Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Sensitive men need not apply
The Deseret News ^ | 10/1/2001 | Marianne M. Jennings

Posted on 10/01/2001 1:02:59 PM PDT by Utah Girl

Just prior to the new day of infamy, the Wall Street Journal ran a front-page piece on a new trend for men: hairless chests. Olympic swimmer Mark Spitz worried us when he took to the bald chest in 1972 for aerodynamic purposes. Now men covet the smooth, silky look. Male models are told to show up with hairless torsi. Imagine Ulysses Grant, Ike, or Douglas MacArthur booking some tanning bed time and a chest wax.

I miss real men. Marshal Dillon men. Men with hair on their chests and in their ears. Men like Eliot Ness. Sensitive man is king, or head of an autonomous collective, as sensitive man would say.

Sensitive man is warm, politically correct and passive, much like Mr. Rogers. Never a cross word. Gleeful in his patience with childhood tutorials.

But, I don't trust sensitive man. This figment of enlightened imagination seems to be inches away from snapping. When the camera light went off, Fred Rogers probably flung his cardigan, hurled a blue tennis shoe at the crew, and sent a cloud of obscenities over Pittsburgh that consumed the steel plants' black smoke.

But, Mr. Rogers and that King Friday perhaps single-handedly fueled the box office for Stallone and Schwarzenegger movies. Men raised on PBS loons needed the comfort of martial arts and reassurance of weapons.

Real men are relegated to fiction and B movies. Constrained by the looming death penalty for sexual harassment, the prissy demands for diaper changing and the condemnation of language patrols, real men wither and eunuch sensitive man emerges.

Over the past few weeks, the linguistics police have been busy suppressing a threatened emergence of real men. President Bush, with evidence of an evolving real man swagger, has taken a beating for saying aloud of Mr. bin Laden, the likely mastermind behind the WTC massacres, "Wanted: Dead or Alive." The chattering class, well, chattered, about this real man faux pas, "What kind of message does this send to the world?" One hopes this: "Mr. Rogers and the chest-waxing thing aside, we mean business."

Mr. Bush also took some chin hits for using "crusade." Sensitive man may have a soul mate, but religion is taboo. God can bless America all he wants, just don't expect organized religion in return. Sensitive man theorists tittered about the morally offensive Crusades and touted their age-old bunk: Religion has cost the world more lives than war. Ignoring the obvious goal differences with the Crusades, such as the United States having no interest in conquering Afghanistan (the welfare alone would break the lock box), one can use "crusade" as a non-proper noun to mean, "a cause pursued with zeal."

Then, Fran Lebowitz, one of those funky NYC literati, appeared with Brian Williams on MSNBC and declared that she likes nothing President Bush has said since the WTC collapse. Her shallow observation, at the root of her sensitive man ire, was that the president called the terrorist "folks." She scolded and clucked that "folks" is a term used when you have people over, not for terrorists. Her literal literary mind missed the charm. Calling bin Laden et al. "folks" has a certain wit. It's real men wit — sort of folksy.

Real men don't self-censor. Their language reflects the swagger. But, we've beaten the swagger out of men so that we have grovelers and blubberers. Dan Rather, sensitive man writ satellite, sobbed his way through an appearance on

David Letterman. This picture of the American male ought to send the terrorist folks scurrying.

Afghanistan, with two working tanks and 16 aircraft, two of which are cannibalized for parts for the others, shows no fear in going to war with the United States, for they have seen sensitive man. Over 6,000 innocent lives were taken

on our soil and the days since have been spent apologizing to Arab Americans, correcting phraseology and debating whether we should give peace a chance.

The terrorist folks have also witnessed 140 protests at campuses around the country demanding a "nonviolent" resolution. Tom Brokaw can now write: "The Most Sensitive Generation."

Negotiating with those who have already infiltrated your country is sensitive man military strategy. Giving bin Laden a good tongue-lashing is not going to break up worldwide terrorist cells. A sample of sensitive man negotiations: We promise to surrender the stock market if you promise to give us your box cutters and pilot licenses.

The sensitive man at war. Constrained in his language. Restrained in the use of force. Fretting over collateral damage. However, I did see Marines preparing to ship overseas. Their biceps defied the sleeves of their fatigues. Combat boots in lieu of blue tennis shoes. And just beneath white T-shirts at their nearly neckless shoulders, I saw hair peeking out from chests.

They cut a wide swath, these men on a crusade to rid us of some nasty folks, dead or alive. One said, "Bring it on." Well said, real man.

TOPICS: Culture/Society; Your Opinion/Questions
KEYWORDS:
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-6061-70 next last

1 posted on 10/01/2001 1:02:59 PM PDT by Utah Girl
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: summer
ping
2 posted on 10/01/2001 1:03:55 PM PDT by Utah Girl
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: Utah Girl
Real men play hockey. Like, uh . . . Alberta's Child!
3 posted on 10/01/2001 1:06:45 PM PDT by Alberta's Child

Nice find! The dims will NEVER "get it." Thank you.
4 posted on 10/01/2001 1:10:09 PM PDT by lodwick

"Dan Rather, sensitive man writ satellite, sobbed his way through an appearance on David Letterman. This picture of the American male ought to send the terrorist folks scurrying."

I was castigated for mentioning this at the office after it happened. The men shrugged and said oh well, and the women screeched that I was "insensitive."

5 posted on 10/01/2001 1:10:20 PM PDT by 101viking
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

Comment #6 Removed by Moderator

There must be some "market forces" in play here. I mean, there must be some women who want this kind of man. There must be women who see a waxed chest and immediately start panting. Or else why would men do it? The straight ones, I mean?

It's probably a lot of hype anyway. I mean, what do models have to do with reality anyway? Come to think of it, probably 99% of the men with waxed chests are either swimmers, gay, or both.

7 posted on 10/01/2001 1:10:48 PM PDT by Huck

President Bush, with evidence of an evolving real man swagger, has taken a beating for saying aloud of Mr. bin Laden, the likely mastermind behind the WTC massacres, "Wanted: Dead or Alive." The chattering class, well, chattered, about this real man faux pas, "What kind of message does this send to the world?"

"Dyin' ain't no way to make a livin', boy."
Clint Eastwood, real man, as The Outlaw Josey Wales

8 posted on 10/01/2001 1:11:30 PM PDT by workerbee

Oddly enough, I was just thinking about Eliot Ness before reading this. After he retired from law enforcement, he became a true hoplophobe : Thought all guns were evil and wouldn't allow one in his home. I guess all those years of being shot at make this understandable, but it's still disappointing that one with so deserved a reputation as an American hero would, if alive today, probably be on the side of those wishing to destroy our Second Amendment rights.
9 posted on 10/01/2001 1:13:04 PM PDT by kaylar

Dan Blather ain't a man. He's Janet Reno's twin sister.
10 posted on 10/01/2001 1:14:04 PM PDT by maxwell

Now men covet the smooth, silky look.

Glad I missed that fashion trend, and will continue to do so.

11 posted on 10/01/2001 1:14:10 PM PDT by FreedomPoster

To: one_particular_harbour
A "real man" in a swimming pool looks like a floating doormat.
12 posted on 10/01/2001 1:15:15 PM PDT by Alberta's Child
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 6 | View Replies]

Comment #13 Removed by Moderator

So nice of Fran Leibowitz to pipe up, that hideous, dwarf dyke.She may dress with more machismo than Al Gore, but no man,especially this one with his own full chest of hair, needs to hear her pathetic mewlings.Frannie, babe, I'm not sensitive, and proud of it.
14 posted on 10/01/2001 1:15:52 PM PDT by habs4ever

To: 101viking
I just got the newest TV guide. There was a stomach turning 'cheer' in their Cheers & Jeers section, wherein they praised Rather, Jennings, and Brokaw for their performance immediately after 9/11/2001. Called them 'true anchors'. They appear to be trying to create opinion, rather than reflect it : They must know how many were offended by Jenning's attitude especially, so they're publishing this cheer to frighten the intellectually timid who were offended into questioning their own judgment. After all, if the "experts" think Rather and Jennings did a good job, it must be so.
15 posted on 10/01/2001 1:17:06 PM PDT by kaylar
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

YES.

Out goes Leonardo DiCrapio, in goes "John McClane"

Now if they finally bring back the Miami Vice Beard, I'll be very happy!

16 posted on 10/01/2001 1:18:30 PM PDT by Dan from Michigan

We had this particularly virile looking guy at work. He had a lot of chest hair. I have none. Once in a while I had wished I had more. One day the topic came up
during a group discussion and he mentioned something I'd never thought of. He stated that he didn't like being so hairy because it hindered him feeling his mate when
they were close. That was the last time I ever wished I had more chest hair. EOS.

17 posted on 10/01/2001 1:18:41 PM PDT by DoughtyOne

I'm getting hair on my back. I guess I'm doomed.
18 posted on 10/01/2001 1:18:53 PM PDT by George Smiley

To: workerbee
Is Clint really a real man, or did he just play one in the movies?
19 posted on 10/01/2001 1:19:06 PM PDT by Huck
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8 | View Replies]

To: FreedomPoster
Same here - from a woman. Now, hair backs are another thing.
20 posted on 10/01/2001 1:19:10 PM PDT by TXBubba
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 11 | View Replies]

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-6061-70 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson