Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Kabul (Christian) Aid Workers Trial Set To Resume.
BBC ^ | 9-29-2001

Posted on 09/28/2001 8:07:29 PM PDT by blam

Saturday, 29 September, 2001, 01:24 GMT 02:24 UK

Kabul aid workers' trial set to resume

The trial of eight westerners on trial in Afghanistan for allegedly preaching Christianity is due to resume in Kabul on Saturday.
The Pakistani lawyer representing the eight, Asif Ali Khan, has left Peshawar in Pakistan for Kabul and hopes to see his clients before the court session begins.

Officials at the Taleban Embassy in Pakistan said Mr Atif Ali and another lawyer had been issued visas and a letter giving them safe passage to Kabul.

The two Americans, two Australians and four Germans are now the only foreigners left inside Taleban-controlled Afghanistan, apart from Muslim militants - most famously, Osama Bin Laden.

Proceedings were disrupted after the 11 September attacks on America, when diplomats and relatives left Afghanistan.

Washington demands release

Washington has demanded that the Taleban release the eight unconditionally. That seems unlikely at this stage.

State Department spokesman Richard Boucher said Mr Atif Ali has an appointment to meet Taleban officials at 1000 (0530 GMT) on Saturday but has no assurances that they will allow him to visit the detainees.

He added that the parents of the two American detainees were in Islamabad and had sent a package containing food, medicine, letters and personal items with the lawyer.

Preaching Christianity is one of the most serious crimes under Taleban law.

However, Taleban officials have said they will protect the westerners in the event of any American attack.

The same honour code which has made it difficult for the Taleban to deport Osama Bin Laden, whom they view as a guest in their country, may well also protect the eight Westerners.

They have now been in custody for almost two months.

The only messages that have reached family and diplomats since 11 September have been via the Taleban foreign ministry.

Sixteen Afghans arrested at the same time have still had no contact with the outside world.

TOPICS: Foreign Affairs; News/Current Events
KEYWORDS:
Just say over and over again, It's not about religion.
1 posted on 09/28/2001 8:07:29 PM PDT by blam
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: blam
Kabul???

KABOOM!

2 posted on 09/28/2001 8:10:16 PM PDT by drstevej
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

Comment #3 Removed by Moderator

"honour code"

Excuse me?

4 posted on 09/28/2001 8:14:46 PM PDT by Jalapeno

As I see it, these are Americans AND allies in peril. I believe it is our duty to use every available means to secure their release. I don't want to see one more dead American OR ally.
5 posted on 09/28/2001 8:15:55 PM PDT by teletech

To: teletech
"I believe it is our duty to use every available means to secure their release."

Release? They're threatning to kill them. I think a commando raid would be appropriate. (Even overdue)

6 posted on 09/28/2001 8:49:16 PM PDT by blam
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

Release? They're threatning to kill them. I think a commando raid would be appropriate. (Even overdue)

Yes, I said released, but ehat I really meant is get 'em the hell out of there NOW!

7 posted on 09/28/2001 9:04:15 PM PDT by teletech
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 6 | View Replies]

To: teletech
Yup. PRONTO!
8 posted on 09/28/2001 9:08:27 PM PDT by blam
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 7 | View Replies]

Those primitives are barely better than apes.

Liberalism must be crushed!
9 posted on 09/28/2001 9:10:14 PM PDT by Thorondir

Get the girls out and then do this......

I love this job!
Click the pic for a better look.

10 posted on 09/28/2001 9:14:05 PM PDT by is_is

And they have the nerve to say we worship the same God? I don't think so. Pray for God to save America.
11 posted on 09/28/2001 9:19:29 PM PDT by LadyForLiberty

To: is_is

Works for me!

12 posted on 09/28/2001 9:26:13 PM PDT by blam
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 10 | View Replies]

If found guilty, they will have their heads chopped off.

(Revelation 20:4 And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgment was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands; and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years.)

13 posted on 09/29/2001 12:15:05 AM PDT by JudyB1938
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 12 | View Replies]

November 14, 2001
The prayers have been answered.

They are Free!
Praise
Jesus!

..."Today we've got incredibly good news," President Bush said after the aid workers were plucked from Afghanistan by military helicopters and taken to Pakistan. "Our United States military rescued eight humanitarian workers who had been imprisoned in Afghanistan."

..."Eight foreign aid workers, including two Americans, were safe in Pakistan Wednesday after being held in Afghanistan for three months by the Taliban for preaching Christianity, U.S. officials said.
Three U.S. special forces helicopters picked up the aid workers in a field near Ghanzi, about 50 miles southwest of Kabul, at about 4:40 p.m. EST, Pentagon officials said. The aid workers were flown to Pakistan, and appear to be in good health, officials said."

Thank God. Praise God. Praise Jesus. The release/rescue of these people is truly a miracle that only God, working through people, could have accomplished.

I have learned over the years that when the very thing happens that you have been praying for, you Thank God For It; and you acknowledge His answer to prayer; and you DON'T minimize it by saying that it just would have happened on its own.

I am sure this rescue will prove to be an interesting story in human terms, but it is even more momentous as a miraculous answer to the many, many prayers of many, many people. Thank You Lord!

Links to breaking articles about the good news:

Taliban in Disarray; U.S. Rescues Aid Workers
Families Celebrate Aid Worker Release
Bush Welcomes Release of Aid Workers From Afghanistan
Freed Aid Workers Land in Pakistan
Christian Aid Workers Freed in Afghanistan
Western Aid Workers Freed
Report: Coalition forces have rescued foreign aid workers currently enroute Pakistan

Related Links:

Press Releases: Antioch Community Church, Waco, Texas (church of Mercer and Curry)
Afghan Update: NorthCity Christian Centre, Padbury Perth W. Australia (church of Bunch and Thomas)

14 posted on 11/16/2001 1:13:55 PM PST by Weirdad

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson