Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Post Falls man wants city to have no ties with U.N.
http://www.spokesmanreview.com/ ^ | Tuesday, October 2, 2001 | Erica Curless - Staff writer

Posted on 10/02/2001 8:49:58 PM PDT by freedomnews

Post Falls man wants city to have no ties with U.N.

Mayor Larkin not exactly certain what those connections might be

Erica Curless - Staff writer

POST FALLS _ Ed Dunne wants the United Nations kicked out of town.

No flags. No business dealings. No donations. Nothing that supports the global organization that pledges to promote world peace and security while maintaining treaties and international law.

"It's basically a symbolic situation," said Dunne, a Post Falls resident who thinks the U.N. is in direct conflict with the U.S. Constitution and Bill of Rights.

Dunne's U.N.-Free Zone proposal goes to the City Council tonight.

Mayor Clay Larkin is unsure how the council will respond. Just like he's unsure why Dunne thinks Post Falls has any involvement with the U.N.

"It's an international problem not a Post Falls problem," Larkin said. "It needs to be dealt with by the Congress of the United States."

No blue and white U.N. flag flies over the Post Falls City Hall and the city has no business dealings with the group.

Only two other towns have adopted a U.N.-free zone -- La Verkin, Utah, and the unincorporated township of Bingham, N.M.

A woman who answered the phone at La Verkin City Hall said Mayor Dan E. Howard forwards calls about the U.N.-free zone to a city spokeswoman.

La Verkin, at the foot of Zion National Park, is a town of 3,400 with a part-time mayor who has no office.

The spokeswoman didn't return calls Monday, but La Verkin's Web site touts the zone and asks people who support the U.N.-free notion to donate $10 to the city fund as a form of "moral support."

Donors become official honorary La Verkin citizens and receive a certificate signed by the mayor and three council members.

Post Falls' Dunne got the idea after seeing an Internet article about La Verkin's Fourth of July declaration of independence from the U.N.

Doing away with the global group is a grassroots fight, Dunne said.

He pointed to the current skirmish in Klamath Falls, Ore., where the U.S. Bureau of Reclamation is withholding nearly 90 percent of the region's irrigation water to protect two species of endangered suckerfish.

"The real goal is total control and U.N. rule," Dunne said.

He said the government starts small by taking people's property rights. Soon, he said, all rights are eroded.

The proposal Dunne submitted to the Post Falls City Council is from the Internet -- a fill-in-the-blank form where towns plug their name in to declare independence.

The law would forbid the use of the U.N. insignia on Post Falls city property and the spending of any city cash to support the organization.

It would also require people, schools or businesses who support or work for the U.N. to register with the city so the council can keep residents informed of any "United Nations" activity.

People with U.N. links also would have to pay a fee, determined by the city, to enforce the law.

If people don't register their U.N. support or pay the fee, they could face up to 30 days in jail and a $500 fine.

All of the requirements violate the U.S. Constitution, says the Idaho American Civil Liberties Union.

"That flies in the face of the First Amendment," said Marty Durand, the ACLU's legislative counsel. "Our government doesn't ask us what organization we belong to."

And the proposal is too vague, especially when it comes to defining who qualifies as a U.N. supporter.

"What about the person who zips off a $20 check to UNICEF (United Nations Children's Fund)?" she said.

This is the first U.N.-free proposal Durand has heard of in Idaho.

Dunne bristles at the ACLU in general.

"The ACLU from my perspective stands for American Communist Lawyers Union and it supports leftist causes," he said.

Dunne is not part of any local anti-U.N. group and isn't sure how many people would support the U.N.-free zone idea.

He refused to say if residents of other North Idaho towns plan to present their city councils with similar proposals.

"A lot of people are really uninformed, he said.

"This might cause people to seek out the truth."

In the wake of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, Dunne sees this as a good time to have an anti-U.N. discussion although he prepared the proposal before the strike.

Too many people are willing to surrender their rights and freedoms for security, Dunne said.

Both U.N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan and New York City Mayor Rudolph Giuliani urged all countries of the world Monday to join the United States in the eradication of terrorism.

To that, Dunne said it's the U.N. that sponsors such terrorism that killed more than 6,000 people last month.

"They hate us and we support them," he said.

Also during Tuesday's meeting, the council will consider a resolution asking Post Falls residents to treat Muslims or people of Arab descent with respect.

"It's a nice thing strictly in support of the issue," Larkin said, adding it has nothing to do with the anti-U.N. proposal.

"Both fell at the same time."

The Post Falls City Council meets at 6 p.m. at City Hall.

TOPICS: Breaking News; Constitution/Conservatism; News/Current Events
KEYWORDS:
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-23 next last

1 posted on 10/02/2001 8:49:58 PM PDT by freedomnews
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: all
It's basically a symbolic situation," said Dunne, a Post Falls resident who thinks the U.N. is in direct conflict with the U.S. Constitution and Bill of Rights.
2 posted on 10/02/2001 8:59:56 PM PDT by freedomnews
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: freedomnews
WELL slowly but surely maybe we can oust them from the U.S.A.
3 posted on 10/02/2001 9:01:23 PM PDT by ATOMIC_PUNK

"Get Your City Out Of The UN" - Not a bad idea in my book.
4 posted on 10/02/2001 9:01:45 PM PDT by mafree

Now, if we could only do this with New York City.....(sigh).
5 posted on 10/02/2001 9:04:41 PM PDT by Untouchable

Here's an American who is ready to draw a line in the sand -- And it's ABOUT TIME !!

Lets roll the ball on this grass-roots movement to GET THE US OUT OF THE UN !

6 posted on 10/02/2001 9:05:18 PM PDT by Crowcreek

It would also require people, schools or businesses who support or work for the U.N. to register with the city so the council can keep residents informed of any "United Nations" activity. People with U.N. links also would have to pay a fee, determined by the city, to enforce the law. If people don't register their U.N. support or pay the fee, they could face up to 30 days in jail and a $500 fine.

Unfortunately, this section will be the poison pill to prevent an otherwise good initiative to die. Registering and paying to participate in the political process isn't a good plan.

7 posted on 10/02/2001 9:06:07 PM PDT by Jolly Rodgers

To: Jolly Rodgers
Why not rephrase it as registering as the agent of a non American government? And registering always requires a fee.
8 posted on 10/02/2001 9:10:16 PM PDT by RippleFire
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 7 | View Replies]

To: UN_list
UN_list: For United Nations articles
9 posted on 10/02/2001 9:11:30 PM PDT by RippleFire
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8 | View Replies]

To: freedomnews, Snow Bunny
Get the U.S. OUT of the U.N.

Get the U.N. OUT of the U.S.

Do I get my point across?

10 posted on 10/02/2001 9:45:13 PM PDT by B4Ranch

To: B4Ranch
yes you do
11 posted on 10/02/2001 10:06:08 PM PDT by freedomnews
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 10 | View Replies]

To: B4Ranch ;freedomnews
I have wanted the communist United Nations our of here since I was a little girl and my Father told me how bad they were, their history and the whole communist connection of its leaders. The whole sha bang.

I want them out yesterday.!!!!!!!

Hey U.N. get my drift.....you are NOT wanted NOR your commie leaders nor what you supposedly do in the name of peace.

Thanks for the thread and the ping. It always feels good to vent on my hate for the U.N. thanks.

12 posted on 10/02/2001 10:08:17 PM PDT by Snow Bunny

To: B4Ranch
GOOD post my friend.
13 posted on 10/02/2001 10:10:09 PM PDT by Snow Bunny

To: Snow Bunny
Agreed. I think these people are onto something here. Now how to hitch onto this bandwagon?
14 posted on 10/02/2001 10:13:27 PM PDT by NotJustAnotherPrettyFace
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 12 | View Replies]

How many enemy aliens at the UN?
15 posted on 10/02/2001 10:31:56 PM PDT by onedoug
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 13 | View Replies]

To: onedoug
Good point. I bet there are a lot of them. Thanks.
16 posted on 10/02/2001 10:36:51 PM PDT by Snow Bunny
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 15 | View Replies]

To: NotJustAnotherPrettyFace
Sign me up under passion for wanting the UN kicked out.
17 posted on 10/02/2001 10:38:31 PM PDT by Snow Bunny
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 14 | View Replies]

Eternal vvets bump!
18 posted on 10/02/2001 11:09:00 PM PDT by onedoug
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 16 | View Replies]

Thankyou Mr. Dunne! I pray for your success!
19 posted on 10/02/2001 11:14:03 PM PDT by brat

20 posted on 10/03/2001 12:47:16 AM PDT by let freedom sing

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-23 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson