Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

As schools reduce role of earth sciences, some fear risk to key fields
Dallas Morning News ^ | October 2, 2001 | JOSHUA BENTON

Posted on 10/02/2001 11:36:38 AM PDT by Cincinatus' Wife

As much as any state, Texas has prospered from the bounty of the earth. Oil and gas have built staggering fortunes and shining skylines.

But a group of geologists, academics, and corporate executives is arguing that the state is risking its future prosperity by letting its schools' commitment to the earth sciences erode.

"If you don't get kids exposed to these things in the classroom, how are they going to learn?" said Jon L. Thompson, president of Exxon Mobil Exploration Co. and one of dozens lobbying officials to strengthen the state's commitment to the field.

State officials acknowledge that a series of recent decisions has helped to move earth science to the margins. But they say it's the unintended consequence of well-meaning reforms.

"The unfortunate net result is that earth science has become something we never meant it to be, which is essentially ignored," said Chris Castillo-Comer, director of science in the Texas Education Agency's division of curriculum and professional develop- ment.

Ms. Castillo-Comer and advocates for earth science say the root causes for the shift are several converging changes in the past few years.

Among them is the state's new curriculum, adopted in 1998, which eliminated focused study of earth science in third, fifth, and eighth grades as part of a shift toward broader "general science" classes that touch on each field of science in every grade.

The Texas Assessment of Knowledge and Skills, which will replace the TAAS testing system in 2003, also replaces the eighth-grade science test with a fifth-grade test. The change was made to ease the load on eighth-graders, who will take three other tests in the new regimen.

And last year, the State Board of Education changed a rule that allowed high school students to take earth science to fulfill science requirements. Officials want to be sure all students study biology, chemistry and physics. Starting with freshmen this fall, earth science counts only as an elective.

Add all those changes up, and the place for earth science - the study of rocks, lakes, volcanoes, and other things terrestrial - is shrinking.

Some schools still offer earth science classes as electives, but Ms. Castillo-Comer said few students take them if they can't be counted toward science graduation requirements. Fewer than a quarter of Texas high schools even offer an elective in geology, meteorology, and oceanography, the main earth science high school course approved by the state, she said. It's too soon to tell how the changes have affected class enrollments.

"The result of this is that earth science is going to be just a middle school subject in Texas," said Mike Smith, director of education for the American Geological Institute, which has been coordinating the lobbying efforts in Texas. "Kids may learn earth science as 11- or 12-year-olds and never encounter the subject again."

He said that, if there is a national trend in earth science education, it's to increase its presence in the curriculum as environmental and energy issues become more important. For example, North Carolina made high school earth science a required course for graduation last year. The National Science Education Standards, produced by the National Research Council in 1996, includes earth science in its standards at each grade through senior year.

"These people are going to be voters someday, and they need to know something about the earth, the water, the soil, the environment if they're going to understand the issues they'll be facing," said Edward Roy, a professor of geology at Trinity University in San Antonio and chair of AGI's education advisory committee.

More than a dozen oil company executives have written letters or made phone calls criticizing the move away from earth science in Texas, a state with more working geologists than any other. "It's difficult to imagine that a state that's benefited so much from the bounty of the earth and should be so concerned about the future would neglect this part of education," said Robert Stern, who heads the geosciences department at the University of Texas at Dallas.

Grace Shore, the State Board of Education chairwoman, said she has gotten 40 to 50 letters on the subject in recent months - "more than I've received on any other curriculum item." She said she's sympathetic to their concerns.

"We have a very narrow focus in our science curriculum," she said. "I would like to see more courses counted for science credit."

But she said the state must keep that narrow focus in order to have a sensible testing system. If high school students are going to be tested in a subject area, they need to take the classes necessary to prepare them for that test.

All Texas students are required to take biology and at least an integrated course in chemistry and physics; as a result, officials say, all students can be fairly tested on those subjects. Let some students take earth science instead of chemistry, they say, and the integrity of the test could be compromised. "We can't test everything," Ms. Shore said.

As a result, she said, earth science probably won't be used for science credit unless the science requirement is expanded from two to three credits, something that Ms. Shore supports but probably would take several years to accomplish.

"You get back to the old problem of how many hours are there in the day?" she said.

Until larger changes can be made, Ms. Castillo-Comer - herself a former earth science teacher - and others are trying to find smaller ways to bring the field back to prominence. While earth science objectives will not be tested on the exit-level Texas Assessment of Knowledge and Skills, Ms. Castillo-Comer said officials will try to include some questions that use earth science settings to deal with concepts of biology, chemistry or physics.

"I know the importance of earth science in making sure that our kids connect back to the earth, especially in our huge urban schools," Ms. Castillo-Comer said. "It's been very difficult, and everyone is concerned. But we're not going to lose it entirely. We just have to keep working at it."

TOPICS: Culture/Society; News/Current Events
KEYWORDS:
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-35 next last

1 posted on 10/02/2001 11:36:38 AM PDT by Cincinatus' Wife
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: Cincinatus' Wife
The earth science curriculum is too rational. It gives young minds the ability to understand that boogeymen such as GlobalWarming don't really exist
2 posted on 10/02/2001 11:48:50 AM PDT by KayEyeDoubleDee
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

"Kids may learn earth science as 11- or 12-year-olds and never encounter the subject again."

While I agree that earth science is a valuable part of a complete education, this statement is utter nonsense. The beauty of earth science is that you "encounter the subject" every time you look at a map, drive through the countryside, or see a weather report on the news.

3 posted on 10/02/2001 11:51:28 AM PDT by Alberta's Child

Among them is the state's new curriculum, adopted in 1998, which eliminated focused study of earth science in third, fifth, and eighth grades as part of a shift toward broader "general science" classes that touch on each field of science in every grade.

This could be very bad, if "touching" means to give the students a superficial or cursory treatment of the different scientific fields in every grade. The students will end up knowing next to nothing.

I would rather see focused courses on earth science, biology, chemistry, and physics. The first three, at least, should be required to graduate from high school.

4 posted on 10/02/2001 11:57:30 AM PDT by Logophile

At least they'll know how to fist their buddies.
5 posted on 10/02/2001 12:00:32 PM PDT by dead

To: Alberta's Child
The beauty of earth science is that you "encounter the subject" every time you look at a map, drive through the countryside, or see a weather report on the news.

Excellent point.

6 posted on 10/02/2001 12:02:17 PM PDT by Logophile
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

To: KayEyeDoubleDee
The earth science curriculum is too rational. It gives young minds the ability to understand that boogeymen such as GlobalWarming don't really exist.

Yes. When you're armed with knowledge, you aren't so easily duped.

7 posted on 10/02/2001 12:04:45 PM PDT by Cincinatus' Wife
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

Earth science enrollment may be dropping, but so are other science programs such as physics. Physics is being dropped altogether in some school systems. Considering all the excitement about shortages of engineers that followed Sputnik [anniversary in a couple days] the continued drift away from difficult studies is flabbergasting.
8 posted on 10/02/2001 12:07:55 PM PDT by RightWhale

Add all those changes up, and the place for earth science - the study of rocks, lakes, volcanoes, and other things terrestrial - is shrinking.

Isn't that what we called geography?

9 posted on 10/02/2001 12:14:07 PM PDT by Protect the Bill of Rights

To: RightWhale
...the continued drift away from difficult studies is flabbergasting.

Public schools are stocked with teachers from schools of education and many are teaching outside their field or woefully uninformed about their subject.

10 posted on 10/02/2001 12:16:07 PM PDT by Cincinatus' Wife
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8 | View Replies]

To: dead
LOL
11 posted on 10/02/2001 12:19:37 PM PDT by DainBramage
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

Earth science enrollment may be dropping, but so are other science programs such as physics. Physics is being dropped altogether in some school systems.

The important point is that students are not just choosing to avoid the hard sciences; the schools themselves are choosing not to teach these subjects. There is no reason that mathematics and science cannot be required for graduation.

Considering all the excitement about shortages of engineers that followed Sputnik [anniversary in a couple days] the continued drift away from difficult studies is flabbergasting.

Perhaps not so flabbergasting, at least from the students' point of view. If a student is allowed to avoid difficult subjects in high school, he or she will continue to avoid difficult subjects in college. By the time they reach college, most students have already made choices that preclude their majoring in math, science, or engineering.

12 posted on 10/02/2001 12:22:09 PM PDT by Logophile

To: Protect the Bill of Rights
Isn't that what we called geography?

Geography tells us, what's where.

Geology tells us the physical processes that occurred.

I'm sure that's pretty simplistic.

13 posted on 10/02/2001 12:23:00 PM PDT by Cincinatus' Wife
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 9 | View Replies]

Public schools are stocked with teachers from schools of education

Exactly. I taught in high school for a while. We were required to take university education courses if we lacked a degree in education. Not in what to teach, but how to teach. Not in what to do if you had a budding Isaac Newton in your class, but how to bring the entire class up to certain limited levels of proficiency.

14 posted on 10/02/2001 12:27:18 PM PDT by RightWhale
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 10 | View Replies]

To: Logophile
If a student is allowed to avoid difficult subjects in high school, he or she will continue to avoid difficult subjects in college. By the time they reach college, most students have already made choices that preclude their majoring in math, science, or engineering

Yes. This is a big failure in our education system. We have kids who literally don't know why the wind blows.

15 posted on 10/02/2001 12:29:17 PM PDT by MaeWest
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 12 | View Replies]

Exactly. I taught in high school for a while.

You are a braver man (or woman) that I.

16 posted on 10/02/2001 12:29:25 PM PDT by Logophile
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 14 | View Replies]

But we'll replace those stuffy old white-males of European origion dominated siences with such important and very crucial subjects like World Peace, Why Guns Are Bad, Homosexual Tactics I and II, and How to Stop Global Warming and Save the Whales.
17 posted on 10/02/2001 12:40:49 PM PDT by Cleburne

Here's an Earth Sciences trained high school teacher who wishes that we actually taught Earth Sciences in high school.

I actually got a B.S. degree in Earth Science... and a M.S. in Science Education (Earth & Environmental Sciences Emphasis) but can't get my full pay right now because I don't have all the educationalese courses the state requires.... But that's a different argument for a different day.

I just started my first year at my old alma mater, and I am teaching Physical Science because that's the spot they needed me to fill. It's really sad that we don't have a geology, astronomy, oceanography, or meteorolgy class of any type after 8th grade.... Biology, Chemistry, and Physics get the push and the Geosciences are left behind.

My $.02

18 posted on 10/02/2001 12:47:40 PM PDT by mwyounce

To: Logophile
The Texas Assessment of Knowledge and Skills, which will replace the TAAS testing system in 2003, also replaces the eighth-grade science test with a fifth-grade test. The change was made to ease the load on eighth-graders, who will take three other tests in the new regimen.

What's next, replacing the eighth-grade science test with a third-grade test?

19 posted on 10/02/2001 12:51:10 PM PDT by Cincinatus' Wife
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 12 | View Replies]

To: mwyounce
I don't have all the educationalese courses the state requires.... But that's a different argument for a different day.

Actually, I believe that is the root of the problem.

20 posted on 10/02/2001 12:56:03 PM PDT by Cincinatus' Wife
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 18 | View Replies]

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-35 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson