Skip to comments.

Possible attack on Afghanistan - US on the prowl from north
The Frontier Post (Pakistan) ^ | 9/29/2001 11:24:21 AM | Naveed Miraj

Posted on 09/29/2001 8:48:49 AM PDT by Enlightiator

Possible attack on Afghanistan
US on the prowl from north
Naveed Miraj
Updated on 9/29/2001 11:24:21 AM

ISLAMABAD: The United States military juggernaut is ready to jump into action against the Taliban of Afghanistan any time now, The Frontier Post has learnt.

The Pentagon's big hammer will fall on its target from the north, reliable sources told this scribe late Friday night.

"Although General Powell has said there will be no D-day for this war, Saturday night's action will be the nearest thing to eruption of a war," said a diplomat privy to details of the operation.

US ground forces stationed in Tajikistan are likely open assault of the Taliban territory from forward bases of the opposition Northern Alliance, he said.

The ground assault will be preceded by surgical air strikes in the frontline areas and probably deep into the Taliban territory.

As well, the Pentagon is making sure air cover for its ground forces.

Top American officials have said the US will not play to the strengths of the Taliban militia, which is considered masters of gorilla warfare.

On the other hand, reports have suggested US and British Special Forces are already in Afghanistan.

A report on Friday said US forces had conducted scouting missions in Afghanistan.

It now appears that the Special Forces already in Afghanistan have gathered the necessary cartographic information to pave the way for a conventional assault.

It is possible that these troops, so far involved in exploratory activities, will join action when the assault from the north starts.

They may seek to converge on a strategic point or strike their own targets in concert with the northern assault.

The Frontier Post has also learnt of unusual activity in Pakistan's Chitral area bordering Afghanistan.

Chitral is in the geographic proximity of Kabul, and has a modern airport.

The apparent goal of the US military action is capturing alleged terrorist mastermind Osama bin Laden and hundreds of his followers.

Bin laden is prime suspect for planning and ordering the September 11 horror attacks in the US.

However, Pakistan has been apprehensive of a US move to overthrow the Taliban government, which is has openly resented.

TOPICS: Breaking News; News/Current Events
KEYWORDS: afghanistan
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-6061-80 ... 101-111 next last
Its already Saturday night in Afghanistan, so I am now posting the article above since it may be significant. There have been many claims of impending US actions, so I am cautious about accepting this article at face value. However in reviewing other events, such as the State Department issuing the the first travel advisory overseas since the September 11 attacks and this recently posted article by AmericanInTokyo:

U.S. Armed Forces Line Up Use of 12 Bases Near Afghans (Open Source), the above article may indeed be worth noting.

1 posted on 09/29/2001 8:48:49 AM PDT by Enlightiator
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: Enlightiator
"Although General Powell has said there will be no D-day for this war, Saturday night's action will be the nearest thing to eruption of a war," said a diplomat privy to details of the operation.

The reporter and/or diplomat should check his facts. The D-Day quote came from Donald Rumsfeld.

2 posted on 09/29/2001 8:51:49 AM PDT by Recovering_Democrat
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

the US will not play to the strengths of the Taliban militia, which is considered masters of gorilla warfare.

guerilla?

3 posted on 09/29/2001 8:52:42 AM PDT by Recovering_Democrat

We are getting some "hints" of action today. A lot of disparate information -- some of it from traditionally suspect sources. If enough of this keeps appearing, the weight will incline toward something going down -- or having already gone down.

Obviously, something is going on, recon if nothing else. The lock-down on info is spectacular, we should hope we get nothing but apparently random reports, for that is the only way to fight this kind of war.

4 posted on 09/29/2001 8:55:35 AM PDT by Scott from the Left Coast

To: Recovering_Democrat
the US will not play to the strengths of the Taliban militia, which is considered masters of gorilla warfare

Just our luck. First the Viet Kong, now the King Kong.

5 posted on 09/29/2001 8:56:43 AM PDT by JennysCool
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

Top American officials have said the US will not play to the strengths of the Taliban militia, which is considered masters of gorilla warfare.

You mean they beat their chests and make a lot of noise? Yeah, I've noticed that.

6 posted on 09/29/2001 8:59:17 AM PDT by BurkeanCyclist

If this is true....God be with them!

All this talk about Afganistan kicking our butts because no one has ever defeated them on their soil....deserves a simple reply..... "There's always a first time." (Just ask Saddam- I don't think he thought we could fight in the desert either)

7 posted on 09/29/2001 8:59:35 AM PDT by thingumbob

To: JennysCool
King Kong!

That was friggin' hilarious!!!!!

8 posted on 09/29/2001 9:00:18 AM PDT by SubSailor
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

On the other hand, reports have suggested US and British Special Forces are already in Afghanistan.

Most of the Special Ops articles, to my knowledge, have occurred this week, including one I posted yesterday.

My thinking is that the Special Ops stuff wasn't leaked until their jobs were completed, which included "scouting."

9 posted on 09/29/2001 9:01:07 AM PDT by hispanarepublicana

To: Recovering_Democrat
the US will not play to the strengths of the Taliban militia, which is considered masters of gorilla warfare.

This Taleban jihadist has mastered the fine art of concealement....

Be Seeing You,

Chris

10 posted on 09/29/2001 9:01:32 AM PDT by section9
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

Well the time is about right to initiate military action. I wouldn't be surprised to see some action tonight or tomorrow.

Here's what I would do if I were running things and realize that I am just playing "armchair general" here.

My overall strategy would be an initial massive attack followed by a few months of "phoney war" restricted to cutting off supply lines during the winter that is rapidly arriving.

I would have by now lined up hundreds of targets in Afghanistan of suspected terrorist hideouts. I would launch a massive assault of bombs and cruise missiles upon them this weekend. This would set off panic throughout Afghanistan and would send whatever is left of the Taliban deep into their caves.

At this point, it would become a waiting game. We would, over the next few months, put the entire area under heavy surveillance with the intent of locating hideouts and cutting off all supply lines to the terrorists in hiding. If the satellites saw a convoy of trucks heading to the mountains...KABOOM! I wouldn't even bother following them to see where they went. I'd just take them out.

I would have commandoes on recon dropped into mountainous areas looking for signs of activity. Once a target is located, an airstrike or cruise missile would be directed in. Any open caves would be demolished, sealing whoever might be inside forever. Due to the harsh winter conditions, these commandos would be dropped in and taken out by sunrise.

The entire winter would consist of these "small" commando missions. By spring, we would have the area secure enough to establish a military base right inside of Afghanistan. Then we just wait it out until the remnants of the Taliban in Afghanistan are either destroyed or starved out of assistance.

Then we will turn our eyes towards other hostile nations. Iraq...Iran...Syria. If they haven't cleaned up their acts by then, they will be next.

11 posted on 09/29/2001 9:01:36 AM PDT by SamAdams76

Comment #12 Removed by Moderator

I'll take my chances with King Kong; I seem to remember him falling in the end.
13 posted on 09/29/2001 9:02:53 AM PDT by steveegg

To: BurkeanCyclist
Top American officials have said the US will not play to the strengths of the Taliban militia, which is considered masters of gorilla warfare. You mean they beat their chests and make a lot of noise? Yeah, I've noticed that.

They also wipe their butts with their own hands and feet...

14 posted on 09/29/2001 9:03:28 AM PDT by hispanarepublicana
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 6 | View Replies]

To: Manny Festo
A BWAHAHAHAHA!!!!! bump.
15 posted on 09/29/2001 9:04:35 AM PDT by steveegg
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 12 | View Replies]

To: thingumbob
I don't think the Taliban is going to find that dealing with the 101st et al is going to be quite the same as fighting a bunch of Russian conscripts who had no beef with the Afghans and only wanted to go home.
16 posted on 09/29/2001 9:06:05 AM PDT by comitatus
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 7 | View Replies]

To: BurkeanCyclist
You mean they beat their chests and make a lot of noise? Yeah, I've noticed that.

ROFL!

17 posted on 09/29/2001 9:06:46 AM PDT by Dan Day
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 6 | View Replies]

To: Scott from the Left Coast
"We are getting some "hints" of action today."

Good...keep it that way. We've been told this will be significantly different than Desert Storm. By that, I hope the intent was Bernie Shaw or Christi-yawn Amanpour will not be broadcasting live from the front lines. Let the military do their jobs!!! W and Rumsfeld are smart enough to fight a war without worrying about the positivity of the spin. Military victory is paramount, political benefit takes a back seat. Thank GOD the grown ups are in charge! I do fear most Americans are blind to how defining and precipitous a moment this is in history.

18 posted on 09/29/2001 9:06:52 AM PDT by Joe 6-pack
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

Top American officials have said the US will not play to the strengths of the Taliban militia, which is considered masters of gorilla warfare. Wow, wait til PETA hears about this!
19 posted on 09/29/2001 9:06:58 AM PDT by shortstop

To: Joe 6-pack
"I do fear most Americans are blind to how defining and precipitous a moment this is in history."

I agree. A defining time, perhaps for the next 100 years.

20 posted on 09/29/2001 9:09:23 AM PDT by blam
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 18 | View Replies]

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-6061-80 ... 101-111 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson