News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Officials: Clift had no credentials
KCRA-TV NBC Affiliate in Sacramento, CA ^ | 9/28/2001 | News Department

Posted on 09/28/2001 8:29:54 PM PDT by Swordmaker

Posted: 2:33 p.m. PDT September 25, 2001
Updated: 7:32 a.m. PDT September 28, 2001

SACRAMENTO -- A sixth-grade teacher has been put on administrative leave from a Del Paso Heights school for allegedly burning part of an American flag in a classroom one week after the recent terrorist attacks.

And on Thursday, state and county officials confirmed that the teacher, Kory Clift, did not have the proper credentials to be teaching.

Clift said in a written statement, however, that he did not burn the flag and that his "classroom lesson" about the flag was taken out of context.

.RelatedBox .Header {width: 120px; border : none; color: #ffffff; font-family: Verdana; line-height: 13px; font-size: 10px; text-align: center; background: #003366; background-color: #003366;} .RelatedBox .Links {font-size: 10px; line-height: 12px; font-family: Verdana; color: #000000; margin: 3px;} .RelatedBox .Links li {font-size: 10px; line-height: 12px; font-family: Verdana;}

Video
Cory Clift Video Clift Was Previously Disciplined
Click Here For Video Help

Clift is accused of burning the corner of a flag with a lighter, school district superintendent Carl Mack Jr. said.

School principal, Steve Skiffington said that Clift told his students to keep the alleged flag burning incident a secret.

"The United States was referred to as United snakes. A teacher told your children, 'If anyone asks what we do in this class, don't tell them what we do,'" Skiffington said.

Skiffington said that he does not want Clift to return to the school.

District officials made a decision on the teacher's fate Tuesday night, but, per district policy, the results were not made available.

"Generally, in my past history, the steps have ranged from any disciplinary action that I feel is appropriate all the way to termination," Mack said.

Clift, a second-year teacher, also allegedly said some "inflammatory" statements, according to Mack, including, "I can't burn it all because it's illegal."

In a letter given to KCRA 3, Clift said, "The intention of my classroom lesson concerning our American flag has been taken out of context. I did not burn our American flag ... I am not a Muslim nor do I support Osama bin Laden, terrorism or any other act of violence. We should not rush to judgement ... I do apologize for the misperceptions of inappropriate behavior taken out of context ... I respect America and believe in democracy."

Clift was disciplined previously by the district for locking a student in a closet as punishment, KCRA 3 reported.

North Avenue Elementary School

Clift has been put on administrative leave with pay pending the decision by the district, Mack said.

"This flag has been up on everybody's car, their house, to represent patriotism," parent Sonny Tupuanay said. "For (him) to do this ... I don't know."

About 30 students witnessed the alleged burning, officials said, but most didn't report the incident because they like the teacher.

Clift has reportedly left the area because of death threats.

Copyright 2001 by TheKCRAChannel. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

TOPICS: Front Page News; News/Current Events
KEYWORDS:
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-32 next last
Who hired this loser???

He is an unqualified, secretive, propagandist brainwashing our children.

1 posted on 09/28/2001 8:29:54 PM PDT by Swordmaker
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: Swordmaker
Kory Clift, did not have the proper credentials to be teaching...but he was a member in good standing with the National Education Association.
2 posted on 09/28/2001 8:37:07 PM PDT by Slyfox
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: All of a sudden, it was all made quite clear...
What is it again that is worth a 1000 words?
3 posted on 09/28/2001 8:41:53 PM PDT by Diddle E. Squat
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

How did he get hired without the proper credentials?

How many other idiots like Clift are there out in the public school system? The decay of the public school system probably answers the last question. The SAT test had to be re-designed (dumbed down) because the precipitous drop in SAT scores in the last 20 years was too embarrassing to the public school system.

4 posted on 09/28/2001 8:42:20 PM PDT by Hillary 666

... Kory Clift: Recent Sacramento State graduate Kory Clift is committed to making sure African American culture is preserved and respected. Clift, 24, teaches ...

The above is from a yahoo search. Article no longer available.

http://av.yahoo.com/bin/query?p=Kory+Clift&hq=site:www.sacobserver.com

Went to sacobserver.com website and they have a picture of this loser with a banner, Observer exclusive.

http://www.sacobserver.com/

Looks like they changed their opinion real quick.

5 posted on 09/28/2001 8:44:30 PM PDT by mdittmar

He is an unqualified, secretive, propagandist brainwashing our children.

Must be related to Eleanor Clift.

6 posted on 09/28/2001 8:45:55 PM PDT by RGSpincich

Public education strikes again.
7 posted on 09/28/2001 8:46:59 PM PDT by Storm Orphan

Clift has reportedly left the area because of death threats.

Well, imagine that!

8 posted on 09/28/2001 8:47:12 PM PDT by onyx

I'd love the opportunity to set his towel on fire. (Yes, of course without removing it.)
9 posted on 09/28/2001 8:47:53 PM PDT by doug from upland

If he had a child of mine in his care I would have shoved that Turbin up his anti-American arse. And to those folks that continue to send their kids to public schools..ARE YOU BLIND?
10 posted on 09/28/2001 8:51:29 PM PDT by Registered

And people wonder why California is full of liberals.... their school system sucks.... (it really does rank 49th out of 50)
11 posted on 09/28/2001 8:52:18 PM PDT by HamiltonJay

To: Diddle E. Squat
How about the fact that some public employee felt it was alright to place 30 impressionable young minds in his charge when he didn't even possess the minimal educational achievements and absurd credentialling and certification required by their own rules????
12 posted on 09/28/2001 8:54:38 PM PDT by Swordmaker
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

To: mdittmar
Kory Clift:

Recent Sacramento State graduate Kory Clift is committed to making sure African American culture is preserved and respected.

Clift, 24, teaches sixth grade students at North Avenue Elementary School within the Del Paso Heights School District.

"Children are being miseducated. They're not being taught how their culture played an important part in forming America," he asserted.

"The best thing on the Earth is Black beauty. From light yellow to blue Black ... our noses, our lips, the way we walk, the way we carry our bodies is beautiful. Our beauty is powerful," Clift proudly stated.

Some don't view Clift's choice of hair styles as powerful-in fact they see it as anything but.

"It comes with the territory," he said of his long locks. In the classroom, Clift uses his dreadlocks as an educational tool.

"It's like the story of Sampson. I tell them I am powerful and my hair is beautiful," he stated.

To Clift, women with natural hair and athletic builds are attractive.

"I define sexy as nicely shaped hips and thighs ... a soft voice," he shared.

This piece of human crap taught 6th graders. Unbelievable.

13 posted on 09/28/2001 8:57:11 PM PDT by Registered
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

YET another reason to homeschool. Care to have this character teach your kids about Western Civilization?
14 posted on 09/28/2001 8:59:40 PM PDT by SEA

To: Registered
"This flag has been up on everybody's car, their house, to represent patriotism," parent Sonny Tupuanay said. "For (him) to do this ... I don't know."

If this is the average response of the parents of these children, all I can say is, YOU'D DAMN WELL BETTER FIGURE IT OUT!

15 posted on 09/28/2001 9:04:05 PM PDT by terilyn
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 13 | View Replies]

To: RGSpincich

"Credentials? We don't need
no stinking credentials!"
16 posted on 09/28/2001 9:07:46 PM PDT by Atticus
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 6 | View Replies]

To: doug from upland
Just light at the beard. Uncleared 'brush' will provide fuel for the inferno that follows.
17 posted on 09/28/2001 9:12:00 PM PDT by 17th Miss Regt
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 9 | View Replies]

To: terilyn
Check out this quote from Kory found on the SacObserver website:

"I DO APOLOGIZE FOR THE MISPERCEPTIONS OF INAPPROPRIATE BEHAVIOIR TAKEN OUT OF CONTEXT.
Kory Clift

ROFLOL!!!

18 posted on 09/28/2001 9:13:08 PM PDT by Registered
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 15 | View Replies]

To: terilyn
Heeehee. Here's another (verbatim):

"I LOVE BEING A TEACHER. I WANT MY JOB SO BAD."
Kory Clift

Why anyone sends their kids to public school..(sigh)

19 posted on 09/28/2001 9:14:56 PM PDT by Registered
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 15 | View Replies]

To: RGSpincich
Do you mean Eleanor Clift, the TV show personality?
20 posted on 09/28/2001 9:19:34 PM PDT by Republicus2001
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 6 | View Replies]

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-32 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson