it make no difference to what we're trying to accomplish?
1 posted on 09/27/2001 6:28:34 PM PDT by mafree
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: mafree
What do you think of Bush accepting a copy of the Koran? Is it good, bad, or does it make no difference to what we're trying to accomplish?
Some will have a problem with it but I don't. He was just being polite.
2 posted on 09/27/2001 6:43:57 PM PDT by DallasMike
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

It might be good. If there is a way to convince some Muslims that there are two kinds, "moderate" and "fanatic" and convince many that they want to be moderate and fight with us against the fanatic, then it is good. I don't really see any evidence the Islam is divided that way, I've heard of Shiites and Sunnis but I don't think that divides them into moderate and fanatic. It would be better to fight only half that Islamic world than all of it.
3 posted on 09/27/2001 6:50:08 PM PDT by FITZ

What do you think of Bush accepting a copy of the Koran?

Did Bush reply in kind and hand out copies of the Bible?

4 posted on 09/27/2001 6:56:50 PM PDT by randog

Comment #5 Removed by Moderator

I'm a total knuckle-dragging Fundamentalist Christian and that act in itself doesn't trouble me. (Yes, I'd rather Bush had given him a copy of the Bible, and/or maybe a couple of tracts in exchange; but as President, he's a bit hamstrung.)

What did bother me was a picture of born-again Christian / fairly-newly-elected President Jimmy Carter in I think) Time magazine, getting a red dot on his forehead, "Accepting" (as the caption read) "the mark of a Hindu worshiper."

There's a difference.

Dan

6 posted on 09/27/2001 7:12:38 PM PDT by BibChr

Comment #7 Removed by Moderator

Of course it's good. President Bush is trying to build a coalition in the middle east to win not just the battle of retaliation for the WTC bombing, but for the war against terrorism.

We will not be able to win this war without the partnership and support of the majority moderate population in the middle east. It is going to be a delicate process to win back the trust that was so decimated by "bj bomber bill" clinton.

Ultimately, the moderate majority has to be given the mandate to do the policing and elimination of terrorists themselves. Radical's, such as bin laden, pose as much threat to the people in the middle east as they do to us.

8 posted on 09/27/2001 7:29:30 PM PDT by jmp702

What do you think of Bush accepting a copy of the Koran?

I have no problem with it.

9 posted on 09/27/2001 7:33:07 PM PDT by Pokey78

II Jn 1:7-11
Many deceivers, who do not acknowledge Jesus Christ as coming in the flesh, have gone out into the world. Any such person is the deceiver and the antichrist. Watch out that you do not lose what you have worked for, but that you may be rewarded fully. Anyone who runs ahead and does not continue in the teaching of Christ does not have God; whoever continues in the teaching has both the Father and the Son. If anyone comes to you and does not bring this teaching, do not take him into your house or welcome him. Anyone who welcomes him shares in his wicked work.
(NIV)
10 posted on 09/27/2001 7:44:30 PM PDT by Keyes For President

To: BibChr
Dan, in case you haven't seen it, I would direct you to this thread, which is quite beautiful:

Bush: Tell My Southern Baptist Friends How Much I Love Them

11 posted on 09/27/2001 7:49:16 PM PDT by Miss Marple
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 6 | View Replies]

To: BibChr
Yes, I'd rather Bush had given him a copy of the Bible, and/or maybe a couple of tracts in exchange; but as President, he's a bit hamstrung

Yeah, can you imagine the howls from the ACLU and the Freedom From Religion Foundation if he had done that.

12 posted on 09/27/2001 7:57:24 PM PDT by mafree
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 6 | View Replies]

Seems to me W's nose appears a bit brown of late, since he has apparently been busying himself kissing Islamic backsides these past two weeks.

Hell, we are so damn apologetic about being Christian, that we are by now virtually a de facto Islamic country.

Can ANYONE even IMAGINE for ONE SECOND our military changing the name of a major mission to protect the sensitivities of Christians in this country? (Didn't think so.)

13 posted on 09/27/2001 8:56:33 PM PDT by BenR2

To: BenR2
Can ANYONE even IMAGINE for ONE SECOND our military changing the name of a major mission to protect the sensitivities of Christians in this country? (Didn't think so.)

We lost the first battle when our paper tiger national security allowed the 911 attack to occur.

We lost the second battle when Bush apologized for using the word "crusade" because it offended the enemy.

We lost the third battle when "Operation Infinite Justice" was dropped because the name offended the enemy.

Strike one. Strike two. Strike three.

The U.S. is out!

14 posted on 09/27/2001 9:06:55 PM PDT by 1000Mhz
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 13 | View Replies]

Its not a problem. Muslims are constituents too. They shouldn't be treated like aliens.
15 posted on 09/27/2001 9:10:38 PM PDT by Conservative til I die

To: 1000Mhz
Great post. America has become balkanized...
16 posted on 09/27/2001 9:20:03 PM PDT by StealthChild
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 14 | View Replies]

What I'm more interested in is an explanation from these "moderate" Muslims as to why there is such a discrepancy between many quotes of Mohammed that teach and encourage violence against non-Muslims and their protests that Islam is a peaceful religion. I really would like to know how they reconcile the two.
17 posted on 09/27/2001 9:55:34 PM PDT by ChocChipCookie

On Friday, Sept. 28, after reading the Koran, Bush emerges a new man...

18 posted on 09/27/2001 10:34:14 PM PDT by StealthChild

To: DallasMike
This is good. We do not want to look like our enemies. Please encourage friends and family to be tolerant.
19 posted on 09/27/2001 10:39:15 PM PDT by dalebert
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

I am absolutely amazed at how many pacifists exist among our citizens and how many of them post on FR. Bush was just being polite? It terrifies to see how few Americans grasp the concept of being at war, up to and including our C. in Chief. Every one of those muslim groups on the dais with the President collect money for viciously anti-semitic groups. Personally, I don't think Bush knows anymore than the State Department wants him to know.
20 posted on 09/27/2001 10:58:36 PM PDT by Havisham

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-27 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson