Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Individual choice trumps church doctrine, some Catholics say
Buffalo News ^ | 10/02/01 | Sandra Tan

Posted on 10/02/2001 8:25:54 PM PDT by madprof98

Invoking the Catholic teaching that following an individual's conscience is key in making moral decisions, the president of Catholics for a Free Choice said any decisions Catholics make about birth control and abortion should be a matter of personal choice, not church dogma.

Frances Kissling spoke at the annual luncheon for Planned Parenthood of Buffalo and Erie County and told about 400 audience members Monday that institutions like Planned Parenthood should not consider Catholics an enemy to the cause of women's reproductive rights.

"Catholics are friends of this movement," Kissling said.

She also made a distinction between the conscience of a male-dominated Catholic institution and the consciences of the 65 million individual Catholics in the United States, many of whom have expressed disagreement with church teachings on contraception and abortion issues in public polls.

That distinction is becoming increasingly important for reproductive rights groups that are pressuring New York State lawmakers to remove the "conscience clause" from a Women's Health and Wellness bill that allows religiously affiliated employers and insurance companies to opt out of covering birth control under their insurance plans.

Kissling said a goal of her organization is to neutralize the effectiveness of Catholic bishops in the public policy arena and to remove the perception that the church hierarchy is morally superior to groups like the Red Cross or the Sierra Club.

"The Catholic Church should speak out on public policy," she said, "but they can't expect to participate in the public policy arena at a higher level than other lobbying groups."

Unfortunately, she said, legislators often feel intimidated by Catholic leaders and are afraid to oppose them.

"Nobody wants to pick a fight with the pope," she said.

Though Kissling said no Catholic leader has threatened her with excommunication, many have assailed her organization, and plenty of lay Catholics have condemned the group's position and stated that they do not believe the group's members are true Catholics.

Some of those critics were on hand Monday outside the Hyatt Regency, where the luncheon was held.

Said Anne Dill, a Catholic protester from Buffalo: "These Catholics for a Free Choice - they're not Catholics at all. They're not even Christian."

Judy Gorman, director of pro-life activities for the Diocese of Buffalo, agreed with the protesters' assertion that no one who believes in abortion rights can be Catholic. She also questioned polls showing Catholic support for abortion rights issues, saying many of those polled may not be practicing Catholics.

"If you have a true Catholic faith, then your conscience would tell you that abortion and artificial contraception are wrong," she said. "Reproductive health is one thing, but abortion is not reproduction."

Kissling said Catholics are free to disagree with church teachings and noted that the church has many positions with which she and other members of her organization do agree: belief in Jesus Christ, Mary, the Trinity, and social callings such as advocacy for the poor and the denunciation of racism.

She said she does not believe reproductive issues should be the defining issues when it comes to matters of faith.

TOPICS: Culture/Society; News/Current Events
KEYWORDS:
When she boasts that she hasn't been excommunicated, she does have a point.
1 posted on 10/02/2001 8:25:54 PM PDT by madprof98
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: madprof98
Though Kissling said no Catholic leader has threatened her with excommunication, many have assailed her organization ...

I wonder how many people know that her organization has no members. Seriously, it's nothing more than a front for her to spout her nonsense.

My guess is that she hasn't been excommunicated because people who aren't yet seven years old haven't yet reached the age of reason.

2 posted on 10/02/2001 8:38:15 PM PDT by Alberta's Child
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

One of the reasons I haven't taken the Buffalo News in years is that it's the most virulently anti Christian rag going. They always print negative stuff about Catholics, Evangelicals or other conservative believers. And they are militantly pro death.
3 posted on 10/02/2001 8:43:21 PM PDT by nofriendofbills

"If you have a true Catholic faith, then your conscience would tell you that abortion and artificial contraception are wrong,"

The concept of individual conscience trumping either church or Pope is more Protestant than Catholic, Sandra. The difference between you and Luther is what shapes your conscience. For Luther it was the Bible. "My conscience is held captive to the Word of God."

I expect for Pope Sandra conscience and self interest are fused.

dr. j

4 posted on 10/02/2001 8:44:53 PM PDT by drstevej

Kissling said Catholics are free to disagree with church teachings and noted that the church has many positions with which she and other members of her organization do agree: belief in Jesus Christ, Mary, the Trinity, and social callings such as advocacy for the poor and the denunciation of racism.

Whenever I read about Frances Kissling and her (no members) Catholics for a Free Choice, the scripture reading about MILLSTONES comes to mind. She and her ilk have done so much to confuse Catholics for so many years, aided and abetted by the major media which seems to be gleeful when it repeats this kind of tripe!

She claims to believe all the other things the Church teaches, yet she balks at the Church's teaching on abortion? Somehow, I don't believe HER.

5 posted on 10/02/2001 8:46:49 PM PDT by SuziQ

What if my conscience tells me to assassinate prominent pro-abortion so-called Catholics? Would that be as okay as if my conscicence tells me to murder little babies by becoming an abortionist? Hello? Ms. Kisseling?
6 posted on 10/02/2001 8:46:50 PM PDT by Andrew Byler

To: nofriendofbills
Guess who owns that rag? Warren Buffett.Why is doctrine referred to as dogma? Such a curious, and pejorative use of language, isn't it?
7 posted on 10/02/2001 8:47:19 PM PDT by habs4ever
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

You cannot qualify your Catholicisim with the advocacy of a mortal sin.

There is no such thing as a pro-abortion Catholic.

Nor is there any such thing as a pro-adulterer Catholic or pro-murder Catholic.

They cannot co-exist.

8 posted on 10/02/2001 8:50:21 PM PDT by Jacvin

When she boasts that she hasn't been excommunicated, she does have a point.

That's heresy! She should be execommunicated immidiately!

Makes me sad.

9 posted on 10/02/2001 9:11:29 PM PDT by Smogger

I wonder if she is even baptized. Are baptismal records public? It's not as though she would heed an excommunication--it would only provide her with more publicity.
10 posted on 10/03/2001 12:09:58 AM PDT by Dumb_Ox

Actually, she's wrong. Bp. Bruskewitz excommunicated her and her followers a few years ago, didn't he?
11 posted on 10/07/2001 12:45:33 PM PDT by Aristophanes

Comment #12 Removed by Moderator

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson